[Version 40.9]The problem with zombies in multiplayer

XPiriT

That's more like how it was in previous versions, I think. We found a problem where player-generated sounds weren't heard from the same distance as they were in previous versions and fixed it.

Remember, in multiplayer, a much larger area of the map can exist on the server than the 50 x 50 area in SP. It means zombies can move more naturally and continue in one direction (the memory setting) for a longer time. In SP, they're unloaded, turn into a virtual group, and continue moving until getting nearer to the player's area again. 

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

That's more like how it was in previous versions, I think. We found a problem where player-generated sounds weren't heard from the same distance as they were in previous versions and fixed it.

Remember, in multiplayer, a much larger area of the map can exist on the server than the 50 x 50 area in SP. It means zombies can move more naturally and continue in one direction (the memory setting) for a longer time. In SP, they're unloaded, turn into a virtual group, and continue moving until getting nearer to the player's area again. 

Zombies have GPS in the brain. They go to the player and change their way even without seeing, not hearing, not feeling.

More videos

3 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

I'm pretty certain the difference between the two versions is 39 includes an unintended bug that reduces sound radiuses to a very small area. Build 40 fixes this, though it'd certainly take some getting used to if you're new to the game. 

So will the devs fix this or nah?

My friend and I are having this exact same problem on our server after the weather update dropped. Sneaking doesn't help. Zombies on the edge of the screen will unerringly turn towards you and start coming after you. A zombie moaning actually causes the other zombies to start moving in groups in the same direction the sound came from. My friend had to log out because he was being chased by around 100 zombies. They were gone when he came back on, but the same thing started happening again two days ago. My character actually got bit with the 30-40 zombies that chasing us like we bathed in zombie attracting pheromones. (Still need to see if I survive. ;P) Going through trees, cutting line of sight, etc. does not help. We won't get to test this new patch until Saturday evening to see if it fixed the problem, unfortunately. If we need to, I'll have him post the file as well. Just wanted to let you know you weren't the only one with this issue.

Edited by Cyllyn

I'm running into the same issue, on 40.11, 100% default settings (The only change is a static spawn point so my bro and I can start together). Zombies seemingly never lose track of you after the first sighting. I kited 20-30 out of the yard of my starting house, ran 4 blocks, cutting through trees, houses, jumping fences, taking sharp turns around corners, sneaking 90% of the time, AND my profession was burglar. I made my way back to the house I started in without pulling any additional zombies, started rummaging around, organizing what I had, feeling satisfied that I had kited so many zombies despite the obvious increase in difficulty. Then, quite literally five entire minutes later, there is the same horde of 20-30 zombies that I had originally kited away, all grouped up on the front door. As soon as I opened the door, I was dead.

I noticed the difference in behavior literally within 5 seconds of playing. I though "Oh wow they really increased the difficulty! this is fantastic!" And after actually being convinced that I successfully kited that pack of zombies away, only to have them all at my door several in-game hours later, was a huge disappointment. This is a drastic, drastic difference from the last version I played, with was 39.something. 

TL;DR; I have to chime in here and say this is definitely a bug. Either that or the zombie tracking was balanced around a previously bugged version, and the bug fix broke the balance.

Edited by reasonpolice

I have had this exact same issue.  I cant tell if it happens 100% of the time, but I have had multiple situations where I have attracted the attention of dozens of zombies at a time when I don't have the strength to fight them effectively and have run.  No matter how far I go, or how many obstacles are between us, or how often I break line of sight, it was only a matter of time before those zombies tracked me down, even when I ran across half of Muldraugh.  Sneaking, walking, running, nothing seemed to matter, and I only ended up attracting move of them, until a whole herd was following me.  I eventually got enough breathing space to log out and back in, and the herd seemed to disperse (this was at the same time the weather patch was integrated so I logged in surrounded by fog), and I was able to make it to my safehouse and recover, but I believe the zombies I passed on my way there also following me unerringly back to my house, as I woke up to find one banging away at a barricaded window.  And this was the second layer of walls they would have to have broken through to get that close to me!

This has happened to me and my friend to it's seems to be at it's worst when a house alarm goes off. It's when a lot of zombies agro on to you the get stuck aggroing to you.  I tried to leach off my friend aggroed Zed's, grab a couple, lead them away but when they loose interest in me, they lock on to my friend who is already on the other side of town. Sadly plays.tv didn't record the senario. We usually burn them off but pretty difficult since the longer it last the more zombies get stuck to you. We'd do this more then once and it got pretty annoying. We once took a hoard 30+ half way to West point from Muldride, run back to Bob and Kate's house and in 4-7 minutes they would come from back for us trapped us on the second floor and we died.

It's really feels like they are perminently stuck aggroing at least one of us just always walking towards one of us.

4 hours ago, Derbypoo said:

This has happened to me and my friend to it's seems to be at it's worst when a house alarm goes off. It's when a lot of zombies agro on to you the get stuck aggroing to you.  I tried to leach off my friend aggroed Zed's, grab a couple, lead them away but when they loose interest in me, they lock on to my friend who is already on the other side of town. Sadly plays.tv didn't record the senario. We usually burn them off but pretty difficult since the longer it last the more zombies get stuck to you. We'd do this more then once and it got pretty annoying. We once took a hoard 30+ half way to West point from Muldride, run back to Bob and Kate's house and in 4-7 minutes they would come from back for us trapped us on the second floor and we died.

It's really feels like they are perminently stuck aggroing at least one of us just always walking towards one of us.

That's an interesting idea -- the sound seemingly getting stuck on the player. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yay, thanks for fixing this so fast. My friend and I lost a character each to this bug. Goodbye telepathic, terminator zombies! Now we just have to worry about regular ones being attracted to radios, groups of fast ones darting towards us all at once, deceptive crawler zombies pretending to be bodies, etc. You know, the usual. :D