Fracture Clinic - Broken Thigh

hyansith

Long time player just started a new game. I've had plenty of medical emergencies in the past but it's probably been a year or so since I last dipped in deep, and much has changed. 

In my most recent adventure, I've made a good safe house and all seems well. However I managed to fall from the second level and fractured my thigh. I'm unsure now if this has ever happened before or if it's just changed since I last played, but my god it feels like the damn thing is not healing. 

I think I've been pretty lucky as I had a fair amount of painkillers, books, alcohol etc. but it's got to the point where I've forgotten how many days I've been trapped in the safe house and I've actually consumed pretty much my entire supply of fresh food. 

I'm around 30 days into game. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.  

It can take 2 weeks for a fracture to heal, depending on the severity of the fracture of course. You can speed up healing by eating until you are well fed. You can also add a comfrey poultice which will also speed up healing. I've read that disinfecting and applying a bandage after applying the splint will also help. The higher your first aid skill the faster fractures will heal as well. At any rate expect fractures to take a long time to heal. I have a lot of experience with fractures thanks to carpentry done above the ground floor.

30 days seems like a ludicrously long time - especially if you kept well fed. Is there *any* improvement? You don't still have a pain moodle, do you? I'm pretty sure that you should be able to kinda run at the end of a month.   I've always had to deal for about 2 weeks maximum (haven't had a fracture + slow healing though) but have seen a *few* reports of 1-2 months. =\

Severe fractures take a lot longer to heal than the average fracture. How much weight you were carrying at the time of the injury has an effect on how likely you are to fracture a bone and how severe the fracture is going to be. There is only so much you can do to speed up the healing process if you don't have high levels in the first aid skill. Even after you start being able to move faster again and the pain Moodle disappears the fracture still hasn't fully healed. The severity of the fracture has lessened, but the bone is still fractured which you will see if you remove the splint to check the condition of the injury. Bones take a long time to heal in this game, and the worse the fracture the longer recovery will take. From the sounds of it you fractured your thigh quite badly.

I'm curious if the pain moodle is gone and if there's any noticeable improvement i.e. if the healing process is even underway. =\ I've been lucky w/ not going much beyond two weeks, but I don't know if I've broken a femur before (and kept my character).  I'll have weight on my mind the next time I'm building an upper level. 

To clarify, I did not have a broken leg for 30 days. 30 days was my total game time. I lost count of how many days passed but I would estimate that in total it was a little over two weeks. Regardless, this is a long time to be out of action and if my overall situation hadn't been so good I would surely have died. I consumed pretty much an entire fridge worth of fresh food, countless bottles of wine and whisky, sleeping tablets, painkillers etc. Boredom was a huge factor and I read all the books, magazines and newspapers that I had. I don't usually loot stuff like this until later in the game, but that might change after this incident. Being outside seemed to help with mood, and I did a little farming to pass the time. 

Towards the end, my movement improved greatly. Even with the splint on I was able to sprint around the garden a bit, although I'm not sure this is advisable. The pain moodle more or less vanished apart from when I removed the bandage, then it would return after a couple hours. As time passed this got longer and longer until I was able to leave the bandage off completely if I wanted to; again though I would probably advise leaving it on to speed healing. 

All in all a pretty grim experience. To summarise - don't break your leg - at all. :)

1 hour ago, hyansith said:

I lost count of how many days passed but I would estimate that in total it was a little over two weeks. Regardless, this is a long time to be out of action and if my overall situation hadn't been so good I would surely have died.

It took 4 months for my leg to heal when I broke it IRL so a trade off of 2 weeks in game in pretty lenient, maybe even a bit too short in my opinion. I usually take the slow healer perk to make it more realistic.

In that time, I couldn't walk at all so the fact the game let's you hobble around a bit is again lenient.

A broken leg in the zombie apocalypse would almost certainly mean death, unless you happened to break it within the walls of your fortified, well stocked base, or someone else was there to look after you.

5 hours ago, Kaleidozombie said:

This is why any carpentry done above the ground floor is terrifying. You spend the entire time on edge because you're worried about falling and breaking your legs. One misstep and you're introduced to weeks of all the things that come with having a fracture.

You can completely avoid this danger if you follow the hint in the spoiler below. However I found out that by playing that way, it took all the thrill away and made the game more boring because of less danger.  So decide for yourself ;-)

Spoiler

When above ground floor on your own construction, and there's no walls or fences on all sides, always use right click + walk to command.

Archived