Weird flickering/screen freezing

Pat_Bren

I am on the latest IWBUMS and if I play normally, my screen starts to flicker after about 15-20 minutes, with patches of black appearing all over/menus flickering in and out too, making the game unplayable. Also the dead zombie textures are swapped out with random tiles. If I play in compatibility mode, a different but similar issue appears, which is that the screen more or less stops drawing the game. The game continues on and sometimes I can quit to the main menu, but that's mostly invisible too. I have a 64 bit machine but my card is an Intel HD, so that could be the problem. I have turned off 3d models (which makes cars stop drawing too) and the new roof hiding system but neither seems to be related to the problem. I have attached my last log, which crashed out after only a minute or so of gameplay. 

console.txt

On 10/25/2018 at 11:54 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

What processor model do you have?

Should give the full name in dxdiag.exe or hardware manager, available by searching in the Start menu.

I have two of "Intel Pentium CPU 987 @ 1.50GHz"

4 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I hate to say it, but that doesn't have the ability to run the shaders necessary for cars or weather.  It might be best to go back to an earlier build, such as the pre-car build  (38) here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/108600/discussions/0/1728701877455400424/

Okay, thanks. I'll keep playing the current builds I think, they work for a while at a time anyway. The performance hasn't especially dropped after cars/weather, the screen flickering is the main problem.

• 1 month later...

Just to clarify, while it's true that ability to run shaders is required for PZ to run in the most recent builds, it's dependent on GPU, not the processor alone. In your case it's a laptop GPU with integrated processor, but I think it should be fine with shaders, so if the issue still persist, maybe the issue is elsewhere? Aren't you using 32-bit OS? The game is often problematic (and less performant) in here – also make to update your GPU drivers.

1 hour ago, Faalagorn said:

Just to clarify, while it's true that ability to run shaders is required for PZ to run in the most recent builds, it's dependent on GPU, not the processor alone. In your case it's a laptop GPU with integrated processor, but I think it should be fine with shaders, so if the issue still persist, maybe the issue is elsewhere? Aren't you using 32-bit OS? The game is often problematic (and less performant) in here – also make to update your GPU drivers.

You can tell quite  a bit from the CPU on older laptops:

The GPU is embedded on the Intel processor. It is not a discrete chipset or a separate unit integrated into the motherboard. You can then use the processor name on Intel's Ark website to determine it's capability as a GPU. Our min. spec for shaders is basically HD 3000 or above at this point, which this CPU does not have.  It is an Intel Graphics HD for Second Generation Processors.

Though Intel's own promotional materials will claim it supports OpenGL high enough (above 2.1 in this case), the Celerons, Pentiums, Duos, and some older rebranded i3 models just won't work with FBOs (zoom, UI rendering optimizations, 3D models), or shaders (animating the 3D models, applying textures and changing the lighting).  This is almost exclusively a problem with ultrabooks and business class laptops from prior to 2013. Even older GMAs (a chipset discrete from the CPU) will just fail silently (not display a 3D model or not animate it) or crash outright. 

Though it might work in Linux with a software-based driver, there's usually nothing you can do aside from turn things off on Windows. And, unfortunately, Intel stopped supporting these long ago, as far as drivers are concerned. Not that it hurts to try, it just tends not to go anywhere.