Joypad Testers

lemmy101

• 4 months later...

Using SteamDeck here as well, controls work fine for the most part (after mapping zoom) , but there is one problem with aiming guns: it is not possible to aim at crawlers right now. And sometimes aiming at zombies which are behind a metal fence is not possible either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gamepad feedback:

Overall your gamepad integration is really good. I play with gamepad due to some accessibility issues with my hands and I only started playing PZ as it was one of the few non-console type games with great gamepad integration that I could enjoy.  I also like playing it with a big screen beyond just my computer monitor.

I purchased PZ back in 2015 and have played exclusively with a gamepad since then. Here is my review of using a gamepad for almost 8 years now:

Good things - I first want to highlight what works well with your gamepad setup so that you dont think silence means they need changing. These things are actually working great:

Great default setup.  Many controls on PZ game mirror similar controls on a console game.  Anyone who has played a console game can pick this game up really fast and intuitively know how to move, how to access things, which buttons do some form of interaction etc.  Please keep this up. I wanted to mention this because of Steam Deck. Steam deck idea is great but don’t let it distract you. I owned one and found it rather clunky and I question its staying power.  Every game on steam deck seems to have a different default setup forcing you to relearn simple controls with every game which is frustrating and means you can never get that good since your muscle memory needs to keep adjusting.  So just keep doing what you are doing with the current gamepad controls, overall they are quite functional.

Combat is good. Better than mouse and keyboard in my opinion except for hotkey swapping which I will get into later.

Auto switching of control layouts depending on what you are doing. This is sooooo important to good gamepad functionality and many games never do this. You guys do though. If you are interacting with a radio, you auto switch what the control scheme for that specific thing. Same with if you are using a gun, operating a car, moving furniture, building, etc.  Please keep that up and never shy away from creating new control layouts dependent on activity as this is what really sets apart "ok gamepad compatibility" from "awesome gamepad functionality".

Control displays showing you what button does what. These are important and you guys always show what buttons do what on the alternative control layouts. I’m rarely ever confused (except a couple times) so please keep always showing on-screen what the buttons do in the alternative layouts.

Things that could use some refinement:

Hotkey swapping weapons.  You have the dpad setup so we can hotswap weapons. It is nice, except when you are in the middle of fighting. You need to keep your left thumb on the left joystick to keep moving and not die, but if your weapon breaks in middle of fight there is no way to switch without stopping movement, or doing an awkward thing where you take your right hand and oddly try to use the dpad on the left side of your game controller which doesnt always work out successfully.  This is the #1 thing that needs improvement in my opinion since combat is pretty crucial to this game and breaking a weap happens a lot.

---Suggestion:  When in melee combat I notice that the RB button isnt assigned to anything except if you are using guns. Please consider switching the weapon hotkey selection to RB that way we can easily switch weapons completely with the right hand (RB button + right joystick for selection) while keeping our left hand on movement.   If the character is using a gun, you can then make the LB button the reload control instead of the RB button. Right now LB just empties a bullet if you have a gun, not something you usually need that critically.  You could switch the empty shell control to either the dpad, or make it a long-press LB option, while short press LB would reload.

The odd L3 long press joystick click menu.  This menu has cost me my life a few times. In the heat of the battle it’s not uncommon to be moving your joystick pretty hard. Sometimes I hold it down a second too long while doing intense movements and that awkward menu comes up which gives me the option to autowalk/crouch/sit which delays me and causes to get bitten :(   Two of these options arent needed since they already have other controls: Crouching toggle already exists when you normal click L3. Sitting is available from the menu option by hitting X.  

---Suggestion: Please consider removing this menu from L3 long press. It’s not needed and kills the player from time to time. The only semi useful thing here is autowalk since the other options have controls already.  If you think it’s useful please switch autowalk to maybe some sort of combo control so that you dont accidentally do it?

Hotkey slots for non-weapons.  This appears to be the one thing the game control setup is lacking (or I’ve just never discovered it). The ability to have things like beta blockers on a hotkey setup. Though I swear long ago you guys did have this on gamepad, or maybe not...

---Suggestion: I realize the controls are getting pretty used up at this point, so I dont have any great ideas quite yet. But I think you could allow the setting of a hotkey through the existing options in inventory when selecting an item (like you can select a "favorite" right now), then maybe have a similar radial menu to the weapon hotkey but on a different trigger button.

Ability to customize.  It's not clear to me how to customize my game controller setup. I read you can maybe do something with config files but I've looked there and the customization seems limited. For example doesnt look like I can do the change on my own to make the weap hotkey the RB, then switch around reload/empty shell to different ones. Doesnt appear to allow that level of fine tuning.  Any more customizability would  great.

Overall though your game control setup is better than 90% of games so please keep supporting it. Thanks.

Edited by DreadLordNaf

• nasKo unpinned this topic