PZ MP / Dying when rejoining while carrying Extremely Heavy Load

Kennethdio

I found out that in PZ MP, you can quit while having the moodle, Extremely Heavy Load. If that happens and you rejoin, there is a chance you'll come back with Highly Critical Damage. Your health will rapidly decrease no matter what you do. You will die.

I'm sick of the admin having to clear up these issues, and i'm sure that he's also sick of it.

Please get it fixed, other servers don't have admins to solve everything.

Simplest solution is not to log out with Extremely Heavy Load. I am not saying this to be an ass. Just if you happen to know this is an issue then why not stop doing it.

I have never played on a MP server so I can only imagine why this is happening. In sandbox mode if you carry to much for to long you strain your back critically and you must drop all the weight. Only way to fix this is to get someplace safe and sleep it off. Sounds like you log off and time passes on server so when you log back in it drops all that critical damage on you. Have you tried dropping everything and get some sleep?

This happened to me in SP sandbox yesterday!!!  I was wondering why I was nearly dead, and could not see any other cause except being overloaded... And you're correct to say, it does not follow the 20% or whatever rule, it took me all the way to Highly Critical iirc. I ended up eating some food, and resting as soon as I realized what was going on, and did not die...   but it was close!!!

19 hours ago, nickodemos said:

Simplest solution is not to log out with Extremely Heavy Load. I am not saying this to be an ass. Just if you happen to know this is an issue then why not stop doing it.

I have never played on a MP server so I can only imagine why this is happening. In sandbox mode if you carry to much for to long you strain your back critically and you must drop all the weight. Only way to fix this is to get someplace safe and sleep it off. Sounds like you log off and time passes on server so when you log back in it drops all that critical damage on you. Have you tried dropping everything and get some sleep?

You can't sleep, true I can avoid the issue, but it's still a bug, which means it should be fixed. Dropping everything for me does nothing and I continue to die.

8 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Can't reproduce it.

It stops applying damage from the Moodle after your health is under 75%. It's not possible for this to kill you, alone.

Mods? Previously bit or scratched by a zombie?

The server I was using did use several mods such as Hydrocraft, new items, crafting recipes, and a different player texture. But I can't really see how those mods are relevant to causing a bug like this.

Plus with this error I did reach terminal damage and almost died in a couple of seconds.

Edited by Kennethdio

Well, i'll just say that this happened one in about 20-30 restarts... I was in and out of the game a whole bunch of times testing some NPC mod stuff I'm working on when it happened the one time (mentioned above).

One thing I noticed today that may be related is when I put fresh bandages on, exit & re-load game, they're all pretty much dirty and if not, they become dirty within moments... I say it may be related since it has to do with accelerated health problems upon exiting and re-loading the game.

tl;dr: Trying to track it down in modded game is pretty much impossible from my end.

9 hours ago, Kennethdio said:

The server I was using did use several mods such as Hydrocraft, new items, crafting recipes, and a different player texture. But I can't really see how those mods are relevant to causing a bug like this.

Plus with this error I did reach terminal damage and almost died in a couple of seconds.

-Armor  vers. in Hydrocraft has been buggy for a long time (get scratched/bit, get infected, then the bite is removed and the player doesn't know.. I don't know if it's been fixed)

-Over-riding base game medical items

-Replacing the ISInventoryPage or ISInventoryPane lua file (backpack related mods)

-Allowing you to carry far more in the inventory than the maximum

7 hours ago, Arsenal26 said:

Well, i'll just say that this happened one in about 20-30 restarts... I was in and out of the game a whole bunch of times testing some NPC mod stuff I'm working on when it happened the one time (mentioned above).

One thing I noticed today that may be related is when I put fresh bandages on, exit & re-load game, they're all pretty much dirty and if not, they become dirty within moments... I say it may be related since it has to do with accelerated health problems upon exiting and re-loading the game.

Similarly to above, the NPC mod works on IsoPlayer class and is pretty hack-y in some ways to get it to work. I wouldn't be surprised if something like an NPC getting damaged could cause the player to be damaged, unexpectedly.

There's also mods that will characters if they don't take the right trait on startup. Enabling them could kill you.

The only other possibility I can think of is the game thinks you fell for some reason. Being over-encumbered, it'll damage you severely.

Since so much has changed over the years and mods become outdated since the coders are updating and changing things all the time to fix and improve the game you think maybe that an API type for modders might be created and you can update the API without changing how mods hook in?

As a layman would this simplify things for both sides? Or do the mods try to overwrite the vanilla with their calls and this is where the errors tend to come in?

So far was not able to reproduce the death from overweight.

2 hours ago, nickodemos said:

Since so much has changed over the years and mods become outdated since the coders are updating and changing things all the time to fix and improve the game you think maybe that an API type for modders might be created and you can update the API without changing how mods hook in?

As a layman would this simplify things for both sides? Or do the mods try to overwrite the vanilla with their calls and this is where the errors tend to come in?

So far was not able to reproduce the death from overweight.

Lua allows modders to overwrite the vanilla version of the game's files through its loading order, as you touch on. The code doesn't actually change that much (I think the last major one that broke a mod was two years ago when the scavenge table was removed from item distribution.) It's more so that some mods have always been broken and the mod owner either isn't around or interested in fixing it.  Sometimes they might not be aware of it or be the creator of that code.