40.9 — Rain looks like snow.

Burger_Time

I agree. (Latest IWBUMS)

I love the weather update, but I think some improvements could be made to the visuals. 

@Geras and I suggested some improvements in the IWBUMS thread.

- Fog is far too bright, would be good for it to be closer/a few shades darker than the ambient colour. Right now it feels like you're in a skyscraper when it gets foggy, even at night. It's quite jarring. 

- Snow should be made 'darker' or bolder than rain, as it just looks like a lighter variant of rain. 

Edited by Bejasc

image.pngLittle confused. This is what snow looks like?

The white rain is more of a drizzle, when it's not cold enough to be rain. This rain is being blown by the wind.

image.png

Normal rain seems to be a blue-tinted version of the above.

Ofc, I could be wrong. Maybe the snow's not transitioning naturally in the game, as this is done with the debug panel (shift + backspace, for anyone that wants to try it themselves).

@Bejasc Try turning off shaders in options. Does it look better or worse? What about with them on? (Be sure to press Accept). 

5 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

@Bejasc Try turning off shaders in options. Does it look better or worse? What about with them on? (Be sure to press Accept). 

As far as rain/snow goes, I've not had any qualms with it. Probably because I don't live long enough to see snow :D 

I'm sure that I'm currently running with Shaders set to 'On' unless I missed the option and they are off by default. I'll check tonight and use the weather debug tools and post a few screenshots. 

14 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

So with Shaders _off_, it doesn't really look any better or worse. Fog looks slightly more blue/patchy with them off. But I do have a couple of screenshots.

When fully zoomed out, with precipitation at maximum, you can barely notice any rain at all. Could the effect be made more noticable? 

Here is what max fog looks like during the day time

And here's max fog during night time (pitch black settings)

The snow effect I think looks just right, But the fog is far too white and jarring. 

I realise the other climate values _might_ have some bearing on how the fog looks, but I've had it looking identical to this in natural occurrences (not through using the climate debug panel).

For the night fog, it almost looks as if someone is shining a floodlight directly into the fog, and the light is bouncing around, illuminating the rest of the fog. It shouldn't be illuminated at all, should it?

Even for the daytime fog, the white looks very unnatural. 

6 hours ago, Burger_Time said:

Then I haven't seen a true rain? It have always been like this.

Oh, and I've been a bit wrong. I mean that it's too white IMO, it could be more blue. :)

Yes, do agree there.

9 hours ago, Bejasc said:

When fully zoomed out, with precipitation at maximum, you can barely notice any rain at all. Could the effect be made more noticable? 

Turbo has a fix for missing raindrops. Might be this problem.

• 3 weeks later...

40.16 - fog is still blinding white.

I've also noticed that the cloud cover can make things very dark. Here's a screenshot I took just before 9am. 

unknown.png

Not tired at all, normal darkness, no injuries. The red tint is very strong (what is it for?). Car lights are not on (though they don't work anyway - there's no illumination of anything anymore, separate issue).

@EnigmaGrey is it possible the weather effects could be toned down a little? I think the 40.16 rain is perfect, but the fog, clouds, and colour change are way too strong. 

Reply from @EnigmaGrey on Discord

I don't really have anything to add. Fog during the day being bright is kind of . . . just the way it is. Lights being dim at night probably won't be a problem in the next IWBUMS, but it'll end up meaning nights are brighter with shaders . . .

The way it works is the shader's applied to the full screen . . . so we get to choose between bright fog and normal lighting or dim fog and dim lighting. It's fun.

(It's not fun.)

Could just turn the brightness setting down your monitor if it's overwhelming. Obviously I'd prefer if the game let us set gamma.

I see it as more of a matter of taste and patience. You can walk out from under the black cloud, for example. It's rare and it's not fixed.

Likewise, whether a foggy / snowy day blinds you is going to have a ton to do with your perception of your monitor's brightness.

That itself has been a problem since the game got weather. Winter is murdering to the eyes on a bright screen.

Looks like we might just have to put up with Shaders turned off (and miss out on the nicer looking effects of weather) :/ 

Edit; This conversation is continued in Discord. Link to discussion

Edited by Bejasc