40.26 UPDATE: Speed demon and Sunday driver perks fuel economy & suggestions

Geras

Speed demon (previously Road rage) and Sunday driver perks fuel economy tests & suggestion.

40.26 UPDATE:

New test.

Same car, same distance, same conditions.

1. No perks still best.

2. Speed demon +5.94% fuel consumption compared to no perk. Still sucks as a positive perk, but it's not as bad as before.

3. Sunday driver +105.38% fuel consumption compared to no perk. Avoid.

Bonus:

4. Idling fuel consumption seems not to be affected by perks.

Proof of test:

(I repaired the car to 100% before each test with Cheat Menu)

https://imgur.com/a/2wO1cpu

SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT:

Sunday driver

1. Under any circumstance this should be just a meagre +1 perk. It's at least a +3. Fuel's finite, yo & driving so slow sucks a lot.

1a. Keep it as a +1 but ditch the increased fuel usage.

2. Separate the perk into 2 new mutually exclusive perks: Learner driver and Slow driver.

Learner driver +3

You're a inexperienced driver and you don't drive fast.

You drive inefficiently.

Max speed 30 mph

+105.38% fuel consumption

Mutually exclusive with Economical driver and Experienced driver (see below).

So basically what Sunday driver does now. You still might consider toning the fuel consumption to a less severe level, i.e. +25%

Slow driver +1

You know that slow but steady wins the race.

Max speed 30 mph

Fuel consumption not affected.

Speed demon 

1. A positive perk should not have a negative effect (increased fuel consumption).

2. Driving so fast constantly is actually annoying and dangerous, only resulting in releasing "W" key more often and listening to unpleasant revving engine audio.

3. Also, when driving 120 mph you only get the game to micro stutter when loading the map ahead (I have PZ installed on SSD) so, yeah, top speed increase is not the way to go imo.

4. Engines do not spin up to 5000 RPM in an instant after starting :) In-game it works OK when engine is already running, tough (it takes a short moment to get to 5000 RPM).

5. Split the perk into 2 new mutually exclusive perks:

Experienced driver -3

You know how to handle a car.

Fuel consumption -25%

Slower degradation of all vehicle parts when driving.

Economical driver -1

You know how to drive efficiently.

Fuel consumption -15%

It would be OK to take Slow driver with Experienced driver or Economical driver.

Old tests:

Since with Road rage we basically drive with pedal to the metal I though that it actually would be bad for fuel economy even though it's a positive perk. That would make it a terrible choice because fuel is finite in the world.

I started two sandbox games, one with Road rage and the other with Sunday driver. I ticked an option for cars to be in high general condition to even out the results (I don't even know if car condition affects fuel consumption).

I chose the same car model and filled them up with the same amount of fuel (10 units, which equals to 1 fuel can), and drove along the same road back and forth to see how far I will go.

Results:

qnwfUqo.jpg

In case the graphic is not very clear to understand:

1. No perks - best fuel economy - 1 gas can took my big van for about 3.5 lengths along the highway.

2. Road rage - second to worst fuel economy - 1 gas can took my big van for about 2 and maybe 1./5 lengths along the highway.

3. Sunday driver - worst fuel economy - 1 gas can would take my big van only for about 2 lengths along the highway (guesstimate).

Road rage is truly a positive perk and seems to have better fuel economy compared to Sunday driver.

Only con in annoying revving and noise for the player, but that can be adjusted in new volume options.

UPDATED TLDR;

Road rage and Sunday driver are terrible for fuel economy, with Sunday driver being the worst of all.

You can get almost twice the mileage with no perks compared to Sunday driver.

Edited by Geras

21 minutes ago, Geras said:

Road rage is truly a positive perk and seems to have better fuel economy compared to Sunday driver.

Only con in annoying revving and noise for the player, but that can be adjusted in new volume options.

I wouldn't be so sure. It's the only perk id class as "neutral." It is not entirely bad but I would not classify road rage as a positive attribute. If anything this perk is like having guns in the game, its the equivalent of an idiot trap. Is it worth going 90 mph in 4 seconds and screaming down a road only to slam straight into a pileup or a tree and getting gravely injured?

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I did another test without perks - results are in updated OP.

TLDR;

Perks are terrible for fuel economy, do not use.

Sunday driver is the worst.

Road rage is second worst, just a little bit better than Sunday driver.

No perks is best, close to twice the mileage compared to Sunday driver.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, josko_91 said:

Sunday driver should be atleast a +6 , driving slow sucks, making cars almost useless, and the increased fuel consumption even worse, no way should this be a +1

Yeah, this or make it 40-45 mph instead of 30 mph.