Massive Multiplayer Lag for joining player

GHawkins

Hello,

I recently introduced a colleague of mine to Project Zomboid and he jumped right in after playing the demo for only an hour. 

So, as could've been expected, we immediately wanted to jump into some multiplayer and see how long we'd live. It was however not to be, since my colleague started lagging immediately upon joining. I myself, as the host, was not bothered by anything.

I am running with an i7-8700k, GTX 1080 and with 16gb of RAM (10 allocated to the server).

My colleague has an i3-2120 and a GeForce 510, so it's by no means a powerful PC. He however does have 6gb of RAM and has absolutely no problems running solo.

We were running without mods on a fresh world. Zombie settings were normal, we only had the shamblers enabled. We already tried disabling 3d models and there was a slight improvement, but it was still unplayable from my colleague's perspective.

Is there any fix we can apply to make this workable?

I guess the question is whether it's lag due to the hardware (does it run badly in single player, too?) or networking (wireless instead of cable,  using public ip vs. local ip + public IP for LAN, playing across vast, laggy distances from one another).

Immediately prior to going onto multiplayer, my colleague was playing singleplayer fine.  After our attempt at multiplayer, he hopped onto singleplayer again and it worked "Like a charm" (his literal words) without changing any settings from what he used in MP.

I myself am on a 200 mbit/s cabled connection. I am not entirely sure about his network setup, I'll ask him tomorrow.

Also, the physical distance between the two of us is about 10km.

Perhaps I should more clearly state that it was his game that was primarily lagging. I don't know how accurate his comment was, but it was along the lines of "I'm getting 1fps here". This was immediately after spawning in.