Least Appealing Occupations?

DoritoS

I'm working on an in-depth analysis of the occupations to develop what I would call "the tier list". It essentially categorizes occupations by the most important factors a player would use to choose which they'll use. From there create a summary of occupations that need a "hook" to make them as relevant as something like Carpentry and a suggested buff for them ie. a lock pick perk for Burglar. My question is, which occupation do you find yourself choosing the least and why?

Edited by DoritoS

do you want to know the occupation we would be least likely to choose?  for me I pretty much don't choose any occupation that doesn't really help me right off the bat. Doctor, burglar, security guard, farmer, fisherman, ect don't really help me in the beginning so  I never choose them. 

I think you should come at this from the other direction and ask what peoples go-to occupation is.  Mine is Lumberjack. faster ax swing (great for zombies and trees), slightly faster forest travel speed. a strength bonus plus a blade accuracy bonus. My second favorite is the veteran for that sweet, sweet desensitization.

I'd go with "Burger Flipper."

In short, much like my "real life self" my character is a lazy slob and hates cooking. So cooking skills are basically worthless to me, particularly when my "cooking" consists of sucking down a bottle of Remoulade (partly because I didn't know what it was and figured it was like Lemonade. Turns out I was wrong...) for dinner. Blade maintenance isn't really something that interests me much either.

That and the strength/fitness benefits don't really outweigh the other classes like Lumberjack or Carpenter which I usually prefer to take. Overall it's one of the classes I typically wouldn't use.

Yes that's what I was asking for. Lots of occupations have different levels of viability based on your game settings ie difficulty, online/ offline. Immediate value is really important as well, so I'll have to consider that when determining the tiers and buffs. Personally I usually pick based on how active I have to be when leveling up the skill. Some are very passive and offer absolutely no value to specialize in them ie. fishing. the TV gives you 2 full levels in a matter of minutes so when ever spend points on it?

Metalworker is objectively useless to take as a starting occupation. Not only is metalworking neither accessible or efficient to use at the beginning of any level of playthrough, but the things you can make are also easily replaced by carpentry in the lower and higher levels of knowledge. 

Ideally, metalworking is a skill that you could learn up to the starting level of three after you have already secured yourself enough carpentry knowledge to actually build defenses. It's something that would only benefit anyone who has reached the late stages of the game and it would certainly not help them get there. It is wiser to simply pick anything else and read metalworking books in your spare time.

A workaround that could heavily benefit this (among other occupations that buff under-utilized skills) would be to make the buff substantially higher so it gives you something that makes working with welding something easier for that character. For example, buffing the start level to would make metalworker-related tasks successful and make it more appealing to the player to pursue that skill as the quality of things you can build will actually give the players a reasonable cost-reward ratio. Compare this to Level 3  (the current starting level) which does not open your options much for players who have picked this occupation under the expectation of being able to build stronger walls immediately.

Conclusion: Massive hit and miss. Little practical use. Barely rewarded for having the skill. Requires late game or low difficulty comfort to utilize fully. There is no incentive to take this as an occupation even if the player values metalworking within their playstyle.

Edited by Kim Jong Un

IMO only a few occupations are useful. Most of them are useless because a simple +x to skill y is not enough to make a profession interesting. Each of the professions should have a unique perk like Desensitised or Axe man.

For example:

Carpenter could have a Woodworker perk that allows you craft wooden dowels (like those in a mod) to build stuff with no nails (with a few exceptions like barricading a window or door).

Metalworker could have a Welder perk that allows you to build metal stuff with less materials needed also gathering more metal materials from dismantling cars and other stuff.

Fisherman could have an Expert angler perk that would make i.e. catching bigger fish, loosing bait more rarely, finding worms easier and repairing fishing rods using less twine or fishing line.

etc. etc. etc.

Edited by Geras