[Version 40.9]Problem with trunk

XPiriT

Just now, XPiriT said:

Without mods.

The only other thing I can think off is that the trunk is broken, did you check the condition of the vehicle?  Although I doubt it's broken considering the car looks in perfect condition. Plus I'm not sure if the sound would play or show that green box if it were broken. Can't think of much else, may very well be a bug with this version of the game but I haven't had it happen to me to be able to confirm or reproduce it.

40 minutes ago, MadDan2013 said:

The only other thing I can think off is that the trunk is broken, did you check the condition of the vehicle?  Although I doubt it's broken considering the car looks in perfect condition. Plus I'm not sure if the sound would play or show that green box if it were broken. Can't think of much else, may very well be a bug with this version of the game but I haven't had it happen to me to be able to confirm or reproduce it.

Here is the same problem.  My trunk is not broken.

Edited by XPiriT

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that, even when close enough to open the trunk, sometimes I need to move sideways (i.e. to the left or right, facing in the direction of the vehicle) before the trunk appears in the lootable container menu.  It appears that the loot trunk hitbox is smaller than the green square in which you can unlock it.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue in version 40.31 with a Chevelier Step Van. Vehicle is in tip-top shape and hasn't received any zombie damage. The trunk has been working fine after multiple loading of the save file, but today decided it didn't want to work. Slightly frustrating.

This is caused by the new "hitboxes" that they added (invisible walls around vehicles) and usually occurs when approaching the vehicle from the top of screen (W, NW, N) because the invisible wall stretches quite far at that side for some reason. The invisible wall won't allow you to get close enough to see into the trunk even though you are still able to open/close and lock/unlock.

If you park the vehicle so that you access the trunk from the bottom of the screen then you should have no problem getting in. In the case of your screenshot just turn the vehicle around 180 degrees and you should be fine accessing the trunk from East side.

Edited by moriak
minor edits