COMMUNITY REQUEST: So, what weather have you seen? And how much of it?

Batsphinx

For Build 40 we've created a new weather and climate system, but it's kinda hard to track exactly how much rain/fog/storms and (if you're surviving up till winter) snow people are seeing in their usual Survival and Sandbox playthroughs along the usual PZ timeline.

It may be that we need to up the frequency of the weather effects and general 'climate change' a little, but we could do with hearing your personal experiences too.

So... here's a thread for that :)

6 months later scenario

A bit over 3 months in (so from December till mid March).

- 2 snow storms. I think it's a nice minimum amount for winter. 1 would be too little imo. 2-3-4 snow storms seems like a reasonable average amount. However, it covers the world in snow in an instant, that could be stretched in time a bit. Especially visible after a period of warmer temperatures when there is no snow around.

-  Fog frequency OK imo. I got plenty of that but not too much for it to be annoying.

- A lot of snowing (duh). Felt natural, no changes needed imo.

- Some rain in non-freezing temperatures. Same as above.

- Higher levels of windchill temperature penalty could be more severe, iirc I only got in hypothermia once during the entire winter with the new clothes on.

Overall great work! The new climate system is awesome.

In my opinion very little changes are needed (snow storms frequency and speed they cover the world in snow + windchill buff).

For one and half months of survival in the first week, I've saw...

Storm, if it's crazy raining and wind for all 2 days long -> the body temperature dropped dramatically(Windchill), so I had to wear padded jacket and padded pants.

Fog, appeared in the morning disappeared as time goes by.

No snow yet as it's summer(I guess it's late summer now).

Overall that was very interesting experience. narrowed sight in the storm was making me thrilled.

Thunderstorms work. I've experienced long periods without any form of precipitation, and then long periods with. Sometimes it's just light rain, sometimes heavy. I've experienced thunderstorms. They're some of my favorite weather so far. I've experienced plenty of fog. Some snow. No snowstorm as of yet. The weather isn't very predictable so what I experience on one server may not repeat around the same time on another server.

Hi! From Dec to February, no storms at all, usually fog, some snow, and very veery really scarse rain. Its a game changer for me, now it's necessary to be close to a permanent water source, and crops need to be cared permanently. Before this, you would just let the rain do its work. 

The weather is great, but IMO it changes too fast. Like it was a hard rain few minutes ago, but in the next second rain stops and there are only clouds left.

Upd: Maybe that's because the day lasts for one hour, but I think that weather changes should be more smoother.

Please see this post: 

https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24774-raining-indoors/

Other than that, really enjoying the new weather system - really adds to the feelz of a lonely survivor.

Also big fan of the tree improvements -- like rustling when zombies move through them and moving in the wind -- and the other improvements like that really help the game feel more immersive. - The difference is kind of incredibly noticeable when watching an lp of build 39 compared to my playthrough in the new build.

Pretty sure the heavy thunderstorm weather event is a new one, got that pretty early on before I'd found a base location - and was feeling legit anxious trying to find a safe place to shack up. :-)

Another thing I want to say: I think that thunderstorm with cold weather should be more less common because IRL this thing happens VERY, VERY rare.

Also you should decrease volume of things while sleeping because you can become deaf while sleeping when thunderstorm happens. :)

4 hours ago, Burger_Time said:

Another thing I want to say: I think that thunderstorm with cold weather should be more less common because IRL this thing happens VERY, VERY rare.

Also you should decrease volume of things while sleeping because you can become deaf while sleeping when thunderstorm happens. :)

Very true. But what you can do is make the snow storms "white out". IE like the fog where you can only see like 20' in front of you and all after that is a swirling of snow.

But really also would like to see a slow down in the zombies during sub freezing. Not the glide I see them do but slow moving shamblers would be nice.

9 hours ago, Burger_Time said:

Also you should decrease volume of things while sleeping because you can become deaf while sleeping when thunderstorm happens.

I think the volume is fine, there's a small issue when speeding up time, however. 

When time is sped up (either sleeping or fast forward), the thunder claps still happen at their normal rate. Each clap stacks and it becomes very loud - but an individual clap itself isn't too loud on its own. 

It would be nice to see the claps spaced out when time is fast forwarded, and possibly even the playback of the actual sound sped up a bit - so it sounds more like a sped-up thunderstorm, and less like opening the gates of hell :P 

As for a weather-related suggestion, I'm not sure if food times are affected, but it would be cool to see if they were!

On a cold day, frozen things will take longer to defrost than a hot day.

On a hot day, fish would rot quicker than a cold day

etc..

I just have 2 small suggestions:

I think fog fog should allow you to see your closeness, but the further something is, the less you can see it. And from 20 meters from you, you can only see a cloud.

And other thing I think the game needs would be that the weather affected driving. Snow and rain could make the car slide. And this could add winter tires too, so we would need to do mainteinance of our cars

I made it to winter finally, one thing I'm personally missing so far is more fog.

Morning fog of some intensity could happen (almost) every day in winter time, and sometime it could last all day. And most of the time there could be some fog when it's snowing, right now for me it feels like the weather is crystal clear with snow falling, which is usually not the case irl.

Someone pointed out that snow+thunderstorm is an odd combo, I agree on that.

And I think thunderstorms should be followed by normal (light) rain when the storm passes, the storms I saw ended a little too suddenly.

Also +1 for the food shouldn't rot if stored in the cold idea :)

On 2018. 11. 15. at 1:56 PM, TheJmatter said:

I think fog fog should allow you to see your closeness, but the further something is, the less you can see it. And from 20 meters from you, you can only see a cloud.

That's kinda how it works if you turn off post processing. Having it on makes the fog look less thick, just like it helps you to see at night (unfortunately..).

• 2 weeks later...
On 15.11.2018 at 1:56 PM, TheJmatter said:

And other thing I think the game needs would be that the weather affected driving. Snow and rain could make the car slide. And this could add winter tires too, so we would need to do mainteinance of our cars

This. I guess it's a bit off-topic, but while the weather & frequency itself feels fine for me, it's kinda hard to give feedback as long as the weather doesn't actually do much...

I expected it to shake things up much more, making it important to adapt to the situation:

- Weather having various impacts on zombie senses

- Thunder causing zombies to run up & down the street, trying to chase the noise

- Winter & Snowstorms slowing zombies down & making them less active

- Effects on car physics

- & while we're at it: Rain on a hot summer day still makes your character ill, but almost freezing to death doesn't ;P

Archived