[V40.16] RX 480 experiencing graphics problems

Ungod

Game was doing fine in 40.14 and after the latest patch the game will initially play for about 10 minutes after loading my backup. After that the graphics freeze while I can still hear my character moving and sound effects. Subsequent loading result in the game doing the same thing within 10 seconds. Tried updating drivers to both latest and optional causing the same pattern to repeat. System is Win 10 64 bit 2500k with 16 gigs of ram.

3 hours ago, Ungod said:

Game was doing fine in 40.14 and after the latest patch the game will initially play for about 10 minutes after loading my backup. After that the graphics freeze while I can still hear my character moving and sound effects. Subsequent loading result in the game doing the same thing within 10 seconds. Tried updating drivers to both latest and optional causing the same pattern to repeat. System is Win 10 64 bit 2500k with 16 gigs of ram.

Thanks Ungod - this is the issue that we mentioned in the blog yesterday. We're looking into it atm, and it's possible our support guys might have a few questions for you. Sorry for the inconvenience.

RX 460, have a similar issue after trying to sleep - screen went black ( clock icon never showed up) could hear my character moving after I forced him awake but couldn't see anything and couldn't even pull up the menu afterwards, I had to alt-f4 to exit. 

::edit::

went to play today and it only worked for a few seconds until the graphics froze just like Ungod. Steam overlay has been disabled since the 40.16 update. win 10 64 bit, Ryzen 3 2200g, 4 gig rx 460, 8 gig ram.

Edited by thejoker954
added more info

I have the same GFXcard and my problem is similar. My game crashes in the same way when I enter a hangar at the railyard, in the pouring rain.

Ive been experimenting. For me the crashing occurs when i enter a hangar at the railyard. In the pouring rain. When i turn off 3d models the crashing stops. Unfortunately that also makes cars invisible. I've found that the game does not crash when I walk into the same hangar (in the same world, same character, same settings) if it doesnt rain. The batch file running in the background when the game runs, says both stack underflow and stack overflow, switching very fast between the two, when the crash occurs. For me, it doesnt matter whether my car is in sight or not.

Edited by ZomboidSander

org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Stack underflow (1284)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Util.checkGLError(Util.java:59)
        at zombie.core.Core.DoEndFrameStuffFx(Core.java:2753)
        at zombie.core.textures.TextureDraw.run(TextureDraw.java:426)
        at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer$RingBuffer$StateRun.render(SpriteRenderer.java:557)
        at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer$RingBuffer.render(SpriteRenderer.java:515)
        at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer$RingBuffer.finish(SpriteRenderer.java:524)
        at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer.postRender(SpriteRenderer.java:1159)
        at zombie.core.opengl.RenderThread.Ready(RenderThread.java:146)
        at zombie.core.Core.EndFrameUI(Core.java:811)
        at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.renderframeui(IngameState.java:1060)
        at zombie.gameStates.IngameState.render(IngameState.java:1104)
        at zombie.gameStates.GameStateMachine.render(GameStateMachine.java:37)
        at zombie.GameWindow.render(GameWindow.java:743)
        at zombie.GameWindow.run(GameWindow.java:1320)
        at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:1088)
        at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:182)

And then stream of nullpointer exemption errors...

Edit...  If you just want to play without this annoying crash every 10 minutes, hit Backspace to open the Weather Debug menus, and Disable Climate... Hope it gets sorted out, the climate stuff was looking pretty cool... But i'll take function over eye candy any day...

Edited by Arsenal26
to edit something

22 hours ago, Arsenal26 said:

Edit...  If you just want to play without this annoying crash every 10 minutes, hit Backspace to open the Weather Debug menus, and Disable Climate... Hope it gets sorted out, the climate stuff was looking pretty cool... But i'll take function over eye candy any day...

I forgot all about the weather debug menu. (although you might have problems at night - I was playing single player and had nice weather so no crashing, but once night came going from dark to light areas seemed to cause crashes for me - but maybe there was a weather effect going on I wasn't seeing)

I tried a bunch of different settings and found if you disable 3d models (set to none) the crashing stops, but vehicles become invisible - all you will see is their shadows on the ground. Steam overlay can be on and all other settings at your own personal default.

Having the same problem with a Radeon Pro 560. Have had the crashes happen in two scenarios: When there's rain, and when sleeping. It seems like the interface freezes and stops working but I'm still moving and time is still passing based on audio.

MacbookPro bootcamped Windows 10, 16GBram. 

I'll have to try the debug menu though ;) thanks Arsenal.

3 minutes ago, Scyoni said:

Having the same problem with a Radeon Pro 560. Have had the crashes happen in two scenarios: When there's rain, and when sleeping. It seems like the interface freezes and stops working but I'm still moving and time is still passing based on audio.

MacbookPro bootcamped Windows 10, 16GBram. 

I'll have to try the debug menu though ;) thanks Arsenal.

One thing I've noticed with the weather debug, is when you disable it it stays whatever weather it was when on, so if you disable it while raining it will keep raining, and it will be daylight 24/7 (possibly night 24/7 if you disable it at night, but I tend to exit out first thing in the morning after a nights rest, so I'm always disabling it during the day.)

Just had it happen again and checked my logs. This error popped up about 9000 times:

org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Stack underflow (1284)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Util.checkGLError(Util.java:59)
    at zombie.core.Core.DoEndFrameStuffFx(Core.java:2753)
    at zombie.core.textures.TextureDraw.run(TextureDraw.java:426)
    at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer$RingBuffer$StateRun.render(SpriteRenderer.java:557)
    at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer$RingBuffer.render(SpriteRenderer.java:515)
    at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer$RingBuffer.add(SpriteRenderer.java:221)
    at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer.build(SpriteRenderer.java:1086)
    at zombie.core.SpriteRenderer.postRender(SpriteRenderer.java:1157)
    at zombie.core.opengl.RenderThread$1.run(RenderThread.java:96)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Sidenote - my keyboard doesn't have a 'backspace' button, just delete (yay, Mac). I haven't had a mac for long, is there some alternative trick to this or is that menu just not accessible? The controls lists a LUA debugger under F11 but that doesn't seem to do anything either.

Edited by Scyoni

Yes, same here...  Haven't crashed in fog or rain since update!! yay

I still notice my "enable zoom" even though its indicated as YES in my options, it is in fact disabled every time I start my game up or load a save game... Forcing me to go into options, and re-select YES even though it already says YES...  Then it works...

11 hours ago, Arsenal26 said:

Yes, same here...  Haven't crashed in fog or rain since update!! yay

I still notice my "enable zoom" even though its indicated as YES in my options, it is in fact disabled every time I start my game up or load a save game... Forcing me to go into options, and re-select YES even though it already says YES...  Then it works...

The way these settings work is if an error with OpenGL or RAM is detected on start, it'll disable the setting. So this tells us something is still going wrong.  It's just not enough to prevent it from enabling it later.

For shaders (if the world suddenly looks oddly colorful), the setting will still say "yes," even though it's been stuck into safemode. You'll see it in the console, though, after changing it to no -> apply then yes -> apply.

It's going to be fun to figure out. :) Had to order an AMD card and am waiting on it now.