New Chat System

EnigmaGrey

image.png

New Chat System

In prior versions of the game, Project Zomboid’s chat system treated messages as though they all came from a single source. Now, in build 40, chat is separated into a variety of streams.

These streams can be customized on the server.

Chat Streams

Chat streams can be turned on or off by adding their identifier to the ChatSteams option. It is a comma-separated list. These identifiers are based on the command used in-game.

Say

s

Talk to nearby players; can only be heard from a short distance; visible above the player’s head

White

/say “blarg”

Radio

r

Walkie-talkies and ham radios; visible above the player’s head; requires a working radio in hand (?)

Grey

/r “arg”

All

a

Talk to everyone on the server; can be heard on Discord

Yello

/all “err”

Whisper

w

Private message a specific user

Purple

"/whisper <username> <message>

Yell

y

Shout to players nearby; can be heard further away; visible above the player’s head

Red

/yell “Hell yeah!”

Safehouse

sh

Communicate with your safe house group

Light Green

/sf “I don’t think we should let him in.”

Faction

f

Speak to only your faction members

Dark Green

/f “Something clever here”

Admin Stream and Separate Tab

There is also a special stream, just for admins. This is denoted with /a or /admin.

E.g. /admin “Let’s ban him.”

It is only available to admins. Admins will see this chat as a separate tab. Messages and commands can be entered here without possibly being seen by other users.

Stream Config

Enable all chat streams:

ChatStreams=s,r,a,w,y,sh,f,all

Enable Only Say, Radio, and Yell:

ChatSTreams=s, r, y

If a player sends a message in a disallowed chat stream then the chat panel will display an error message, giving the player a list of enabled streams they can use instead

Discord Integration and Config

Server owners have the option of routing general chat (/all) to a Discord server.

For this to work,

• DIscord must be enabled in the server config,

• A bot token must be provided, and

• A valid room ID needs to be provided.

Any messages in the specific room will be forwarded to players on the server. These’ll show up in the /all stream, as light blue text.

You can find more about setting up your own bot here:

https://github.com/reactiflux/discord-irc/wiki/Creating-a-discord-bot-&-getting-a-token

Tips

History

The new Chatbox remembers your last used channel and message, and commands. Just press 't' or Enter, and the game will have your last used channel/command in the input field.

To navigate over chat history use arrow up and arrow down.

Each chat tab has its own chat history.

Quick Chat

The chat panel will remember the last stream you used, just press Enter.

Rapidly Changing Streams

For players, pressing Tab will cycle between the available chat Streams (e.g. /all -> [TAB] -> /say), saving time.

Interacting With the Chat Panel and Combat

You have to press Tab, T, or Enter by default to interact with the chat panel. You cannot click anything other than the cog, the pin, or the X button otherwise.

This is to keep you from dying when in combat. You can now right click through the chat panel to activate the world context menu (e.g. climbing through windows)  engage in combat despite your mouse being over the chat panel.

User Customization

You can see available chat settings by clicking on ‘gear’ icon of the chatbox. Here you will find settings for fonts, chat titles, timestamps, fade and transparency.

You can lock chat size and position by click on lock icon.

Known Bugs

- History does not work in the current build

- It is not possible to teleport to coordinates

- Help displays /teleportto, despite it being removed

- AddUserToWhitelist will generate a very interesting password if none is specified

These will likely be sorted in the next release.

• 1 year later...

This feature no longer seems to be working. I get an error saying that I need to have an email and a password to connect with the discord bot. It says no valid token provided, but I copied the one labeled "client secret" (again I think Discord has changed how this works!)

from my servertest.ini:

DiscordEnable=true
DiscordToken=<insert_valid_token>
DiscordChannel=pz-server-ingame-chat
DiscordChannelID=797150114950021142

error I got when running server:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No valid token provided AND missing email or password. Connecting not possible!
        at de.btobastian.javacord.ImplDiscordAPI.connectBlocking(ImplDiscordAPI.java:155)
        at de.btobastian.javacord.ImplDiscordAPI$2.call(ImplDiscordAPI.java:145)
        at de.btobastian.javacord.ImplDiscordAPI$2.call(ImplDiscordAPI.java:142)
        at com.google.common.util.concurrent.TrustedListenableFutureTask$TrustedFutureInterruptibleTask.runInterruptibly(TrustedListenableFutureTask.java:111)
        at com.google.common.util.concurrent.InterruptibleTask.run(InterruptibleTask.java:58)
        at com.google.common.util.concurrent.TrustedListenableFutureTask.run(TrustedListenableFutureTask.java:75)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Edited by unholy
add information from my servertest.ini

On 1/8/2021 at 6:29 PM, unholy said:

This feature no longer seems to be working. I get an error saying that I need to have an email and a password to connect with the discord bot. It says no valid token provided, but I copied the one labeled "client secret" (again I think Discord has changed how this works!)

from my servertest.ini:

DiscordEnable=true
DiscordToken=<insert_valid_token>
DiscordChannel=pz-server-ingame-chat
DiscordChannelID=797150114950021142

error I got when running server:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No valid token provided AND missing email or password. Connecting not possible!
        at de.btobastian.javacord.ImplDiscordAPI.connectBlocking(ImplDiscordAPI.java:155)
        at de.btobastian.javacord.ImplDiscordAPI$2.call(ImplDiscordAPI.java:145)
        at de.btobastian.javacord.ImplDiscordAPI$2.call(ImplDiscordAPI.java:142)
        at com.google.common.util.concurrent.TrustedListenableFutureTask$TrustedFutureInterruptibleTask.runInterruptibly(TrustedListenableFutureTask.java:111)
        at com.google.common.util.concurrent.InterruptibleTask.run(InterruptibleTask.java:58)
        at com.google.common.util.concurrent.TrustedListenableFutureTask.run(TrustedListenableFutureTask.java:75)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

It is not the Client Secret that should be copied, but instead the Bot Token, which is in the "Bot" tab in the developer settings:
image.png

image.png

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 4:18 PM, Beard said:

It does work on my server, did you use the bot TOKEN and not the ID by mistake? And use the channel ID and not the channel name, as that doesnt work properly usually.

Sorry for the delay, getting back to testing this. I removed the name from:

DiscordChannel=

Copied the channel ID to:

DiscordChannelID=

All is well with the world now!

Edited by TiTANSTORM

• 5 weeks later...

when using whisper sometimes the message doesn't go thru. but Error Message appears at lower right. Don't know if it's the stream ban words are active? no notification of the error and Person is still online according to list. don't know if still in menu or building a new char. or the name type incorrectly . is there like /w then list auto shows  frequent player talked to or List of Online to talk to?

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, sanderethx said:

Hello, how can i modify the name of the bot? In my config, the name become (servertest).

The chat between discord and game worked like a charm!

Thank's.

That would be so useful. Leaving a comment so i will get a ping about this info

• 4 weeks later...