Looping over getBodyParts()

AmbiguousMonk

I'm attempting to write a function that will loop over each of the body parts of a player and restore them to full health using RestoreToFullHealth(), but it seems that if I loop over them as so:

local parts = getPlayer():getBodyDamage():getBodyParts();

for i=0, (getPlayer():getBodyDamage():getBodyParts():size() - 1) do

parts[i]:RestoreToFullHealth();

end

then I get a "java.lang.RuntimeException: attempted index: RestoreToFullHealth of non-table: null" error and I'm not sure why. Can anyone explain to me why this is happening and/or the appropriate way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Thank you for your suggestion Fenris_Wolf and you're absolutely right! However, when I implement your suggestion, like so:

local parts = getPlayer():getBodyDamage():getBodyParts();

for i=0, 16 do
	if parts[i] then parts[i]:RestoreToFullHealth() end
	if not parts[i] then getPlayer():Say("uh oh") end
end

, the behavior I witness in game is the player character repeatedly saying "uh oh" without any healing happening at all (I'm calling the function using this code with the OnPlayerUpdate event). This leads me to believe that maybe lua isn't capable of handling the BodyPartType types java is using in these cases? I'm no expert programmer, so I'm not sure this actually is the case, but it seems that every time I attempt to refer to a BodyPart object in lua, I see this kind of erroneous behavior

1 hour ago, AmbiguousMonk said:

when I implement your suggestion, like so:

ah sorry I see what I did there... my previous post was early my time and I may not have had enough coffee.

The problem is getPlayer():getBodyDamage() is returning a java array. Doing:

if parts[i] then parts[i]:RestoreToFullHealth() end

Is trying to treat that java array as a lua table, which it's not. It should be used like:

if parts:get(i) then parts:get(i):RestoreToFullHealth() end

20 minutes ago, ProjectSky said:

local Body = getPlayer():getBodyDamage()

Body:RestoreToFullHealth()

I was going to suggest this as a shortcut, however using the BodyDamage.RestoreToFullHealth method has other effects as well.

It basically loops over all the BodyParts and calls a RestoreToFullHealth on them (as the initial poster was attempting to do), then runs additional code triggering other effects:

removes pain

resets endurance

cures drunkenness

cures colds
removes wetness

removes the zombie infection
removes boredom
removes unhappiness
removes food sickness
and resets the player temperature

Edited by Fenris_Wolf

Thank you so much, Fenris_Wolf! That was exactly the solution to my problem. I greatly appreciate the help

ProjectSky, thank you for your suggestion as well, although my goal isn't to actually use this code to heal the player. I was just using those calls as an example of the problem I was having while attempting to loop through each of the body parts. I apologize for not coming up with a better example