C&C Generals 2 cancelled

plekpot

Source: the Escapist

Electronic Arts abruptly cancels its unreleased Command & Conquer sequel.

Electronic Arts has pulled the plug on a Command & Conquer sequel that was scheduled for release this holiday season. The game, which was being developed by Victory Games, entered an alpha testing phase several months ago, and EA has not been pleased with the results.

"Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play," reads a post on the official Command & Conquer website. "That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game. Although we deeply respect the great work done by our talented team, ultimately it's about getting you the game you expect and deserve."

Unfortunately, this cancelation is going to be rough for the people at Victory Games. "This does mean that the Victory Games team will be disbanded," an EA representative told Game Informer. "Wherever possible, we are working to help these talented people find other opportunities with EA."

Command & Conquer has always been an important franchise for Electronic Arts, so I'm sure we'll eventually see another sequel. In fact, the publisher has "already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track."

In the mean time, I may have to reinstall Windows 98, so I can replay Tiberian Sun.

Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129133-EA-Nukes-Command-Conquer-Sequel#PhEFVAlIuVlJd7HJ.99

It seems that C&C Generals 2 (C&C officially) has been cancelled due to negative feedback from the alpha trial. C&C is not lost forever though, as it is very likely that the current work will be re-used for another C&C game.

I'm kind of in two minds about this. On the one hand the F2P thing seemed a very bad descision for me, on the other hand I liked that there would be new content for the Generals series.

What's your opinion?

I'm generally not very fond of F2P-games... most F2P games are pay-to-win. and thats a no go for me. some kid with his mothers credit card will beat me just because it has stuff and gear I will never ever see if I dont pay for it...

C&C is a great game though and I'd like to see a new one with a huge campaign and an awesome multiplayer

EA strikes again.

Man, their record is getting more and more impressive - I'm not sure if you guys remember the Ultima series (man I feel old) but that was the first in a long line of EA fucking up established brands.

Bioware and Mass Effect 3 could technically count too but only for the crappy ending. Should I add Maxis (sorry EAMaxis) and Sim City 2013?

Finally they completely raped my childhood to death by making Star Wars as an MMORPG which could not have failed if any other company had been handling it. Sadly EA were involved and that game has gone from crap to crap.

Also on a related note from my experience working for them for a short while as a QA tester for a Harry Potter game I know that their management practices are APPALLING.

I've been pretty put off by the whole direction of the franchise since EA bought it. I bought the first decade pack a couple years ago, and admittedly enjoyed Generals and its expansions, but I haven't been at all impressed by anything they've done since. I came close to buying RA3 until I saw the whole forced computer played co-op thing. I don't know who thought that would be a good idea. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, and I've kinda given up on the series since then. I think if I were going to buy a new RTS I'd buy Company of Heroes 2 or Starcraft 2 instead. Both look great and I've read reviews that back them up. Company of Heroes/Starcraft 1 both speak for themselves anyway.

This was the first I heard about generals 2. I never played tiberium twilight, but the vibe I got was they kinda fudged it. It would be cool to see another C&C tilte though. What I think EA need to do is focus on the basics and just replicate the series at its best points like RA1, Generals and elements of Tiberium wars/Wrath of Kane.

I played the hell out of RA2 too. That game ate my life for a long time. It came out right around the time my friends and I were graduating from high school, and when we all went away to college we'd coordinate Thursday night RA2 tournaments with each other. That was actually the main reason I bought first decade. Didn't know anything about Generals at the time. I did end up liking it though.

Yeah, I had to force myself to finish Tiberium Twilight, it's barely a rts. Never really got into RA1 and C&C Dawn and Sun, those were before my time (I'm from '94) ,I grew up with RA2, Age of Empires 2, Age of Myhtology (playing with my dad in coop) and so on. Red Alert 3 was just too much (@Plasticrage: the forced coop was bad indeed), RA2 got the combination of seriousness and humour just right. Generals was fun too (fedora) .

Never liked F2P much, pay to win is horrible, but some F2P are nice like Guild Wars 2. Seriously, what's wrong with "good ol' paying for a full game"? I'm doubtful about Generals 2 (besides: why name it Command & Conquer, that's just confusing :???: ).

Yeah, I had to force myself to finish Tiberium Twilight, it's barely a rts. Never really got into RA1 and C&C Dawn and Sun, those were before my time (I'm from '94) ,I grew up with RA2, Age of Empires 2, Age of Myhtology (playing with my dad in coop) and so on. Red Alert 3 was just too much (@Plasticrage: the forced coop was bad indeed), RA2 got the combination of seriousness and humour just right. Generals was fun too (fedora) .

Never liked F2P much, pay to win is horrible, but some F2P are nice like Guild Wars 2. Seriously, what's wrong with "good ol' paying for a full game"? I'm doubtful about Generals 2 (besides: why name it Command & Conquer, that's just confusing :???: ).

Some of them do work. I play League of Legends pretty regularly, which is F2P, and by no means pay to win. There's nothing you can buy with real money that you can't buy with earned in-game currency, and there isn't really any advantage to having those things early, save not having to invest the time playing that's required to earn them. I honestly couldn't see the MOBA genre working any other way. The whole in-game currency/constant updates system works well to give you goals to work towards. Otherwise I bet people would lose interest faster, just doing the same stuff over and over with no goal.

Some of them do work. I play League of Legends pretty regularly, which is F2P, and by no means pay to win. There's nothing you can buy with real money that you can't buy with earned in-game currency, and there isn't really any advantage to having those things early, save not having to invest the time playing that's required to earn them. I honestly couldn't see the MOBA genre working any other way. The whole in-game currency/constant updates system works well to give you goals to work towards. Otherwise I bet people would lose interest faster, just doing the same stuff over and over with no goal.

F2P walks a fine line in my opinion. I never really played a lot of MMO games, just GW2 and WoW, but I quit those because I don't want them te become a second job. I agree that the important part is that a game keeps giving you goals to work toward (fedora) . The games I do like from EA (aside from the games I mentioned) are C&C3 and the Sims (although that's a money-cow).

(PS: I suddenly got a member title, nice!)

I'd be hard pressed to name another F2P with micro-transactions that I've played and liked, or felt that system worked better than just one purchase. LoL is the only MMO I've ever allowed myself to get sucked into. Same fear here. I might never leave the house again.

LoL isn't an MMO, its a MOBA.

Right, well it's the closest thing I've allowed myself to get drawn into. It shares the elements of the MMO genre that I'm afraid of. The gameplay is addicting and based on competitive online interactions, and it's a game without an end. It just goes on as long as you're continuing to play. Maybe that and Dark Souls are the only ones I've really gotten into, but neither are really traditional MMO's. Just have some similar elements.

As long as they keep the formula intact I guess I'd be alright with that. I can't really see RIOT selling it though. I'm not even sure they have any other games. At least none that I've played or heard of.

LoL is more closely related to the RTS genre than it is to the MMO genre. I don't really see how it being competitive and long running makes it MMO like.

You guys are just dead set on splitting hairs aren't you?