Development Direction.

Øathbetrayer

This game has basically added vehicles since the last time I played a year ago, why is everything taking so long? I can still walk through kitchen counter tops and solid objects.

There are no ways to roof your house with low end shingles. No built in map editor. No servers to host off of(I don't mean running a server from your personal computer), I mean subscription based. My crowbar is a baseball bat still.

We really need a simple way to edit lua files without you know...editing lua files(people cannot join your server once edited, matching issues).

Will this game EVER be a full release? It also needs to be marketed once actually fixed.

25 minutes ago, Øathbetrayer said:

No servers to host off of

Not sure what your getting at here, you can rent a server from a number of different hosts. There are dedicated game hosting services that will install and host zomboid for you. There are also VPS providers you can install PZ on yourself and host it. None of the bigger PZ servers that exist now host from their own personal computer. They're all paid for by various providers. We rent our VPS from OVH and run our PZ server from there. Its not for TIS to provide such a service, they're a game development company not a hosting provider.

29 minutes ago, Øathbetrayer said:

We really need a simple way to edit lua files without you know...editing lua files(people cannot join your server once edited, matching issues).

Again, not quite sure what your getting at, theres reasons for the checksum mismatching, mainly cheat prevention. If you need to edit something for personal use, but don't want to have that checksum error, simply turn it into a mod and the problem is solved.

There are three people logged into the forums right now.  Take a wild guess at what kind of development budget this game has.  It's a super niche game.   I don't know what you experienced with multiplayer but you're super wrong about that.  There's been servers for rent for a long time.  And editing lua files for multiplayer is going to cause a cascade of errors. If you wanted to cheat you can just edit your save info.  Joining a server with mismatched files causes much worse things to happen.

I share your frustration and have been the one saying this myself but I know it won't help or change anything to say it.  Its cathartic to call out how bad Indie Stones project management is but it doesn't help.

I can still walk through kitchen counter tops and solid objects

This is normal, it's to allow you and zombies to climb through windows else you would be stuck inside those solid objects

There are no ways to roof your house with low end shingles.

You have to build a stair to make a roof which is kinda normal

My crowbar is a baseball bat still.

They're currently working on new animations so it would be a waste of time to create a new skin now when in probably few months it'll be replaced.

And since vehicles there is a lot of stuff they've worked on, see by yourself: https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24407-released-iwbums-build-409/

1 hour ago, jamesorbe0 said:

Thats what i said 2 years ago

Still a waste of time for something that'll be tossed out. You could just use a mod, if it's thst important to you, but I suspect if it bothers someone that badly then we'll just keep moving down a list of near-infinite issues.

There's still a ton to do, as is.

I'm just trying to nudge them into not being in Alpha/Beta Purgatory, I really enjoy this game and want it to succeed. Constructive Criticism.

Wood flooring is not a roof.

As for the Mod thing, I don't do Mods because I don't think we should have to make Mods for what we want...plus they also create compatibility issues and mod updates.

When I host from a company, I have to constantly make tickets for them to edit the lua files. It's all just a hassle.

I'd pay $60 for this game if it was polished and complete, it's missing SO much still.

35 minutes ago, Øathbetrayer said:

When I host from a company, I have to constantly make tickets for them to edit the lua files.

That entirely depends on the hosting company. Any hoster that made me contact them to do anything similar would lose my business FAST. Try renting a VPS, you'll have full control, and be responsible for everything from installing to maintaining. I won't settle for anything less then complete root access to our servers.

If thats too much work, theres also other hosters out there that will do the base install and give you ftp access to the config files, logs, server files and everything else you need. Just need to shop around a bit and find out sort of access the provider will give you.

40 minutes ago, Øathbetrayer said:

I don't do Mods because I don't think we should have to make Mods for what we want.

If your editing the Lua you're modding the game anyways. The only difference is your directly modding the files themselves instead of putting it in a nice little package that you can activate/deactivate at will. Its a FAR more efficient system then directly modifying the games Lua, theres no compatibility issues doing it in a actual mod then doing it directly on the game files, since its the exact same thing (code wise).  You also have the advantage of not having your work wiped out when PZ updates those files.

1 hour ago, Øathbetrayer said:

I'm just trying to nudge them into not being in Alpha/Beta Purgatory, I really enjoy this game and want it to succeed. Constructive Criticism.

You can nudge them out of being slow and steady in the same way you can tell someone with no legs to get up. They aren't slow because they want to be slow.

Their issue is they spread their small team thin.

They need alot more people on the mapmaking because that is one of the forsure things they can do now to keep the game fresh.

As I recall its either one or two guys working the Anims, while the rest of the team continues to iron out bugs, ofcourse their feature creep creates alot of new bugs to iron out. everytime they add a set of new objects, changes in zombie behavior and changes in weather its more time to be spent on ironing out the new bugs instead of focusing the majority of the team on the two main core updates that being animation and the map expansion. Hell these new weather updates can present issues with the 3d animations.

but hey maybe not all the team knows how to help in both of those areas.

Archived