Pea Super

nasKo

pea-super-712x462.jpg

Hi all, glad you’re here and that overall Build 40 has gone down well – and without too many annoying niggles too. This will only be a short blog, as we only released on Tuesday and we’re busy with patch stuff.

We released an initial hotfix patch yesterday, which hopefully remedied issues people were having logging onto servers – and also fixed a few chat issues, fog weirdnesses and username things.

Still to come are updated community translations, chat server logs and some ‘local chat zone widening’ due to some reports coming in from Redboid. We’re also doing some digging into issues with IsoRegions (rain indoors etc) as we’ve had a few reports in this area.

What we need from you guys right now, though, are balance reports on the weather and temperature stuff that we’ve added. How is it all impacting your gameplay, and is there anything that’s new that’s particularly un-fun? Are you getting too much rain, sun, storm, fog etc. or too little? We really want to include balancing measures in Build 40 patches, and before the majority of the team jump into the anims code.

In the mean-time, away from Build 40 and the TEA work on 41, Yuri has been making good progress in making Zomboid water look prettier (super WIP vid here) and RJ has been working on Xeonyx’s Hollywood Studio challenge map.

Thanks everyone!

This week’s foggy fog from Epic Sax Guy. A general list of stuff added to PZ, and vids of features being worked on, is kept here – so you don’t have to plough through endless dev blogs for info. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right hereOur Discord is open for chat and hijinks too.

4 hours ago, nasKo said:

What we need from you guys right now, though, are balance reports on the weather and temperature stuff that we’ve added. How is it all impacting your gameplay, and is there anything that’s new that’s particularly un-fun? Are you getting too much rain, sun, storm, fog etc. or too little?

IMO there's nothing un-fun with the new weather system. It works great and is a fantastic addition, however it changes very little gameplay-wise. Wear that new jacket and pants and you're set - no risk of freezing and very little risk of even getting cold moodle. I play 6 months later scenario where I survived for almost 2 months (I'm at beginning of February) and I think I had no storms / snow storms whatsoever. They could be more a bit more frequent and last longer (with some heavy storms lasting for a few days, that'd be cool).

It would be epic if zombies were affected by weather (hindered sight in fog and storms, hindered hearing in storms, hindered movement speed in really low temperatures etc.)

Windchill factor could be more severe at higher wind speeds so even a padded jacket and pants would not save you from freezing when outdoors before long.

Edited by Geras

6 minutes ago, Lexx2k said:

Just today I thought "would be funny to see zombies and items thrown through the map on the highest storm level."

Seeing zombies tripping and falling down because of the wind would be hilarious! :)

Also, strong winds could affect vehicle steering, you'd have to counter the wind by steering left or right a bit depending on wind direction.

22 hours ago, nasKo said:

What we need from you guys right now, though, are balance reports on the weather and temperature stuff that we’ve added. How is it all impacting your gameplay, and is there anything that’s new that’s particularly un-fun? Are you getting too much rain, sun, storm, fog etc. or too little? We really want to include balancing measures in Build 40 patches, and before the majority of the team jump into the anims code.

That settles it then, bring only what you need.... EVERYONE TO THE ANIMATIONS DEPARTMENT!!!!

Little issue I found that I think has carried over from previous build:

Mac, no mods, IWBUMS. Mousing over a pinned inventory panel does not always reveal it. Unplugging and replugging my mouse fixes the issue.

It's a $5 Wal-Mart mouse; if no one else is reporting this, I am completely ready to blame the mouse (though I've had no trouble with other games).

Side note, these moving trees and doors have added a lot to the game. Fighting one zed on the roadside becomes a lot scarier when you see the forest start to shake. And hearing a thump in the house is a lot less aggravating when you can literally see where the sound is coming from.  Well done!

Side side note, it'd be nice if the sound of the house alarm were either quieter or faded quicker as you get further from the house. The sound persists as if the siren were in your head even when you're in the next house over, which I think makes it a more detrimental effect IRL than in-game.

SIDE side side note, the physics on cars feels spot on. Duration of coasting without acceleration, swerves and quick turns all feel just right. Had a lot of fun this weekend, thanks team!

Edited by trombonaught

New issue: after reading in car, I couldn't open ESC menu, switch to another action, or exit the car.

Situation:

Reading

While reading, tried to initiate the "smoke" action

Reading bar froze (no pages progressing), could not smoke or exit vehicle, could not open ESC menu

Started car, drove up a tic, turned off car and was able to exit vehicle just fine.

Transferring multiple items seems to have the same effect. This was particularly worrisome on a smash-and-grab run, with zombies breaking through my windows whilst the character INSISTED that the sledge hammer be unpacked before she would leave the car.

EDIT: Button Creep

Okay, I get it now. ESC stops the action. Not sure if that worked here above with "new issue" when I was spamming ESC... Forget it for now. BUT, is this indicated in the game anyplace? Is it not more intuitive to hook this function to the spacebar/shove action, which is likely what 90% of players use to cancel actions outside of vehicles?

AND finally (sorry, this was my first two days off in weeks), what if the vehicle action radial menu were made accessible by right clicking a car while inside of it? "V" is fine, but as most of the game's interaction is "right click" or "E" as a substitute, this could help keep button creep to a minimum.

Edited by trombonaught