Workbench

MrTrololo

something rather for future updates-crafting stations... here's first one that should appear:

Wooden workbench for carpentry to craft items that cannot be crafted in hands

ingredients :

-6x wooden plank(my suggestion of required amount)

-1x hacksaw

-1x claw hammer

-1x vice (not implemented,but i can't imagine good workbench without it in real life)

-1x screwdriwer

some of them would appear already assembled in some places like power generators

it would be useful when more craftable weapons like wooden bows would appear

Not sure I fully understand the recipe.

Is it to say that those listed items are expended and become part of the crafting station? I'm not sure this idea works in a scavenging game as detailed as this one.  For instance, say you want to grab the hammer to fight, the hacksaw to make boards, or the vice to create scrap metal. Can you remove these things easily? Does the workstation retain its functionality? I think the more discrete that components in this game remain, the better, so that there are as few barriers as possible to accessing items in a hurry.

That said, a workstation requirement in recipes would be cool (such as a countertop for faster food recipe times, workbench for faster carpentry, etc), if it could be balanced with the scavenging priority of the game.

13 hours ago, trombonaught said:

a countertop for faster food recipe times, workbench for faster carpentry,

This is an interesting idea. I agree with @Burger_Time that you should still be able to make things regardless of what surface you're using, but being able to speed up the process or get a slight XP boost by crafting in the appropriate area could work nicely. Depends how much effort it'd be to code and whether the payout would be worth it.

Perhaps certain furniture you couldn't build a better quality version of unless you have access to a workbench. (I'm not a carpenter so someone in that line of work could suggest examples where this might be the case).

The idea is good.

52 minutes ago, OffitMan said:

Esta es una idea interesante. Estoy de acuerdo con @Burger_Time en que aún deberías poder hacer cosas independientemente de la superficie que estés utilizando, pero poder acelerar el proceso u obtener un ligero aumento de XP al hacer el trabajo en el área adecuada podría funcionar bien. Depende de cuánto esfuerzo sería codificar y si el pago valdría la pena.

Quizás con ciertos muebles no se pueda construir una versión de mejor calidad a menos que tenga acceso a una mesa de trabajo. (No soy un carpintero, por lo que alguien en esa línea de trabajo podría sugerir ejemplos en los que este podría ser el caso).

• 4 weeks later...

I dont like the Idea this way. Thats not how PZ works for me. 

Why do we need an Item which is named "workbench" which forces us to just build stuff at that specific place?

But i rly like the Idear of the need for a vice.

Now my Idear: Implement the vice as a placeable item like the Microwave which maybe should need 4 bolts to place it.

Whenever the character is in reach of a placed vice and has all other tools he needs in reach(like in cubboard or in inventory) he can go on and craft.

This way we could transform any table or bench into a "workbench"

Edited by Crashdummy11880

I like the idea of a workbench.... But it shouldn't preclude attempts to craft things in the field as this is often necessary. I think what it ought to do is improve the quality of products made, or conversely unlock a tiered level of quality that cannot be achieved freehand on uneven/unstable surfaces. And universally reduce the failure rate thus reducing material wasted in failed attempts.

I think the workbench represents the Object, yes.... a table with a Vise, and basic tools to do a particular job. Perhaps the tools should not be fixed or consumed in making the workbench, but rather a prerequisite as per the product you're trying to make.

Another thing it represents is a shoring up of the table. Mounting to the ground for stability. Installing a light source so you can see what you're doing. Adding a means to support or clamp the work.

In the case of welding, providing a ground clamp point to weld small objects where the circuit is completed through the table/vise instead of clamping directly on the item. Providing a burn-proof surface. In this case, not any table will do.

So what i'm trying to say is..... Sure, a doctor can deliver a baby in the nastiest public transit terminal littered with heroin needles and feces...  But the kid stands a better chance at survival if they were brought into the world in a neat, organized, and clean, environment designed for that purpose.

• 2 months later...

There should be a way to transform certain tables (not those plastic tacky ones - they are useless for that) to "workbench". Workbench is a table with tools on it and sometimes a drawer to keep some small materials - as far i understand idea of it - you can use chair as "workbench" - just put something on it to help you craft.

The idea to have "designed" place for crafting which will give speed boost is quite cool though. it will allow to organize more for long term survival (for those who don't play "nomad" style) but i don't think we have to specify tables - this one for crafting, this one for cooking etc. One to rule them all you know ;)

I think a standardized method to create such "movable Items" would be a very big help for many modders out there. I've always wanted to do things like a homemade coffee maker or a lab but I couldn't figure out how to do it yet.

Something like a "movable" fuction in script plus texture.

For example: Take a Plank, Nails, SheetMetal, Pot ... make Coffee Maker ... (Item in your Inventory) ... place Item ... (Item on a Table in the World).

Just like the homemade radios we already have.

Sure its more cosmetically but if you think like that, a salad is cosmetic too if you can eat worms.

Edit something like

item Something
    {
        Type            = Furniture,
        Icon            = Something, (The image in the inventory) Item_MSLab02.png.faeda18f593a42f2caf2b1d29e049854.png
        Weight              = 1.0,

DisplayName        = Something,       
        IsPortable        = TRUE,
        WorldObjectSprite North   = SomethingN, Item_MSLabLargeN.png.38b950c13d462a3c0fb6b4b8244e06f8.png

WorldObjectSprite South  = SomethingS, Item_MSLabLargeS.png.e31d0615c8fdfae7f76f644174cacc44.png
    }

recipe Make Something
    {
       Plank,
       keep Saw,

Result:Something, Item_MSLab02.png.faeda18f593a42f2caf2b1d29e049854.png
       Sound:Hammering,
       Time:50.0,
       Category:Carpentry,
    }

recipe Make Something Other
    {