bigger and more detailed trees?

Ayrton Orio

Hey TIS team,

I have not found the question on the forum so here it goes: are you planning on improving trees? Because essentially everything is on scale in the game except for the trees that don't exceed more or less 2,50 (1 floor). I know that there are some deep forest areas where trees are blown up but i was guessing it was a placeholder.

I can completely understand why something like this would not be a priority considering what your team is working on at the moment, but that would be a very nice visual improvement and would impact almost every frame in game... It would also make all forest area less repetitive and more scenic. It might actually save some performance advantages (but I might be very wrong) as it would mean drawing one big tree instead of 9 small.

I drew one just to illustrate my point

trees.jpg

To my knowledge, this is something they've already done  What exactly are you asking?

Personally, I think the 'more detailed tree' example you've provided does not fit the style of the game, it's too detailed. 

It would be nice to have a little more variety in trees within the existing types (ie 3 types of Pine, across the 6 possible sizes). 

In the current tilesets, there's only one variant for each stage of growth. I assume these are scaled to fit one of the 6 sizes. 

Some trees have seasonal variations, but I'm meaning variation as in a tree that appears as a different 'orientation' or different branches etc - for which there is no variation currently. 

you are absolutely right, that looks fantastic. But it's not implemented yet, or did I not venture far enough to see those trees?

As for the "too detailed", you might be right since I really wished the forest gameplay was a bit more interesting so I might have overdone it a little bit, but I think it also anticipates on the future animation update visual improvement and on the latest sprite additions... Agreed with variety for sure, that's were giving more details could come in handy.

Not to go too far off on a tangent, but you're right in saying it would fit the new animation style. The tree appears to use a sort of Ambient Occlusion effect quite heavily. I think the new character styles would go well in an environment that also utilised this. Imagine how fantastic it would look with this very old community-made mockup  Sadly, I don't think this is something they can do within the current engine. 

I don't think you've ventured far enough to see the bigger trees - I've come across plenty of taller trees.

you also have to remember due to the game being isometric and only one camera angle if you have giant trees you will have a lot of problems with stuff behind those trees.  If you have to chop down 10 trees just to get at the tree you actually want to chop down, that's going to get really annoying really fast.