Cold weather moodles and warmth - FEEDBACK & SUGGESTIONS

Geras

Hi guys,

I've started a new IWBUMS 40.9 playthrough using 6 months later scenario and I have some feedback and suggestions about cold weather & cold moodles and getting warm. I'll try to keep it simple and to the point.

Feedback: It feels really strange that I'm dying (losing health) at positive temperatures (around 0.5 degrees Celsius - measured by car thermometer).

Suggestion: We shouldn't be losing health at positive temperatures. At least not when fed and quenched.

Feedback: It feels almost impossible to get warm from a campfire. I put a campfire inside a warehouse (building interior gives temperature boost and I had one green chevron on my cold weather moodle - see screenshot below). The building was ON FIRE inside, as some burning zombies set it ablaze (side note: concrete floor inside a warehouse burns extremely well). I started a fire with some zed clothing and 3 or 4 planks. I stood next to it for over 2 in-game hours and got only slightly warmer (1 or 2 moodles up), despite having 3 green chevrons on my coldness moodle and a sweater. My character didn't get warm. Campfire died out while I was still on the mildest level of cold moodle.

Suggestion: Well-lit campfire (at least 3-4 planks or a log) should quickly warm us up to the point of hot temperature moodles appearing depending on campfire temperature. Warming up shouldn't take longer than 1 in-game hour in extreme cases. Especially not in temperatures close to 0 degrees Celsius, where it should take maybe 20 minutes maximum.

mhwVeJE.jpg

Feedback: I also tried the new extreme-cold-weather-challenge scenario and I didn't even last more than 2 nights. I had a campfire going inside a building, well-lit with 4 or 5 logs and a chair put up right next to it. My character was at that point in hypothermia, I slept the entire night (about 6-7 hours) on that chair with my feet literally in the fire and I went up maybe 1 or 2 cold moodles. That is extreme. The chair burned, by the way xd. The fire was already dead when I woke up.

Suggestion: As in suggestion above, warming up should happen much faster. Logs should burn longer. Perhaps 1 log = 2 hours of fire? So 4 or 5 logs would get you through the night. Outdoorsman perk should give a detailed description of how much time  you have until fire goes out. Without the perk we should get a rough estimate, i.e. 3-6 hours, 1-3 hours, more than 12 hours, etc.

Feedback: It feels unnatural that a character doesn't get warm from physical exercise: walking, sprinting, shoving & stomping zombies, swinging weapons, etc.

Suggestion: Physical activity should work towards warming up. I used to jog in -10/-15 degrees Celsius in nothing more than a set of breathable long johns, breathable long-sleeved shirt, tracksuit pants, breathable cycling shirt, a fleece hat, light scarf, gloves, 2 sets of normal socks and running shoes and I was sweating-warm.

Feedback: I found it strange that while my character was barely able to move because of the cold while zombies were almost happily prancing about doing circles around me and calling me names.

Suggestion: Ok, maybe that's not exactly what happened, but cold should finally start affecting zombie moving speed, effectively slowing them down in sub-zero Celsius temperatures. The colder it gets the slower the zombies should get. We could nullify zombie-speed-penalty for zombies on fire for the lolz of it. Slow shamblers could also be upgraded to fast shamblers in hot temperatures.

Suggestion: Burning zombies should be a heat source. For realism :) I'm not sure if burning map tiles are a heat source either. Worth taking a look at that as well.

EDIT: some details and stuff.

EDIT: slow shamblers upgrade to fast shamblers in hot weather

On 8/27/2018 at 9:42 PM, Geras said:

We could nullify zombie-speed-penalty for zombies on fire for the lolz of it. Slow shamblers could also be upgraded to fast shamblers in hot temperatures.

No more room in hell has something where zombies lit on fire will turn into sprinters for a very brief amount of time (around 5 or 10 seconds i think?) before dropping dead. its always fun to see new players throw a molotov into a crowd and then get quickly overwhelmed and die lol. it would prob be a fun addition although it should be brief :D

Archived