Host Lag in MP

CaptKaspar

Question

Hey Everyone,

I recently got back into playing PZ with some friends and have been loving all of the updates! 

However, I am noticing one issue that is causing some difficulties. 

I host the server that 2-3 friends will join me in playing on. So 3-4 players max are playing at one time on the server. Only the host (myself) experiences any sort of lag. It is most noticeable driving vehicles, but can get slightly choppy in high zed environments like the mall. No other players report any lag. Its manageable but certainly not ideal. I was hoping to get some community insight into what I could possibly do to alleviate the problem. 

My rig running the server:

Windows 7 Home Premium

NVMe Samsung 950 SSD - 18gb free

i5 -6600K @3.5ghz (not overclocked)

Nvidia Titan Xp -12gb 

16gb RAM

Network: upto 500mbps DL/ 20mbps UL

PZ Version: 40.31 (Steam) IWBUMS

What do you recommend I set the server memory to? I used to have it set to 8gb prior to vehicles, but I have read that actually lowering the server memory will help? That allocating more memory allows Java to create larger chunk files that could contribute to server lag since larger files need to be transferred? Is this accurate?

The other bottlenecks I see could be the CPU and the network UL speed.  

I can OC the CPU if needed. I have in the past OC'd it to 4.2ghz with stable temps. Would that be sufficient if it is likely the problem?

I ran a Speedtest.net test to a server where my friends are joining. The results were: 27ms ping, 500.03mbps DL, 22.79mbps UL.  There is no other network UL traffic other than Steam VOIP being used. 

Thoughts, ideas? Please let me know if any additional info is needed. 

Thanks in advance!

1 answer to this question

Archived