9pm - daylight illumination.

Snakeman

@Snakeman try turning post processing off. You will notice that it gets to be darker again. Post-processing seems to add way too much ambient lighting. 

I've created a thread here which shows the difference between post-processing on/off, as well as some flashlight issues. Here is another thread displaying the same effect. 

@EnigmaGrey I wouldn't expect it to still be this bright. I think there's definitely some issue going on with ambient lighting when post-processing is enabled, as shown by multiple reports now. If this screenshot were to be taken with post-processing turned *off* - it would be noticeably darker, and much closer to what you'd expect.

Edited by Bejasc

1 hour ago, Bejasc said:

EnigmaGrey I wouldn't expect it to still be this bright. I think there's definitely some issue going on with ambient lighting when post-processing is enabled, as shown by multiple reports now. If this screenshot were to be taken with post-processing turned *off* - it would be noticeably darker, and much closer to what you'd expect.

I provided data showing that it is exprcted during the month of July.  If you have something other than your expectations, I'd appreciate seeing it 

Though I've lived further north (and now north east), I, a night blind individual, can walk the local trail at that time of night in July. It's presumably pretty bright to normies.

2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

If you have something other than your expectations, I'd appreciate seeing it 

Please check the links that I've provided in the post...

Also, note that there are 3 other reports (separate topics) currently on this forum (that I'm aware of) detailing the same. 

If you're having trouble noticing it due to your aforementioned vision problems (I know you've spoken about this before), I encourage you to pass it on to the rest of the team, as there's quite a bit of feedback on it by now. 

Also note that my comment is not about the brightness for this time of day, it is about the imbalance of post-processing on v post-processing off. More details can be found in the threads that I have linked in my post above. 

You surely would see the difference if the same screenshot (at the same time and light settings) were taken with post processing off. 

9 hours ago, Bejasc said:

Please check the links that I've provided in the post...

Also, note that there are 3 other reports (separate topics) currently on this forum (that I'm aware of) detailing the same. 

If you're having trouble noticing it due to your aforementioned vision problems (I know you've spoken about this before), I encourage you to pass it on to the rest of the team, as there's quite a bit of feedback on it by now. 

Your mistake is basing your expectations off of the non-shader setting. First, it hasn't been kept up to date. Second, it will not be optional for the animations build.

9 hours ago, Bejasc said:

Also note that my comment is not about the brightness for this time of day, it is about the imbalance of post-processing on v post-processing off. More details can be found in the threads that I have linked in my post above. 

You surely would see the difference if the same screenshot (at the same time and light settings) were taken with post processing off. 

You're misappling your arguenent to this thread. Having a bright night around 9 p.m. is expected for the area, and the month. It is not a result of the difference between shaders and non shaders. it is, unlikely to be something that we're going to address further unless it happens at times that are illogical.

It makes it harder to argue your point when you either engage in hyperbole or try to push an agenda for an unrelated matter. There are, after all, things that we do not like about the newer version of shaders - flash lights and headlights are overwhelmed by the field of view at night; interior lights aren't as effective; it sometimes stays too dark or too heavily foggy. These are issues that we would like to address. 

28 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

You're misappling your arguenent to this thread. Having a bright night around 9 p.m. is expected for the area, and the month. It is not a result of the difference between shaders and non shaders.

You're entirely missing the point of my post. 

The OP mentions that it's brighter than he would expect for the time. I have just shown that, with the new post-processing settings, it *is* brighter than we would normally see. This is proven across multiple threads, only one of which is mine. 

33 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

It makes it harder to argue your point when you either engage in hyperbole or try to push an agenda for an unrelated matter.

I have no agendas here that I'm trying to push. I'm simply trying to help improve PZ, and help others in discovering and solving what their issues might be. I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here?

34 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

There are, after all, things that we do not like about the newer version of shaders - flash lights and headlights are overwhelmed by the field of view at night; interior lights aren't as effective; it sometimes stays too dark or too heavily foggy. These are issues that we would like to address. 

The issues that you've mentioned that TIS don't like about shaders are the exact issues that I have been talking about all this time. But for whatever reason, you seem more interested in picking apart my bug reports and finding a way to discredit them.

If I'm honest, I'm getting rather sick of talking about them, because you seem to have some kind of grudge against me, and it's very counterproductive for me to invest my time, energy, interest, and love into PZ, if I know you're just going to shut down and discredit whatever I say. I really don't know why you insist on behaving this way, when you have just proven that you're trying to accomplish the very same thing that all my reports and posts have been about?

Edited by Bejasc
detailed post

The screenshot is from 9pm in summer, basically. That is not night, it is in the evening and as EG was saying in his first post, the area around Louisville would only still be in twilight around that time of the year, too. 

The issue of post-processing on making it seem brighter than post-processing off is true, but an issue of post-processing as a whole (OFF making it seem darker than it should be) and not entirely relevant to this thread that's saying that it is too bright for 9pm which is not the case.

5 minutes ago, nasKo said:

The screenshot is from 9pm in summer, basically. That is not night, it is in the evening and as EG was saying in his first post, the area around Louisville would only still be in twilight around that time of the year, too. 

I understand this, and it's not something I've necesarily disagreed with. 

6 minutes ago, nasKo said:

and not entirely relevant to this thread

I think it is relevant in some way. At the same time of day, same time of year, on the older build (before post-processing) - it would appear darker. 

The "issue" is linked in this way, as we're all used to the older settings without post-processing. With post-processing enabled, it appears brighter. This is something we all know and have acknowledged. 

1 hour ago, Bejasc said:

I understand this, and it's not something I've necesarily disagreed with. 

I think it is relevant in some way. At the same time of day, same time of year, on the older build (before post-processing) - it would appear darker. 

The "issue" is linked in this way, as we're all used to the older settings without post-processing. With post-processing enabled, it appears brighter. This is something we all know and have acknowledged. 

The issue of post-processing on making it seem brighter than post-processing off is true, but an issue of post-processing as a whole 

Being relevant in some way isn't enough. :P It's not too bright for 9pm. 

The fact that it's darker with post-processing off comes with the nature of the post-processing. It doesn't mean it should be that dark. And it doesn't mean that it is too bright for the time of the day at that time of the year.

This doesn't negate any of the other issues that you're pointing out in your bug report thread (thanks for pointing those out, btw).

The issues that are going to be addressed with post-processing are not going to make that time of the day darker because it shouldn't be, when the sky is clear.