Beeverdoid

nasKo

I don't think there's any intention for this stuff to be a defence against humans. This stuff is for keeping zombies from smashing the glass, getting caught in the tires, collapsing the hood, destroying the front rails, or getting snagged under the underside of the car. 

No one's building a tank in PZ.

9 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I don't think there's any intention for this stuff to be a defence against humans. This stuff is for keeping zombies from smashing the glass, getting caught in the tires, collapsing the hood, destroying the front rails, or getting snagged under the underside of the car. 

No one's building a tank in PZ.

Tank? Nope.  Just a car with a significant amount of scrap metal covering the bumper, engine block, tires, and a thick metal sheet with narrow slits on the windshield. Maybe more like a Sunday cruiser to go to the country club in.

Edited by sharkstertheshark

3 hours ago, sharkstertheshark said:

It doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to stop a 7.62 or two.

I'm no gun nut but how much fucken metal do you intend to slap on your vehicle to stop a 7.62mm round? :D

There are videos of it going through an inch of a steel plate with no hassle. To reach actual protection from bullets just by slapping metal on it, that's quite some weight you'd be putting onto an area of the vehicle.

Overall good input though, and we'll certainly have to think about how to balance the damage reduction/prevention that any of the armor options will provide, but I have my doubts there will be much in the sense of protection against bullets, which makes all of this mainly a protection from zombies, not guns.  

Additional stuff like basically driving in a kevlar and steel tank could and maybe should be left to mods.

@Sharkster, Good point!!   I recall the first time I played the vehicle test branch, how different the game was all of a sudden... Great distances were no longer a problem, and the rain and cold in between those distances were all things of the past. First time I played, I died lost on the roadside from the cold because of the two available directions to run, I chose the wrong one... If only I paid more attention to orienteering in my youth...  After vehicles, this never happened again....  ever.

I think the solution to the problem of an unrealistic "safe-zone" which will be the armored car lies with the entire Mad Max series.... Fuel.... Without it, you can sit there and not get eaten for days and weeks..... but unless you can reach the trunk where your food run loot is, you're going to die a slow agonizing death... So I think Sandbox settings will determine how useful or over-powered this becomes...  All that armor becomes a lot less useful if the vehicle won't move...

(like the big armored truck in FTWD that got stuck in the ditch several episodes ago) it just became a liability in a Blackhawk down type of magnitude...  By this, I mean.... a minute ago you "thought" you were going from point A - B with all your best shit in your super awesome armored vehicle.... Then it got stuck.   Now your entire last 100 hours of looting effort is stranded and about to be surrounded to a point excavating it from a horde would be more costly...  

More to this point.... There was another zombie game (forgot which one because they all suck compared to PZ)  LOL

Any rate, this game had a feature where zombies were able to cling to the vehicle, thereby continuing to batter on it even as you drive...  A very serious negative attribute to any such exterior augmentation be it armor, roof rack, or light bar.... could be that zombies can cling to the vehicle at a higher frequency than perhaps the one that ends up on the hood for a brief moment until you turn...

@naskO

Normal (home depot) steel would be pretty useless vs. anything coming out of a centerfire rifle.

AR500 steel however might be worth investigating... This stuff is like magic and you can get it on Ebay/Amazon!!!

If "SHTF" #12 on my to do list, just after filling the bathtub with water would be to arrange a simple hanger for a silhouette target behind my driver seat to protect vitals vs. gunfire from behind when I go on looting runs...

Edited by Arsenal26
I can't spell

16 minutes ago, Arsenal26 said:

AR500 steel however might be worth investigating... This stuff is like magic and you can get it on Ebay/Amazon!!!

There is a more local source for AR500, mainly the target range and gunshops, as this is the same steel used in steel targets. That being said, 1/4" thick AR500 is rated for pistol calibers and weighs 10lbs per square foot. 3/8" (7.62/.308 rated) weighs in at just over 15lbs per square foot. By the time you protect your civilian vehicle with enough of it to be effective, its going to be moving slow enough that guy with a rifle can take a nice precision shot through your window, making the entire thing pointless. Not to mention the heat applied by welding and shaping the steel to fit will change the hardness properties.

As is, the entire debate is premature, the devs were merely looking at the possibility of additional enhancements to vehicles. The game does not place a strong enough emphasis on firearms to make such a feature overly worthwhile (especially for single player, where no one is shooting at you)  and not all servers would want that kind of features. Such a thing is probably best left to mods people can use or ignore as they see fit.

I suggest appling Cruise control to car's. Now it's easy to have accident, and cruise control was popular in US in 70's. It would be great to see some rare car's with this option. But I think that rebuilding the power system in the game would be great. Even with alternate power supply options and transformers for player redirection. (Even with the possibility of destroying the transformer to cut the area from the electricity)

Ref to Wiki

"Following the 1973 oil crisis and rising fuel prices, the device became more popular in the U.S.[8] "Cruise control can save gas by avoiding surges that expel fuel" while driving at steady speeds.[8] In 1974, AMC, GM, and Chrysler priced the option at $60 to $70, while Ford charged $103."

I'd like to see several options available for upgrading cars. For instance, when adding some protection to the window you could weld metal bars over the windows. You could weld on part of a chain link fence. You could weld on metal plates with slits cut out for limited visibility. You could weld on a slatted frame. You could even go cheap and just put some plywood with slits cut out of it for visibility. Give people several choices for each part, each with pros and cons. Unfortunately most of my ideas seem to involve a lot of extra work for developers and this one isn't any different. What I like to see and what the developers are capable of doing with their current resources aren't usually in the same ballpark. That doesn't stop me from dreaming though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 8:11 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

You're taking 3-400 words to say very simple things and digging in your heels for some reason.

Please, some brevity.

What the heck man, let the guy post.
Please, some apologies.

Also cars are cool.
Too bad 'bout the global warming eh.

Edited by Insidiousness
Also cars are cool.