Crash at loading character textures - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

wanderinbilly

Question

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 and now PZ crashes at two different stages - at loading character textures before game gets started or after character creation and right before game is supposed to start. I've updated Windows, and the video card, Java.Steam overly off, game files verified, zoom,testure2x,& bMultithreadedRendering false, texture compression true.

Can I allocate more RAM to the 32bit executable? I'm using 32 bit Windows. I used to allocate 2048. I can't change it from 1200 in the .json without the game crashing in 1 second. Is there anyway to change that or should I be changing a value in Java? (I even lowered memory to 1000 and 1000 at a dev's suggestion. It did act differently but same ultimate result.) I watched the memory in system monitor and the game doesn't even try to use more memory. 

Thanks for any help - I haven't played in a month and will soon perish. =|

9 answers to this question

Okie Dokie - I can run both IWBUMS and current version by knocking xmx & xms DOWN to 768! 

As for options, I have multi-threading off and compression on and lowered the resolution. Using 2x textures and all 3D settings. 

SMH  Still, I can only play solo right now - when I try to log on to a server I get really far before it crashes at "load save map" in the CMD box.

You could go to your game folder in your steam fodler SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid
There is a file called ProjectZomboid64.bat, you can edit that one instead of the .json to increase memory and then just start the game using that file.
Hopefully it helps.

2 minutes ago, Beard said:

You could go to your game folder in your steam fodler SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid
There is a file called ProjectZomboid64.bat, you can edit that one instead of the .json to increase memory and then just start the game using that file.
Hopefully it helps.

Thanks but I'm using Windows 32 Bit. =|

8 hours ago, Beard said:

Do the same thing but with ProjectZomboid32.bat

If that doesnt help, it might mean that your computer is now using way more RAM than before, and the game crashes because of it.

Thanks for your help - this is a nasty issue! 

Yeah, I run resmon during loading and the game doesn't even try to grab more memory. Bah. I am trying to reserve RAM but am told that Windows couldn't reserve 1500m for the "object heap"  and I used to allocate 2048.  I guess that it has to be contiguous? So, I'm running defrag and the disk looks awfully fragmented - this is going to take awhile I guess - it's at 6% consolidation now.  I'll let that complete and get back to it.

Oh yeah, when the game is loading it notes "ATI: available texture memory is 463 MB" I've messed around in the card's console but couldn't find where to increase that yet - should I bother? Does it matter?

I *can* play the 38.30 pre-vehicles version (solo obv) - only mods are Hydro, Survivors! (first version), and ORGM so far. I've had the IWBUMS running on solo but can't remember what I did. I've been putting all my troubleshooting steps in notepad now. :oops:

Setting the JVM"s Xmn value beyond 1280m on a 32-bit OS will cause an OOM. Perhaps you were only changing the Xmx value in the past? I'd not recommend it, regardless as it'll just crash when it inevitably uses more than 1280 MB. It does need to be a contiguous block of RAM, so relying on the Page file to provide additional RAM probably will not work. 

You might be able to play if you disable most of the video-RAM intensive stuff (a 512 MB video card is quite limited), such as zoom, FBO GUI, 2X textures, and play at a lower resolution. Removing the mods, at least initially, would also help get you started.

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Setting the JVM"s Xmn value beyond 1280m on a 32-bit OS will cause an OOM. Perhaps you were only changing the Xmx value in the past? I'd not recommend it, regardless as it'll just crash when it inevitably uses more than 1280 MB. It does need to be a contiguous block of RAM, so relying on the Page file to provide additional RAM probably will not work. 

You might be able to play if you disable most of the video-RAM intensive stuff (a 512 MB video card is quite limited), such as zoom, FBO GUI, 2X textures, and play at a lower resolution. Removing the mods, at least initially, would also help get you started.

Ah yes, I have read many posts where you helped out w/ this stupid issue. . =) If only it was just Steam overlay or something. I've turned a bunch of stuff off in the .ini file and turned on compression. I have some concern whether my card's drivers are really being installed on my Dell - I went to AMD's site and got them there but it's still something on the table.  Here's an embarrassing question - where do I set the resolution lower, in game or overall environment?:oops: Thanks, man.

I'd change it in the Options.ini file. It's right at the top. 

width=1280
height=720

Make sure you change this one to match. It's the FBO GUI:

uiRenderOffscreen=flase

And remember, you don't need to unsubcribe .etc to disable the mods. Just go to %UserProfile%\Zomboid\mods\ and delete the loaded.txt file.

Hope that helps. :)

Thank you very much! I was eyeing  uiRenderOffscreen but didn't touch. Oh, and I'm defragging because I freakin' misread a post on some Java site - it was early. Aw well, it needed to be done anyway and the post might still be helpful.  Note that I can play 38.30 w/ a few mods and I managed to get IWBUMS w/ no mods going but haven't been able to get the current version going. I just can't play w/o mods, including on servers.  Cool, a few more things to try then I really need to look at my machine: it was playing the previous IWBUMS on a server just great until I had to reinstall Windows. 

Archived