Is Rosewood and riverside real places?

Burger_Time

It's funny that people still call it Knox County, because I think we haven't called it that for years. Knox County was basically the map from our tech alpha back in the day.

The real Knox County is somewhere entirely different, which is also partly why we dropped the name when we moved to the new map. The additions of Rosewood and Riverside were not based on the real life location of Muldraugh and its surroundings.

3 hours ago, nasKo said:

It's funny that people still call it Knox County, because I think we haven't called it that for years. Knox County was basically the map from our tech alpha back in the day.

The real Knox County is somewhere entirely different, which is also partly why we dropped the name when we moved to the new map. The additions of Rosewood and Riverside were not based on the real life location of Muldraugh and its surroundings.

Some of the map and challenge descriptions reinforce this by calling it Knox Country. Easy to miss the R.

Muldraugh is a small town in an area the locals know as 'Knox Country'  . . .

On 09.09.2018 at 3:09 PM, nasKo said:

The additions of Rosewood and Riverside were not based on the real life location of Muldraugh and its surroundings.

So umm... Are they gonna be removed when the Louisville, Brandenburg etc. Come out? Just imagining the guy who lives in Kentucky IRL and he will be like: "oh cool, they've got Louisville and Brandenburg here! What else do they have? Muldraugh, west-point and... What the hell? Riverside and Rosewood? I don't think we have these towns here..." :)

I doubt they'll be removing/replacing part of the map. All that effort to make Riverside just to be stripped out for a town of similar size. Doesn't seem worth it. I may be wrong but I don't think Bradenburg will be in the game, at least not in the same place as it is IRL.

Louisville is to the north east of Muldraugh, a part of the PZ map where currently, nothing is there. TIS can add Louisville without disrupting anything. I think its why they've left a strip to the east of Muldraugh, which is where I assume Fort Knox will be.

30 minutes ago, OffitMan said:

I doubt they'll be removing/replacing part of the map. All that effort to make Riverside just to be stripped out for a town of similar size. Doesn't seem worth it.

Let's be clear — that's gonna make sense. Riverside can be "Spacefiller" so the map would seem larger but not feel empty. Then they can add a pretty big Brandenburg that locates at the west of the riverside, delete riverside and add... Let's say.... A factory.

3 hours ago, Burger_Time said:

"Spacefiller"

Like I say, I doubt they'll replace Riverside. There's nothing wrong with it, took weeks/months to produce and the time spent replacing it could be used on other areas of the map that actually need it, like the South-West corner, the South East and the other side of the river.

Personally, I'm not a fan of how PZ mixes fictional towns with real world locations. I'm more interested in seeing what gameplay possibilities can be extracted from the real-world setting - rather than making them up whole cloth.

That said, I acknowledge that my opinion on this matter is likely in the minority. Still thought I'd throw it in the mix.

On 9/9/2018 at 10:09 PM, nasKo said:

It doesn't help that both blindcoder's map and the wiki still call it Knox County. It's something I've wanted to change on the wiki for a while now. 

Honestly I don't see any point calling it something else. Its well known its in Kentucky. Knox is mentioned all throughout the radio (including 'Knox County' at one point during a commercial) and the Ohio River is mentioned. Its so ingrained into peoples heads and the lore now theres really not much point calling it something else.

Its also already been stated that this is not quite our earth as we know, but a alternate... though i'd have to do some serious digging to find that post. Which is why we don't have real fast food chains (ie: Spiffo's instead of McDonalds) and other shop names, or vehicle names etc (besides the legal copyright usage). It makes sense then that the map wouldnt be a 1 to 1 copy, and why some small towns may exist that aren't real in our world.

On 9/10/2018 at 7:07 PM, MashPotato said:

If I was told I would have to replace towns already on the map, I would just cry.

Instead of replacing towns, make pancakes and waffles. Build forts out of the pancakes and waffles. Then make little pancake and waffle soldiers and have them fight it out to see who is superior. Supply syrup to both sides without letting the other one know. Before a victor emerges eat everything and declare yourself the victor.

Archived