How to kill off a large horde with only melee?

Kennethdio

I'm playing a Project Zomboid RP server, some zombies swarm me while driving and I died. I went over to find my zombie and found it, i need to kill it, and it joined a horde of an estimated 141 zombies, how can I get rid of them with only a hydrocraft machete?

The best way to deal with that much in one area is probably to lure them away. Lead them away shouting with "q"  if you're in decent shape. Once they are fairly far away, make a wide circle around and go back to where you need to go.

It's easier and probably overall more safe to lead them away with a car, but be aware that a car horn can attract stuff from pretty far away, so if you're in town a massive crowd can show up.

I would seriously consider what will be faster... killing ~100 zeds to get your old items back, or just finding all new items.

My guess is starting over will be both quicker and more enjoyable. Then one day if you randomly come across your old zombified body, you have a cool plot point.

10 hours ago, Kennethdio said:

I'm playing a Project Zomboid RP server, some zombies swarm me while driving and I died. I went over to find my zombie and found it, i need to kill it, and it joined a horde of an estimated 141 zombies, how can I get rid of them with only a hydrocraft machete?

Don't know how good is that Machete, but I've done it with knives so you should be able to if the machete doesn't break midway and if you don't exert yourself in the process (it hugely reduces your weapons effectiveness). You'll need to separate them in little groups, you can use buildings, exterior furniture (eg. picnic tables), parked cars, tall fences... anything that can serve as an obstacle basically. Kite them through those obstacles and circle around them if possible, picking them off one by one.  Its not advisable, convenient or practical (It'ill take a lot of time) and like trombonaught said you'd be better off just finding new stuff, but if you absolutely have to it sure is a fun thing to do. :-D

Well, first step is to put down those inferior blade weapons and fully embrace the godly quarterstaff.  Once you have done this, go into the woods and do a training montage. In-between hitting trees and singing "Eye of the Tiger", gather more branches for future quarterstaffs. Then, go kill some zombies in bunches.  With your new holy quarterstaff powers and good strength/endurance, you should be able to easily kill 50 or so before needing to retreat to take a break.  Grab a seat and have yourself a nice orange crush and a hoho to get some energy back. Maybe even two.

With the power of quarterstaffs, orange crush, and hohos, you too can kill any number of zombies in melee!

9 hours ago, SlightlyOff said:

Well, first step is to put down those inferior blade weapons and fully embrace the godly quarterstaff.  Once you have done this, go into the woods and do a training montage. In-between hitting trees and singing "Eye of the Tiger", gather more branches for future quarterstaffs. Then, go kill some zombies in bunches.  With your new holy quarterstaff powers and good strength/endurance, you should be able to easily kill 50 or so before needing to retreat to take a break.  Grab a seat and have yourself a nice orange crush and a hoho to get some energy back. Maybe even two.

With the power of quarterstaffs, orange crush, and hohos, you too can kill any number of zombies in melee!

Sorry... what's a quarterstaff?! I've never seen this! Is it a mod thing?

You could do it with about 30-40 butter knives and a lot of patience! Hehehehe. <3

But really, yeah the ideas mentioned about trying to get part of the herd to break off and follow you, then circle back loosing them, rinse and repeat until you have a smaller group to deal with. That's probably the best way.

If you use Orgm rechambered, shoot them all with shotgun loaded with 00 buck 12 gauge shotgunshells! Works wonders, you just need enough ammo^^

Or you could use the BB gun Red Ryder, silent with just a sound radius of 5 compared to shotguns 200 sound radius lul

• 1 month later...

There is cheat strategy using a car.

You need good car like police car. Bonus is siren.

Drive slowly... VERY slowly through a horde but don't stop. Well, you can stop for a moment but don't let them hit the window. They don't attack if you are moving even if your speed is 0.000001.

If you slow enough, they will die under the tires.

So you can kill thousands zombies in a few minutes.

Archived