More character's appearence options.

Burger_Time

Characters in the game look similar to each other. The only thing that makes character look at least slightly different is hair color, skin color and beard. 

More character's appearence options will make player union not look like an army of clones.

This topic consists of two parts: Basic appearance options such as height and some not very necessary stuff that you may find interesting.

Part one.

1. Height.

You can choose your character's height from 160cm (very low) to 200cm (very high). 

Depending on your height, your character will have buff/debuff on some activities. I.e low characters will loot high shelves slower than the high ones, but high characters will do activities such as climbing through windows slower than the low ones.

2. Age.

Character's age may vary from 18 to 60 years old.

Age affects experience gain, strength and endurance. Young character will gain experience Much faster than the old one. Character in his middle ages will be stronger than the young man. The old one is actually worst age to choose because he is slower, weaker and, let's say, more stupid than young character, however, you will get additional trait points.

Also, as you would expect, Character's age will change every year. 

3. Sex. Yea, I know that it already exists, but I think that it should have more affect on the gameplay. I.e woman characrer will be weaker than the male character, however, woman character will also have less debuff from being in pain and will live longer than the male character.

Also woman character will have less height options to choose. Like from 160cm to 185cm instead of from 160cm to 200cm.

4. Face. I don't think I have to describe it. Characters' face is always same so it won't be unnecessary.

Part two.

1. Nationality. Yes. 

Character's nationality will affect his face, some options to choose and even language he talks. I don't want to add examples because I think that I may be misunderstood. :)

I've even thought about traits that will affect communications beetween player and NPC. Example of how it should work IMO. If you pick non-English-speaking nationality, you will be able to pick trait. I named it "Native speaker", but you can call it however you want. So, basically, this trait makes you unable to talk on different languages without dictionary. Like if you took Russian nationality alongside with this trait, you need to find Rus-Eng dictionary to talk with English-speaking character. Also this will decrease chance of successful conversation.

There is one more trait I want to talk about. I called it "Linguist". This trait simply gives you ability to talk on every language.

2. I forgot what I wanted to put here. I will write something here I swear!

Edited by Burger_Time

I love these ideas and I want them in the game for sure!

edit: I was really disappointed that the game has such few clothing options and that most of them look very similar to the point of being nearly indistinguishable from each other. I'm also surprised that the game has no long ponytail hair option for male or female characters. no laura croft zombie raider :(

Edited by bobthejob

• 4 months later...

I'm just gonna go through these w/o the quotes cuz I keep creating new lines with it (I'm out of practice!)

1. Height: This would be kinda neat. Honestly though if there's debuffs to either side, I would go for mid height making this trait kinda pointless. Would it give extra points to spend on tall/short? Would they be the same? What would be considered a high shelf? There's many shelves with different tiers, how would those be counted?

2. Age: This seems to draw on old worn out negative stereotypes. You're implying 18 year olds learn faster than 60 year olds. I can tell you from experience it took years for me to learn how to do things (this is not a joke, though it does sound funny). 18 year old me was much slower at learning than 30 year old me. 30 year old me has the tools needed to learn quickly and efficiently. Not only that but you don't see many 18 year olds running around with Ph.D.s in biology. On the physical side, I have to say while I may look older than 18 year old me, I still run just as fast (slow) and still lift as much weight. I can't say what this'll be like in 30 years but I think age is too variable and subjective of a "trait" to added. We have "slow learner" and "feeble" traits already if one wants to RP as an old slow learning feeble person. Aesthetically I would love to see these options though.

3. Sex: Almost everything in this section would be a horrible addition to the game. Yes, men tend to be stronger then women on average. Also women have a higher pain tolerance and do tend to live longer. However... Pain doesn't do much at all in this game, no one lives long AT ALL EVER, so why would anyone pick a female character if men have an actual buff to strength? I think this is gender locking characters and I do detest when games gender lock roles.

4. Face: This would be kinda neat to see. I don't want to spend an hour customizing my character though.

5(?). Nationality: Um. This game is set in 90's Kentucky. This group of people is more or less homogeneous. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be cool to see, but I think this would be great as a mod at best.

2 hours ago, Demonic_Kat said:

Honestly though if there's debuffs to either side, I would go for mid height making this trait kinda pointless.

By debuffs I didn't mean an enormous between high and low person but just a small distinction so it would st least somehow affect gameplay besides being a visual thing.

3 hours ago, Demonic_Kat said:

On the physical side, I have to say while I may look older than 18 year old me, I still run just as fast (slow) and still lift as much weight.

Obviously, a grown man will be much stronger than a young person, and it's much more easier to teach a young dude some stuff than an old man who have already learnt everything he needed for his life, so I don't see anything wrong with it, and again, I didn't mean that it would change gameplay drastically. :)

Pain doesn't do much at all in this game, no one lives long AT ALL EVER, so why

I guess you already know what I was going to say, right? :)

Nationality: Um. This game is set in 90's Kentucky. This group of people is more or less homogeneous. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be cool to see, but I think this would be great as a mod at best.

Kind of agreed, lol. I've added this just so there would be more variation and such. :P

Anyways, thank you for sharing your opinion!

6 hours ago, Burger_Time said:

Obviously, a grown man will be much stronger than a young person, and it's much more easier to teach a young dude some stuff than an old man who have already learnt everything he needed for his life, so I don't see anything wrong with it, and again, I didn't mean that it would change gameplay drastically. :)

This isn't obvious though. It's stereotyping. And it does change game play drastically. There are already fast/slow learner perks that make a world of difference in the game. Stout and feeble also do the same. I'm not opposed to aesthetic additions, but to tie aesthetics into game play via stereotyping may step the game back and draw a cruder audience.

That being said using aesthetic changes with traits that are already in the game would be fun for RP.

Edited by Demonic_Kat

There's some interesting topics here, but a lot of this sounds extremely specific and unnecessary. Let me get into each point.

1. Height affects gameplay

This sounds like a weird one to scrutinize and have it solely affect action times. This would probably mean re-working the skeletons and animations as well as clothing etc.

Other games that feature animation rigs of different heights for player characters that don't have a mechanical difference usually just have the animations play out differently. No need to go deep into this. Often the height-related differences are just compensated in the animation difference. Getting into mechanics based around height just seems so unnecessary.

2. Getting Old

I really don't mind this, but there isn't much gameplay for the world developing as you grow so I wouldn't put too much eggs in that basket. That portion really depends on where the developers want the game's meta to go to. Players will always find a way to survive for the long-run no matter how much people falsely believe the game fails if it doesn't kill you in a couple hours, so it's definitely worth the conversation.

For character creation, however, I really wouldn't mind putting "Old and tired" on the trait list and have that have it's effects. Something like youthful exuberance would help as the counter merit.

3. Gender-based gameplay differences.

No, to everything you said here, and for obvious reasons.

This has been shot down before, and there's a lot of reasons why this is worth nipping in the bud.

For starters-

Sure, you can argue gender averages as your sole reason for thinking this is viable, but the fact of the matter is that you are building individual characters, not the statistically average male or female. There are females that are stronger than males, taller, shorter, more or less testosterone due to genetics, males that have higher pain tolerance, epigenetics etc on the individual scale which, mind what you think, is the entire point of character creation. "On average" this may not be the case, but since this is a video game and people are going to try and make the character they want to play, there is zero reason to throw a wrench at this. 

As said in the response above regarding idea 3, this forces roles onto people based on what sex they choose to play as, a unanimously bad idea for a game with character creation since there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current system. 

The only other worthwhile thing there is to say about suggestion 3:

• There are already weak/strong pros and cons to choose from, if somebody wants to build a weak girl or guy, they can already choose to do so

The idea that there is a video game that punishes you for choosing a girl/guy in character creation would certainly throw Indiestone under the bus. If the backlash is not due to controversy over ethics, it will be because of the fact that players are incentivised to choose their sex because of gameplay reasons and have less overall less agency over playing the character they want to play for personal/roleplay reasons.

No real point to this whatsoever. I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole.

4. Face customization

Some options here would be pretty good, even if it isn't being seen 100% of the time. Scars would be pretty cool.

5. Part Two

Nationality/language

While in theory this could present some interesting gameplay, I really don't see this going farther than a mod or a cool scenario for roleplaying or a storyline NPC. Reminds me of a RP server story that my friend was telling me about where they had to take away character language blocks since people just chose language barriers for their character for the sole purpose of having private "team chats" in MP.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

9 hours ago, Kim Jong Un said:

As said in the response above regarding idea 3, this forces roles onto people based on what sex they choose to play as, a unanimously bad idea for a game with character creation since there is absolutely nothing wrong with the current system

Well, Maybe you are right. But, y'know, I just love going full realism in my suggestions which is not always a good thing. :)

But, again, thank you for sharing your thoughts!