What CPU Do You Recommend for Hosting Server

CaptKaspar

I am in the market for a new CPU. Currently I have a i5 6600k that is struggling with lag for myself (but not for players who are connected) when hosting our server of 3-4 people. 

I am not going to buy a i9 9900k just to play this game, but what is the 'floor' CPU that is recommended to host a server and play the game on the same rig? What is the ideal CPU to future proof upcoming updates such as the new animations? I was thinking i5 9600k, i5 8600k, or i7 8700k. I'm leaning towards the i5 9600k. Would the additional threads on a i7 8700k be utilized?

Current Specs:

i5 6600k CPU

ROG Maximus Hero VIII MB

Nvidia Titan XP 12gb GPU

16gb RAM

NVMe Samsung 950 SSD

Windows 7 Home

Well first I imagine you'd need to find out how much multi threading the server software is capable of to see how much it can even benefit from multiple cores.

If it's not really good at that and isn't expected to be, you may be better off not going for a lot of cores and instead for the highest clock rate per core you can get.

Games/Programs that don't get designed to allow for utilizing the extra cores can often end up running better on something like an old dual core @ 4Ghz than a modern CPU with a bunch of cores if one of the cores isn't equal to or greater than 4Ghz, since it will only be capable of using a single core.

On 11/10/2018 at 8:22 PM, BoogieMan said:

Well first I imagine you'd need to find out how much multi threading the server software is capable of to see how much it can even benefit from multiple cores.

If it's not really good at that and isn't expected to be, you may be better off not going for a lot of cores and instead for the highest clock rate per core you can get.

Games/Programs that don't get designed to allow for utilizing the extra cores can often end up running better on something like an old dual core @ 4Ghz than a modern CPU with a bunch of cores if one of the cores isn't equal to or greater than 4Ghz, since it will only be capable of using a single core.

There is an option to use multi threads, so I'm assuming its a thing. 

I did OC my CPU up from 3.5ghz to 4.1ghz and the lag/choppiness got noticeably better.  

So I think any CPU upgrade from the i5 6600k should be noticeable.

Archived