Improved Gamepad Control: Test Build - free PZ Steam codes for active participants

Batsphinx

15 hours ago, Pandorea said:

@Kaleidozombie have you deleted Gamepad and Joypad folders + that gamepadBinding.config file? PS4 controller should be recognized (I know, because I've campaigned for this :D ) and I am also looking at much loved Square / Circle / Triangle / X displayed in game right now...

I did this and I am still getting the display options for an Xbox One controller. Is there something else I am missing?

Edit 1: I decided not to mess with the controller configuration this time and jump back into my save game. The problem with the actions for the triggers and the shoulder buttons both being bound to the triggers persists. Is there some other file I need to be deleting? Do I need to delete the game save that I created for this test as well?

Edit 2: I deleted my game and character save and started a new game. The control configuration is still carrying over after having deleted all of the files and folders that I was told to delete. I don't even know where to begin looking regarding whatever file is saving the controller configuration even after removing the other files mentioned.

Edited by Kaleidozombie

Work In Progress Report :)

I would like to say that I love this game and I played a lot of it.  Here is my Report for the new controller. I wanted to be able to play it with it so this is quite important for me.

What controller are you using?

Xbox One Controller

Does the controller work? 

It does I had to set it up in the options , It needed some customization

Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?

Although the controller works after I configure the controls in  the settings , I had hard time changing the melee to the trigger button. The controller It is relevant to what I have.  Here a screenshot of what I haveimage.thumb.png.0b13ad07c3fbd45c9a082cc27e83ae1c.png

image.thumb.png.19ec06e2ff55b8e25d74484c3f3b05c7.png

Nothing Stop me from putting  the same action in multiple buttons.  Also it is a bit confusing because I don't know which button is the triggers  and which is the LB and LR. 

How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?

It working but needs a lot work still. It  feels strange to open interact with  Doors and Other Items. Searching inside containers and get items feels good. Having hard time accessing the Inventory and using the items. I would enjoy to toggle sneak or not sneaking instead of using the right stick.

How would you like your gamepad play further improved?

The only thing i would like to be improved is the walking and interacting with the environment still feel a bit strange. The character keeps looking away when you walk towards a direction for example a fridge which makes it hard to loot.

Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?

I haven't played split-screen lately. Dont have many friend who like to play this game with me. 

In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?

I think if I couldn't be able to move , I will try to be more careful when searching though the area. 

What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?

When you try walk  towards a bookcase or door and you interact with it to show the menu even if you try  to move toward it , it keeps turning away.  I found a strange bug where to change the melee from B even if I change it , it did not change it. It only changed when I assented it to a different button. When I started a new game and pressed A on my controller to start the game , I could controller the character from start but the movement was invert. I had to press A and then select from menu take over the player 1 and then it  worked fine.

This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?

The game seem to run faster than normal. ( The problem was that I had to lock the fps to 60 because I am using 144herz).  

2018-11-16_22-00-42.thumb.gif.63dbbbef47c8581f39bafbeb0ab7d7c5.gif

What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?

The most important thing for me is to fix the character movement while Interacting with the Environment. Also turning around is not smooth and not hard to control. It does not always remember the direction you are moving. Also interacting with Doors seem not to be working very well. I press Interact and the door opens and closes. I would prefer to have a button to toggle Combat mode with a button and move and attack with a button. Toggle the sneak mode so you don't have turn around with the left stick.

I hope  that helps . I am going to keep testing it out. It feels a lot better than the  old. I really liked the customization screen  for the controller. Keep the good work. It is certainly in the right direction.

Edited by GamerUrso

I'm a keyboard+mouse player, just played a couple hours using my controller to help with the testing, so take it with a grain of salt :) 

1. What controller are you using?

Xbox 360

2. Does the controller work?

Yep

3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?

It works for the most part.

It seems some buttons have functions you cannot change, like 'A' is open door /enter vehicle. If you rebind A to melee for example you'll still have to use A to open a door and your character will do a melee attack every time you open a door. 

Also, it could say above the drop down menus what button is that you're actually changing, it's fairly obvious as it is right now, but you never know...

4.How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?

Aiming (both for objects to interact with and for zombies) felt a bit wonky to be honest, it's possible that some problems are on my end, not sure, see point 8. for details. 

The only thing I'm missing so far is a "loot all / transfer all" button, for convenience's sake.

5.How would you like your gamepad play further improved?

Pressing and holding buttons for different fuctions would be nice, like holding E on the keyboard to climb through windows.

Playing with a mouse I'm using zoom all the time, it's would be nice if you could just bind zoom in and zoom out to buttons (the triggers maybe)

6.Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?

No, don't play split screen.

7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?

I like to keep my health tab up when my character is seriously injured to keep an eye on it, being able to look around while dumping everything from your backpack into your trunk for example is really helpful obviously, and being able to walk around picking up and dropping thing while the crafting or vehicle tabs are up is pretty convinient too. I'd prefer to keep things as they are now, but changing it wouldn't ruin the game... Not being able to look around while looting would be a bit of a game changer I guess.

edit: I just read back in this thread to see what others pointed out and not being able to interact with your inventory while driving or quickly equip a weapon while walking away from zombies would be pretty horrible actually, so I changed my mind to a "please no" on this one :P 

8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?

My character sometimes seemed to turn into random directions when I stopped walking. I walked up to a cupboard to loot it and instead of stopping in front of the cupboard facing it, my character turned away from it when I stopped. Same when I walk up to a zombie to kill it, once I'm in melee reach I stop and press the attack button and sometimes my guy would swing in a random direction, NOT in the direction I was walking (towards the zombie).

Maybe it's a deadzone issue (or the lack of dead zone), as I'm releasing the stick I accidentally move it in another direction a little bit and that makes the character turn. Just a guess though, I don't have this problem with other games.

The other thing is that I was having a really hard time trying to select the object I wanted to interact with. The highlighted object is never the one in front of my character. I can't just face a door and open it, I have to stand in some weird angle or even face away from it to be able to open it. Some examples:

Trying to open the window here and the small cupboard on the wall gets highlighted

screenshot 1

Having to stand further away and face away from the counter to get it highlighted

screenshot 2

It's the same with opening doors, jumping fences, with every object basically, not just occasionally.

Also the game drops me out to the main menu every time I try to enter a car.

Also, when you press the interact button it shows you the list of thing you can do (carpentry, remove grass, etc..), but if there's nothing you can interact with it doesn't show you anything, while some buttons are blocked because you're technically in the 'interact' menu. Basicly you can accidentally block some of your buttons and actiions by pressing X, with no visual indications that they're blocked because you're in the interact menu. Not a likely scenario but it can happen I guess, it would help if you wouldn't go into an invisibe interact menu at all if ther'es nothing to interact with.

9.This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?

Yes, I'm using 1920x1200, I was having stuttering and "random slowdown" problems with the latest stable build, they seems to be gone in this build. I cannot test the performance while driving due to the bug with vehicles I mentioned.

10.What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?

Being hard to highlight/ interact with the object I want is the most annoying problem to me.  

Edited by crossed

1. What controller are you using?

I'm using DualShock 4 v2.

Yes, it works correctly.

3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?

You could add background image of pad depending on what pad it is, it is not that much counter-intuitive, however it could be easier for a person that is not that familiar with XBOX controller.

4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?

How would you like your gamepad play further improved?

At first it felt weird, because Y-axis was inverted and X was not. I'm not used to such settings so I used "Inverse move by Y axis" and "Inverse aim by Y axis" to make it playable for me.

Also I had real trouble with opening doors and jumping through window. I had really tough time finding those accurate spots where action of opening doors or jumping through window pops up and becomes useable.

Another thing was that I couldn't reach kitchen counter in the corner of the room. Normally I would just click it with the mouse, but with pad I couldn't tell the game that I was trying to reach that counter.

I feel like there should be a separate option for hitting with weapon and for simply pushing the opponent.

5. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?

No, I have only one pad and no one to play splitscreen with.

6. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?

It would make every look into inventory really risky, I wouldn't dare to open my inventory screen when zombies are nearby as I could risk really stupid death.

7. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?

I have been looking around while bleeding for something to bandage my wounds and then got approached by zombie. To my surprise I couldn't even push him, my character couldn't defend himself, only thing I could do was to run from danger.

Everytime I opened and then closed inventory I also performed a push.

I quit to main menu when I have entered the vehicle.

8. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?

I haven't noticed any changes, my game was going smoothly as it was before entering the beta.

What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?

I think interaction with environment should be fixed. for example, running from zombie, opening the door and then quickly closing it behind ourselves is at the moment really troublesome.

Edited by Deharath

21 hours ago, Kaleidozombie said:

I did this and I am still getting the display options for an Xbox One controller. Is there something else I am missing?

Edit 1: I decided not to mess with the controller configuration this time and jump back into my save game. The problem with the actions for the triggers and the shoulder buttons both being bound to the triggers persists. Is there some other file I need to be deleting? Do I need to delete the game save that I created for this test as well?

Edit 2: I deleted my game and character save and started a new game. The control configuration is still carrying over after having deleted all of the files and folders that I was told to delete. I don't even know where to begin looking regarding whatever file is saving the controller configuration even after removing the other files mentioned.

So what happens when you start a new game with a new character and after deleting files / folders and not changing anything? Do you get Duashock  or Xbone controls in game? 

Also, "control configuration is still carrying over" ...do you mean bindings that you've set in a previous game? or is this about being unable to change some of the bindings?

On 11/15/2018 at 8:08 PM, Хибити\Hibiti [BLR] said:

more precisely, it works. But it would be nice to see the picture for my gamepad :)

Also, with my gamepad, I do not see the whole menu:

Could you try with a different resolution? 

I've highlighted the issue so hopefully the bugfixing will happen swiftly...

1 hour ago, Pandorea said:

So what happens when you start a new game with a new character and after deleting files / folders and not changing anything? Do you get Duashock  or Xbone controls in game? 

Also, "control configuration is still carrying over" ...do you mean bindings that you've set in a previous game? or is this about being unable to change some of the bindings?

After deleting the files and starting over with a new save and character (including deleting the old game and character save) I start the game up and get the Xbox One controller buttons in the UI and the Xbox One controller image in the configuration window. As for configuration carrying over, I do mean the bindings from the previous game carrying over into this one despite having deleted the Gamepads and Joypads folders and the gamepadBinding.config file. If I switch back to the IWBUMS build and begin playing the controls all work fine. If I load up the Controller Test build then the controls revert to the bindings that were set before.

To go into a bit more detail, after starting the game up and moving about in game for a bit I decided to look at the binding options. I was looking at the controller configuration window where everyone can set the bindings for their controller. The names for the actions were a bit confusing for some of them at first and I was trying to figure them out. Some of the available actions in the dropdown list were bound to buttons/triggers/etc already and some weren't. The A button on the Xbox One controller (X on the PS4 controller) had nothing assigned to it in this menu. It had a blank space at the top of the dropdown list. I was trying to figure out what all the bindings were and what they did based off of the wording alone and had originally assigned the Interact option to the X button on the Xbox One controller (Square on the PS4 controller) before I realized that it was the action bound to the A (X on PS4) button. After selecting the Interact option for the A button and assigning it and saving the settings and going back into the game I discovered that if I tried to interact with anything in game the game would apply the interact action to everything twice in quick succession. That mean that the game would open and then immediately close any door or window I interacted with.

I tried to change this back by going into the binding settings and remapping another action to the A key. The space that was there at the top of the dropdown list before was no longer available as an option as it was now missing from the list. I chose the Melee option to map to the key so I could see if that would fix anything. Instead of fixing it it compounded the problem. Now when I went to interact with anything the game would still apply the interact action twice, but now it would also trigger the melee action on top of everything else.

At this point is when I was told to delete the files and I deleted all but the Joypads folder. I started the game again and the bindings remained intact. At this point is when I was informed about the Joypads folder and I deleted all of the folders and files this time. I also changed back to the IWBUMS build so I could play with a friend for a while before changing it back to the Controller Test. I had also uninstalled any controller drivers and reinstalled my PS4 controller drivers. I also unchecked any controller options in Steam that weren't for the PS4 controller. The controller worked just fine in IWBUMS.

I switched back to the Controller Test build and loaded up the game. The old bindings were gone, but now I had a new problem. The actions for the left and right triggers were remapped to the shoulder buttons (so the left trigger action was now applied to the left bumper and the right trigger action was now applied to the right bumper). The shoulder bumper actions had not been overwritten. The trigger actions were now applied on top of the already present bumper actions. This meant that if I wanted to press the right bumper and use the right analog stick to look around I would also attack when the bumper was pressed. If I wanted to attack then I would also start looking around which made attacking a lot more dangerous.

At this point I stopped testing for a bit to play more on IWBUMS with a friend. Afterwards I deleted the Gamepads and Joypads folders and the gamepadBinding.config file as well as the game and character save that I created for the test. I think I also looked in the options.ini file and noticed a controller setting there which had a setting for an Xbox controller which I deleted after backing up the original .ini file. I loaded up the Character Test build and created a new save and new character. Things appeared to be fine until I tried to attack for the first time and I realized that none of the bindings had been reset and the trigger actions were still mapped on top of the bumper actions on the bumpers. At this point I decided to post on the forums and wait for a reply because I didn't know what else to do.

You will see only xbox one controller outline in the change controller bindings window because ps4 is not exists still in the game but it has ps4 controller icons already. If you got any trouble with detecting gamepad you should clean gamepad bindings confing file and gamepads/joypads forlder, also make sure that you don't use any additional software for gamepads. Windows 10 is support ps4 controller fully.  

Edited by Stas from general arcade

Hello hello!

Haven't played in ages as I waited for an update on gamepad integration... finally some news, thanks!

Tried for some hours now, died many many times.

Xbox 360 wired (Splitscreen: 2x Xbox 360 wired)

yes, both work

3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?
    Took me a while to figure out which drop down menus belong to which buttons. It is a bit weird that I am able to map a few of the actions to buttons but not all. Some menus just do not have content. For the ones that do have, there is no option to chose blank again (had to delete the config). Other actions (the ones I can not select) are not shown or explained which makes it akward to map others.
    Ingame I still think that RB and RT as well as LB and LT are mixed up. I use both LB and RB for melee and RT and LT do not seem to have any function whatsoever.
    I would like to use the gamepad from the start but it seems I can not map the buttons without mouse, let alone entering the tab.

4. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?
    Feels good so far, but the learning curve for using the gamepad is quite steep in my opinion. Have played with key/mouse before and a difference in precision is noticable, at least with my skills. Running and moving generally is nice, but the charactor sometimes turn around or to sides when stopping, which is not so bad but irritating.
    It is so so hard to open doors or generally to do anything quick. I noticed that it gets better when using both LStick and RStick (or only Rstick): The quick actions like Open Door or Climb over fences are hard to access using LStick only (seems to depend on the approach angle) and far easier to access using Rstick, even if only tapped slightly. But using RStick and pressing A with the same hand is really hard and almost a magic trick.

5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved?
    I still feel like I do not know which button actually does what or if I do play it right. The melee combat is a mystery to me, read above. Maybe it is possible to have a character shown in the keybinding menu to test the keys while mapping to actually see what the key does in certain situations?

Pressing Select and using the menu to zoom is not very comfortable, maybe use the RB/RT for this? (Or having the option to do it while mapping buttons!)

Using the gamepad in the menus for charactor setup is cumbersome and sometimes it feels random to where the cursor jumps/which field get selected. Better highlighting what is actually selected in a given moment might also help.

I try not to use the tv, radio, etc menus in game as I simple do not get how to use them with the gamepad. Either I need a tutorial or the UI needs to be simple?

6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?
    Functionality for both players is the same, moving, interacting etc, also menus. Only difference we found was that Player 1 has all icons on screen (Health heart ect) and Player 2 only the two slots in the upper left.

Plays really nice generally. I am looking forward to your work on the gamepad integration. Will be good fun!

Session 1)
    - Both controller were found by the game and working in options (test).
    - However, both contoller are named "controller2" in the options tab.

- Crafting menus (both Players) show up in center screen, blocking view for both players.
    - BUG: Screen froze after 5min, Player one in inventory, Player two running outside. Had to strg-alt-del out, start new game. (We tried to recreate the error but did not succeed)

Session 2)
    - Player 2 shouting (text), is shown above Player 1 and only on Player 1 screen.
    - We did not find the option for switching hostility on/off. I remember there was an option in online multiplayer to be able to attack other Players.
    - medical checks work
    - Played for quite some time, no screen freezing, no issues.

- Tutorial: We did not succeed getting rid of the Welcome window or to add second player

- Obviously all other problems/issues mentioned in my post are also present in split screen.

7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?
    Being able to move while in inv is great but I'd prefer to be able to use RStick for aiming (access other containers etc). Or changing the controls to an in-inventory modus that enables certain moves?

8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?
    Generally stable, two bugs:
    1 back to main menu when entering cars (happens every time)
    2 back to main menu while using RT and RStick for looking around (happened only once)

Mouse cursor is visible in game at all times.

After playing around with differnt mappings the gamepad changed the number of drop down menus. I was not able to map the RT and LT any longer. After deleting the config files the option reappeared.

Sometimes (randomly really) I had to press Esc twice after starting up a new game to use the gamepad. Without Esc it won't let me activate the gamepad in game even though I used it in the main menu before.

9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?
    Haven't played in a long time, runs fine. Playing at 1600.

10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?
    Being able to fully customize the layout (similar to the keybord/mouse options for keybinding). Maybe use the RT and LT for secondary button use e.g. RT+B ...
Edited by Collophonius
Splitscreen sessions added

1.       What controller are you using?

PlayStation Dualshock4

2.       Does the controller work?

Yes, the controller works fine with other pc games, for example, rocket league

3.       Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?

I felt like the overall design was quite simple and easy to understand in places, however, the placement of many boxes and the fact there is so few it can be confusing which button on the controller the selected action is assigned to. With the Dualshock 4 the background image was of an Xbox One controller however, there are not many differences, so it was simple enough to figure out. I think a good improvement to the system could be clearly outlining which button an action is assigned to, for example, Y Button: Open inventory   A Button: Interact.

Maybe a menu like the keyboard controls with different sections for character, ui and vehicles but with symbols for the buttons on the controller would be a clearer way to present what each button is for.

4.       How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?

Initially, I tried to play the beta by just plugging in the controller and launching project zomboid however, this led to the direction I was walking to be inverted whenever I used the right stick to aim and customisations made to the layout of buttons would just revert after I clicked apply. Due to this, I had to make the Dualshock 4 act as an Xbox controller and this fixed the issues.

Initially I felt like the controller in game was very clunky due to the character suddenly turning in a different direction after I stopped moving so I would have to use the right stick after stopping to aim at a door or fence to open the door or climb over the fence and also due to the bug with the interact button opening then instantly closing a door.

5.       How would you like your gamepad play further improved?

Support on the controller config screen to change more of the buttons or perhaps add button combinations e.g. hold L1 and R1 to open the crafting menu etc. Make the customization of controls a lot clearer as I found it easier to just start a game and mess around pressing buttons to find out what buttons were assigned to what actions. Personally, I would rather have a separate button to toggle or hold down to run rather than based on how far the stick is pressed in one direction, however, this is just my personal preference.

6.       Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?

Unfortunately, I don’t play split-screen.

7.       In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?

I think since time is not paused and thus you are in danger of being attacked during looting it would be detrimental to the player to remove their ability to easily and quickly move during looting. If this was implemented, it would probably make me have to make sure a building is completely safe and there are no open entrances to the room I am looting to begin grabbing items and this could slow down gameplay.

8.       What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?

·         If the controller is not acting as an Xbox controller there are some issues with movement and customising setting (see question 4)

·         Pressing Square (X on Xbox layout) and not being in front of anything interactable would disable the controller layout not allowing me to loot until I pressed something on the keyboard and then pressed a button on the controller and then selected “switch to player 1”

·         The character will suddenly turn in a different direction after I stop walking or running.

·         Almost every time I press X to interact with a door it seems to double press the interact ending up in the door shutting in my face immediately after opening.

·         Upon entering any car, the game would immediately kick me to the main menu and when entering back into the game I cannot access my inventory or loot and the right stick no longer aims properly and instead lock the character the way they were facing whilst moving this is fixed upon restarting the game

·         Holding L1 and R1 would also sometimes kick me to the main menu.

9.       This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?

I play the game locked at 60 FPS and didn’t notice any dips below 60 on the live or controller build, however, I could not test out the framerate in cars for the controller beta due to being kicked to the main menu.

10.   What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?

Allowing the entire controller to be used and button combos e.g. L/R3 and the Dualshock 4 Touchpad and L1+R1.

I hope that this helps, DM me if you need me to clarify or expand on anything

Hello PZ team !

XBOX 360 gamepad

1. Does the controller work?

Yep but i had to mash random button in the menu before it worked.

1. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?

Works but could use lines to connect boxes and buttons.

1. How does your gamepad feel in-game? Is there anything missing, and has anything changed that you’re used to playing with?

It's very satisfying to move your character. The rest feels clunky. It didn't find an easy way to zoom in and out. For me the best combination would be  LT + up/down on RJOYSTICK to zoom in/out.

1. How would you like your gamepad play further improved?

Make an UI specially designed for the gamepad, as the current UI is too dependent on the ability to scroll and select precise items quickly.

1. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing?

Yes ! It was very funny and worked well. Except the normal bugs of the current gamepad config, we noticed that the inventory UI of the keyboard player was the same as in solo, and so took place in the center of the screen.

1. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style?

To me it's a bad idea, as i always want to be able at least to move, else it would be to dangerous to play with the gamepad. Which mean that i have to be able to navigate the UI without the right thumb.

1. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build?

Sometimes the character continued walking  in a random direction after I released the joystick

Sometimes the character didn't faced the direction i wanted.

Stomping zombies on the ground was slower, and I had to mash the button (whereas i just maintain spacebar in Keyboard/Mouse)

When i want to interact with something I press X. If i go away, I have to press B to make the text disappear, which is tedious. The text should disappear when I go away.

When i want to interact, I press X, and i have to select the option i want with the arrows, which is very rhythm breaking, as i have to move my thumb to the arrows, and then back to the joystick. For me, I should be able to cycle the option by pressing X multiple times, and then validate with A.

1. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions?

Not really, but the game slowed and had little hiccups when i was completely zoomed out. Nothing impactful though.

1. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta?

Make a UI specially designed for the gamepad, with wheel menu (like in DOOM) and with which can transfer lots of item quickly.  Maybe one idea would to allow option like "transfer all food/books/weapon/health stuff/..." as generally players gather thing outdoor and then come back to base and try to stay organized.

Thanks for your work and courage !

@kill400zombies could you go to your Users > Zomboid folder and delete Joypads / Gamepads folders and gamepadBinding.config file. After this, start PZ again, and in Controller bindings  JUST Invert Y or X. Does this fix the issues with directions and interactions with doors (which is on X (Dualshock) if you're facing the right way, that is)?

12 hours ago, Jack666MLG said:

I Have a Xbox 360 Controller and i'd want to know What must i do to use the beta

You just have to opt into the "controllertest" beta in steam; right click on the game in your library - properties - betas, and use the given password.

1. What controller are you using? Knock off ps4 DualShock 4 called a DoubleShock 4.
  2. Does the controller work?  Yes.
  3. Please check out the new gamepad customization menu in the Options. Does it work, and does it make sense? Is it relevant to the pad you’re using? How could it be improved?  It works and makes sence but It thinks I'm using a xbox controller.
    1. It's pretty hard to open doors by just walking up to them and pressing A.  You can be hugging the door and facing it and still won't get prompt to open unless you are pixel perfect.  You can still interact with the door and open it that way.  If you use the right analog stick to rotate your character towards the door, it seems less strict and much easier to open.
    2. It's also pretty strict on the direction/distance you have to be to loot shelfs/containers.
    3. I don't know how to close that guide window when you first start the game and have to use my mouse.  I can't rotate my character while that window is up.
    4. You can't hold down a button to step on a zombie,  it's on button release now.
  5. How would you like your gamepad play further improved?  You should be able to rotate your character with the right analog while your inventory is open.  Would make it much easier to loot.
  6. Do you play in split-screen? If so, how is this beta playing? no.
  7. In the current game when you use inventory and character windows, your survivor on-screen can still move and perform some actions. If we were to forbid this, and have you either controller as your survivor OR having you navigate the UI, how would you feel? How would this change your playing style? I'd rather keep it how it currently is, It's already slower to manage your inventory/UI with a controller vs keyboard/mouse.
  8. What other gamepad bugs or weirdness have you noticed in this build? The game would freeze when I enter a vehicle and kick me to the main menu.
  9. This build also contains a java lwjgl upgrade. Have you noticed any changes in game performance and stability, especially at higher resolutions? I'll edit this once I test the fps differences between this and live.
  10. What's the Number 1 most important issue that you'd like to see resolved in the next update to this beta? My issue on 4.2.  Can take a while to loot rooms because I have to constantly rotate my character till I can see whats in a shelf.
Edited by Wolf_EX

@Kaleidozombie In Steam, under 'Manage Game', then 'Controller Options', select Forced Off under 'Steam Input Per-Game Setting'.

This will let Project Zomboid see your DS4 controller and show the icons. You then have to go to the gamepad settings in Zomboid and tick 'PlayStation Controller 1'.

Thats only for this test build though. Let me know if it still doesn't work. xXx

Screenshot_20181119-204108.png

Screenshot_20181119-204121.png

Screenshot_20181119-204218.png

Edited by ilikecaterpillars

ProjectZomboid64_2018-11-19_13-21-36.thumb.jpg.4198a05a44e498993cc2c15e3d80f1ac.jpg

Thanks to your suggestion ilikecaterpillars the game now detects my controller as a PS4 controller like it should (as shown in the screenshot above). The Y axis on both sticks was inverted though and I had to go into the options and select inverse move and aim for the Y axis to get the analog sticks to work properly. This also fixed the issue with the triggers being bound to the bumpers as well. Sadly this has not solved all of my issues. Melee is now bound to the Triangle button so I will melee attack whenever I open or close my inventory. Attacking is now also bound to the left bumper. I don't have a gun at the moment so I don't know if the bumper will still function as the reload button as well. I am going to delete all of the config files once again and reload the game and see if that helps any. I will update this post with the results.

Update: Removing the files didn't change anything this time. The Y axis is still inverted on both sticks. Though at first the right analog stick did nothing at all until after going into the options and testing the controller. I also tested out the buttons and the melee and attack are still bound to the wrong buttons like before. I did learn though that the Triangle button doesn't initiate melee when opening the inventory menu. It only does so when closing the inventory. I wish I had more to report as far as controller testing goes. I haven't been able to experience much thanks to these little snafus with the controller. Hopefully though this feedback helps the developers iron out some of the bugs so that others won't have these issues.

Edited by Kaleidozombie
Adding additional information.

One of the bugs I forgot to mention in my original post is that after interacting with my inventory/looting and after pressing Triangle on the controller to exit the inventory screen my character will perform a shove attack immediately after the menu closes. This bug persists to happen after deleting the config files and making no changes to the button layout.

• Batsphinx locked and unpinned this topic