Unplanned Server Resets

Kaleidozombie

Question

Recently I've been playing with several groups of people. Some play on the stable branch and some play on the IWBUMS branch. For a while I've been switching between both branches of the game without any problems, but recently I'll load up a game and find that the game is asking me to create a new character. The one I had previous no longer exists. When going back to the safe house I had set up it's no longer present either. It seems the entire server has been reset. I'm not quite sure what is causing this. I don't know if it's because I am switching between the different branches of the game or if there is another cause. The only other thing I can think of is that I tried to connect one of the servers to Discord. I didn't quite know what I was doing to begin with, but I misunderstood some of the instructions. Anyway, the attempt failed. Ever since then whenever I load up the game the server has been reset. At first I thought it was just the more recent saves from games on the IWBUMS branch that were affected, but the most recent save of the stable branch has been wiped as well. I have no idea what I may have done that is causing my servers to reset. I was hoping someone here might have some insight.

12 answers to this question

55 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Are you hosting the server yourself, or is someone else?

I'm usually the one hosting when I play. I do play in one session where someone else has a paid for server hosted for the group and I haven't had any issues with that game at all. The problem has been with the servers that I host. I had no issues previously. I'm not sure what's causing the issue. It could be any one of the things I mentioned above, or something I'm not aware of yet. I don't know if it is my switching between the stable and IWBUMS builds (which I wasn't having any issue with before), renaming the files in the manage server settings window, trying to set up a Discord integration when I had no idea what I was doing, failing to install some mods when trying to join a different server with a third group, or something I'm not aware of yet.

Have you been switching between servers that you hosted or between public servers? The public ones might have had a reset and everyone would lose their progress.
If you hosted the servers, did you host using the Host function or dedicated?

I usually host the servers I play on using the Host function. I've also recently started playing on a server that someone else was hosting the same way before migrating to a dedicated server. Things were fine up to this point. I'm also wondering if it may have also been when I switched from the IWBUMS branch back to the stable branch to play with a different group. I couldn't join this group because there was one mod from the Workshop that I couldn't download. It appeared as blank of the list of mods and would not download or install. I had tried adding the Discord integration to one of my servers before I tried joining this group but had yet to log in at this point. After failing to join I switched back to IWBUMS to play with my friend as usual and realized everything had been reset. I removed the Discord integration from the settings thinking maybe it had something to do with it. I'm not sure anymore because it's affecting other save games/servers that were working fine prior to all of this. All of the servers that are being reset are all servers that are not set to reset at all.

I am not sure myself, the save could have been messed up if you switched the Host from the public build to the IWBUMS, as I heard that saves are not really compatible between the builds. That would be the case only if you used the Host function and chose the same map and settings.
You could check the "C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid\Saves" folder and see if the saves have a different name maybe. That folder has all the saves, so if anything happened to them you can check there. Look for the Date modified on the folder to see which are most recent so if any save was somehow preserved you could check based on the date.
Otherwise you can backup these saves to prevent future loss of saves when switching between builds or testing.
In the Multiplayer folder, the "servertest" folder is the save for your map when using Host and servertest_player is the player file for the Host function. Other folders belong to other servers, with their respective IP addresses in the folder name.

I remembered another detail as well. It may have nothing to do with it. I renamed the server as well. I named it before I knew what city we were picking and where we were going to set up out base (I like to name the files based on where we set up shop). After we'd been playing for a while I renamed the server. Right before playing as well. At any rate I plan on backing up my saves from now on. I've been making sure to be on the correct build for the save/server I am accessing, but something's still gone wrong. I didn't start having this issue until recently as well. I'm hoping I can figure things out. That or they sort themselves out whether I figure it out or not.

7 hours ago, Beard said:

I am not sure myself, the save could have been messed up if you switched the Host from the public build to the IWBUMS, as I heard that saves are not really compatible between the builds.

I play on a server that switched from Public to IWBUMS version with no problems.

I've been switching to the correct build for each save. At any rate I've looked into the folders for the saves that appear to have been reset and all of the data that I see in all the other saves is missing from those reset saves so those saves are indeed gone. I wish I'd backed them up now, but I wasn't expecting to have any issues with any of my saves. I guess just because I wasn't experiencing any issues before I should have expected that to always be the case. I just wish I knew what was causing it so I could avoid it in the future.

I'm thinking now it may have been renaming each of the saves/server settings. At first I noticed that some of the files and folders had been renamed to the new name while some of the files and folders retained the original name. After the servers reset themselves and the saved data was lost I checked again and the folders that had previously retained the old names now had the new updated names, but all of the files inside were absent save for a few. So it appears that renaming the server settings may have reset the saves by not just renaming the files but overwriting them as well.

Archived