CentOS 7 - Glibcxx 3.4.21 not found

Venopsis

Hello,

If the category is not the right one, my apologies. Do not hesitate to move the post and let me know.

So recently I updated my CentOS server (host for PZserver) and no more able to run the game anymore (server part).

Error message when start server

./ProjectZomboid64: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./ProjectZomboid64)

Content of  /lib64/libstdc++.so.6
$ strings /lib64/libstdc++.so.6 |grep GLIBCXX
GLIBCXX_3.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.1
GLIBCXX_3.4.2
GLIBCXX_3.4.3
GLIBCXX_3.4.4
GLIBCXX_3.4.5
GLIBCXX_3.4.6
GLIBCXX_3.4.7
GLIBCXX_3.4.8
GLIBCXX_3.4.9
GLIBCXX_3.4.10
GLIBCXX_3.4.11
GLIBCXX_3.4.12
GLIBCXX_3.4.13
GLIBCXX_3.4.14
GLIBCXX_3.4.15
GLIBCXX_3.4.16
GLIBCXX_3.4.17
GLIBCXX_3.4.18
GLIBCXX_3.4.19
GLIBCXX_DEBUG_MESSAGE_LENGTH

GLIBC installed

$ sudo yum list installed |grep glibc

glibc.i686                              2.17-222.el7                     @base
glibc.x86_64                          2.17-222.el7                     @base
glibc-common.x86_64           2.17-222.el7                     @base

Server details (host)

Distro:   CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core)
Arch:   x86_64
Kernel:   2.6.32-042stab120.18 (for production) and 3.10.0-862.14.4.el7.x86_64 (on testing server)
tmux:   tmux 1.8
GLIBC:   2.17

PZServer details

Version : 180908 (at the time I'm writing this post, it's last stable version. Normally 39.67.5).

Using Linux Game Server Manager to manage and run the PZ instance (up-to-date at time writing this post).

Tried the following

• Install on another user, same server : same issue. Not user related.
  • Install on new server CentOS 7 with more recent Kernel (testing server mentioned above) : same issue. Not Kernel related.
  • Tried to update GLIBC but seems the last version for CentOS 7 is 2.17-222 is the last version available and supported.

Conclusion

• For the ones using CentOS as hosting server for PZ server, do you encounter the same issue? What are your CentOS version, GLIBC, etc?
  • Do you have solution to fix this?
  • If need to try something to see if fix the issue, just let me know and I'll apply it to the testing server. Protected by snapshot so can revert back easily.

Thank you for you help!

Venopsis.

Edited by Venopsis
More precise version of CentOS added

The distro used is already up-to-date. And the kernel cannot be changed as hosted on OpenVZ.

I'm sure if I use Ubuntu for example as distro it should work but I have other things running on this server and doesn't want to reinstall everything just for one not working thing.

Does it have alternative solution or it's distro related issue and have to wait for update adding missing GLIB support?

Thanks.

It's distro related. This one hails from 2014 and uses an out of date libgcc. The only solution is either using a different repo to install a newer version, or using a distro that allows a different repo. There are some risks involved in forcing a higher version of libgcc if the server is going to be used for anything other than PZ.

e.g. if switching to Ubuntu is easy and convenient to install, 16.04 and above should support it. If not, it's easy to install through the package manager.  Debian and CentOS are just too old, unfortunately. 

I think you can download the package here, otherwise: https://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=libstdc%2B%2B.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.21)

(I'm not a big Linux user, so I can definitely be wrong about these things.)

@EnigmaGrey

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. I found the same on the web. Seems risky to force newer version of libgcc as used by the system itself.

I'll duplicate the server on another host and proceed modification test to see if creating issue or not.

Not the first time I encounter issue with CentOS related to old packages, etc. I think it's time to reconsider migrate to new distro for next servers.

• 4 years later...
On 2/27/2023 at 1:24 AM, JavonFischer said:

Hi there. Sorry for reviving such an old thread. I'd like to know if you fixed that eventually.

There is nothing The Indie Store should fix. Do yourself a favor and upgrade your aged OS to some decently recent distribution release.