Zombie Migration Question (across cells?)

ddraigcymraeg

Hi,

Have a question about how zombies migration across cells. In the custom sandbox options, I see that the zombie redistribution setting is about redistributing zombies to empty areas of the same cell. What about cells that are next door and are empty?

If I have a custom map (attached to the vanilla map say) with a cell that does not spawn or respawn zombies... will zombies eventually migrate to this cell? 

Was not certain of this. 

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm seeing some rumors that zombies can migrate across cells: 

"IRC migration works by checking the population in cells every configured hours and zombies from nearby cells migrate to lower populated ones. Within cells zombies probably roam randomly. They don't seem to roam too far very fast, but they do at least space out by the distance configuration.

Can anyone confirm?

If you have respawn off, I don't think you're going to get more zombies within a cleared cell unless you drag outsiders to it. With respawn on, it simulates zombies migrating to your location. If you want to be sure you're going to have to fight often keep respawn on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 11:55 AM, Demonic_Kat said:

If you have respawn off, I don't think you're going to get more zombies within a cleared cell unless you drag outsiders to it. With respawn on, it simulates zombies migrating to your location. If you want to be sure you're going to have to fight often keep respawn on.

Thanks but this is within a cell. I dont believe that zombies migrate across cells, which means that you can build a fort out in the woods and live happily ever after. 

• 1 month later...

We have respawn on (default settings) but we live outside a town. So no zombies at all while hords in cities.

Last time there was a helicopter over our home... We was waiting.... and only one zombie came, propapbly from next door.

Spoiler

We live here:

x1XIKSq.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just whipped up a mod to address this somewhat..

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1594882416

Wilderness Zeds

This is a simple mod that I whipped up, since PZ at the moment (as far as I can tell) does not have travelling hordes or single zombies etc... that cross the map areas (or specifically across map cells). So you could hole up somewhere in the wilderness, your own base or a cabin and not be bothered again. This mod 's aim is to change that a little bit. 

This mod will have extra zeds, and groups of zeds across the whole map, including wilderness areas. They will be rarer and more sporadic than in populated areas like towns. This will make the wilderness areas have more risk, especially in dense tree areas where you will have more chance of walking into an unseen zed. Shooting a gun or making a noise in the wilderness will attract nearby zeds if there are any.

Single zeds get encountered most likely, then small groups (1->4 zeds), then larger groups (4-14), with very occasionally hordes (15->114), and more rarely large hordes (115 -> 1114 zeds). 

These zeds dont respawn. 

I am still playing about with the randomness/rarity. 

Works in SP & MP. 

1 hour ago, ddraigcymraeg said:

Single zeds get encountered most likely, then small groups (1->4 zeds), then larger groups (4-14), with very occasionally hordes (15->114), and more rarely large hordes (115 -> 1114 zeds). 

**This mod will only add new zeds to areas of the map that have not yet been seen.**

Btw does the vanilla Sadistic AI director do anything similar or not? I thought it creates hordes or at least sends existing ones to your base at some point - but I haven't experienced that lately. My bases seem to be completely safe once the area is cleared od zombies...

28 minutes ago, ZombiesLoveBrainiacs said:

Btw does the vanilla Sadistic AI director do anything similar or not? I thought it creates hordes or at least sends existing ones to your base at some point - but I haven't experienced that lately. My bases seem to be completely safe once the area is cleared od zombies...

I am honestly not sure since I havent played with that setting on for long enough. Based on everything that I have read in other threads etc...  no it does not, like you found out. 

This part of my description, is not true, so I removed it. It will work with current areas that are explored: **This mod will only add new zeds to areas of the map that have not yet been seen.**

So  just realized that if you have a base they can potentially spawn in the base (it will only happen once). I do a check on if the spawn tile is part of a building or not, which should hopefully help a bit.  But... the extra zeds do not respawn, so once cleared they will not come back in that same area, unless others come in from surrounding wilderness areas.

So this mod doesn't really have migrating zeds across cells. Really doing something like that in lua would require a Nolan Richie type effort, and would probably still have bugs. Hopefully the devs can incorporate something into their engine. I'm thinking zeds/hordes that could come into the game world over time from map edge say, and migrate across the world. 

Archived