How to create new vehicle mods

RingoD123

47 minutes ago, ZaBrat said:

Plz, help

OK, just spoke to Captain Binky who created the converter, he's going to look into this for you and try and figure out what is causing this. Most obvious possibility at the moment is that it could be something to do with non English native language in Windows.

Either myself or Captain Binky will let you know when we have more info or possible fix, in the meantime if you know anyone with an English version of Windows they should be able to convert your .ply for you.

In the meantime you could double check that your Anti Virus isn't blocking it by adding an exception for the .exe in your AV program.

You could also try enabling "run in administrator mode" for the exe or even moving the folder to the root of your c:\ for example.

38 minutes ago, RingoD123 said:

OK, just spoke to Captain Binky who created the converter, he's going to look into this for you and try and figure out what is causing this. Most obvious possibility at the moment is that it could be something to do with non English native language in Windows.

Either myself or Captain Binky will let you know when we have more info or possible fix, in the meantime if you know anyone with an English version of Windows they should be able to convert your .ply for you.

In the meantime you could double check that your Anti Virus isn't blocking it by adding an exception for the .exe in your AV program.

You could also try enabling "run in administrator mode" for the exe or even moving the folder to the root of your c:\ for example.

@ZaBrat

I've attached a version of the tool with more debug output to try and see where this is going wrong. Can you try exporting using this version and copy&paste the console output here please?

PZ_PLYtoPZconverter.zip

52 minutes ago, RingoD123 said:

Once you have your correct orientation you will then need to edit your shell texture and or mask to get your texture applied to the correct parts.

I will say though that that orientation still looks off to me, unless the right side of your vehicle has a different shape to the left, as for the gui names, dont worry about that just yet.

I've made the mask way better and it still looks terrible. I can see the specific features but the texture of the underneath is somehow on the top, etc.

Vehicle_MilitaryHumvee_Mask.png

Just now, Harra said:

I've made the mask way better and it still looks terrible. I can see the specific features but the texture of the underneath is somehow on the top, etc.

Vehicle_MilitaryHumvee_Mask.png

All I can suggest is that you look at other vehicle mods or vanilla vehicle files to help you.

1 minute ago, RingoD123 said:

All I can suggest is that you look at other vehicle mods or vanilla vehicle files to help you.

How do I get the vanilla vehicle models into blender seeing as they're txt files now?

2 hours ago, Harra said:

Someone said they used vanilla models to compare scale.

They may have, but like I've said i'm not a modeller so I don't know, but you shouldn't need to do that, looking at their mask and shell texture (possibly with an in game picture to reference too) should be all you need. But really, at this point it going to be trial and error for you to get your mask and shell correct for the look of your vehicle.

One thing I would suggest would be to lay out your shell and mask like the vanilla vehicles with an entire side of your vehicle together etc, using the different UV unwraps in blender to get a shell texture that is as close as possible to one of the vanilla vehicle textures should make things a lot easier.

49 minutes ago, ZaBrat said:

Hi @ZaBrat,

Heh. I'm guessing in your country, you would write a float in the format 1,00000 rather than 1.00000?

Try this version of the tool - I've not ever had to deal with supporting multiple language formats in code before so I'm not entirely sure I've done this correctly but give it a go, see what happens. Thanks :)

PZ_PLYtoPZconverter.zip

35 minutes ago, CaptainBinky said:

Hi ZaBrat,

Heh. I'm guessing in your country, you would write a float in the format 1,00000 rather than 1.00000?

Try this version of the tool - I've not ever had to deal with supporting multiple language formats in code before so I'm not entirely sure I've done this correctly but give it a go, see what happens. Thanks :)

PZ_PLYtoPZconverter.zip

>Heh. I'm guessing in your country, you would write a float in the format 1,00000 rather than 1.00000?
 Actually so. That what I've got:

testObject.txtimage.thumb.png.0bf470e534a71731700f73a23619cf3d.png
Thank you very much.  :)

Edited by ZaBrat

4 hours ago, Harra said:

Someone said they used vanilla models to compare scale.

Hey dude, it looks like you might need to play with the UV in blender. You can also export it to get a template for your texture, too. Look up sone tutorials on uv in blender. If you need any help, feel free to pm me. I'm at work right now, but can show ya how when I get home. Good luck!

My car doesn't spawn, so I decided to compare my model with example from the RingoD123's guide, but

something wrong, when I'm trying to import txt file of my converted model. Although, the model from the Zaz968 mod is loading normally. And talking about 1,0 or 1.0 form, we all the same use 1.0 in pcimage.thumb.png.116b93c39ee93a505f49b5c46eb63d3d.png

Edited by ZaBrat

8 hours ago, ZaBrat said:

My car doesn't spawn, so I decided to compare my model with example from the RingoD123's guide, but

something wrong, when I'm trying to import txt file of my converted model. Although, the model from the Zaz968 mod is loading normally. And talking about 1,0 or 1.0 form, we all the same use 1.0 in pc

Oops - my fault. I fixed the loading of numbers in the "1,0000" format but completely forgot about when writing them out too, and completely failed to notice in the text file you provided :shock:. Try this version of the converter:

PZ_PLYtoPZconverter.zip

20 minutes ago, CaptainBinky said:

Oops - my fault. I fixed the loading of numbers in the "1,0000" format but completely forgot about when writing them out too, and completely failed to notice in the text file you provided :shock:. Try this version of the converter:

PZ_PLYtoPZconverter.zip

OH Lookining good,  and it's working. Thanks you really great :) image.png.1ebd818d7cdcd889dae1a4958d5811f7.png

23 hours ago, FilibusterRhymes said:

Hey dude, it looks like you might need to play with the UV in blender. You can also export it to get a template for your texture, too. Look up sone tutorials on uv in blender. If you need any help, feel free to pm me. I'm at work right now, but can show ya how when I get home. Good luck!

I've worked with UV's before, I don't want to move them as it'll make me have to redo them all over. I haven't got time. The problem isn't with my UV's either.

41 minutes ago, Harra said:

I've worked with UV's before, I don't want to move them as it'll make me have to redo them all over. I haven't got time. The problem isn't with my UV's either.

I got ya. Would you mind uploading the model file or at least taking a picture of what it looks like in blender?

Edited by FilibusterRhymes

1 hour ago, Harra said:

How did you get it to work? The structure of that vehicle actually works compared to mine.

20180830152735_1.jpg

First I would try smaller scales with that rotation, it looks like part of your model might be getting cut off due to the scale, a bit like how it was showing as a large square texture before you dropped it to 1.0 from 2.15

In this picture which was taken with the earlier version of your mod before you changed the rotations I had just set the scale in the script to 0.5, as Filibuster said it's probably best to edit the scale in blender otherwise you might have problems with wheels. But as you can see in the picture the whole "shape" of the model is being shown when at that scale:

humvee.jpg

Filibuster might be able to advise you better about your models size/scale in blender but I would start by making your model 4x smaller than it's original size in Blender and then putting the scale in the script back to 2.15, after judging how that looks you should have a much better idea of what scale/size to use in blender.

3 hours ago, FilibusterRhymes said:

I got ya. Would you mind uploading the model file or at least taking a picture of what it looks like in blender?

Here ya go (also, would you say I need to split the window parts into another part of the uv sheet instead of allowing it to overlap another part?)

truck.PNG

Edited by Harra

2 hours ago, RingoD123 said:

First I would try smaller scales with that rotation, it looks like part of your model might be getting cut off due to the scale, a bit like how it was showing as a large square texture before you dropped it to 1.0 from 2.15

In this picture which was taken with the earlier version of your mod before you changed the rotations I had just set the scale in the script to 0.5, as Filibuster said it's probably best to edit the scale in blender otherwise you might have problems with wheels. But as you can see in the picture the whole "shape" of the model is being shown when at that scale:

humvee.jpg

Filibuster might be able to advise you better about your models size/scale in blender but I would start by making your model 4x smaller than it's original size in Blender and then putting the scale in the script back to 2.15, after judging how that looks you should have a much better idea of what scale/size to use in blender.

I got the size correct by following your instructions. Unfortunately fog was filling my game haha.

Now the texture is needing work and i'll have to move the wheels with the script.

Any further tips?

20180831235341_1.jpg

11 minutes ago, Harra said:

I got the size correct by following your instructions. Unfortunately fog was filling my game haha.

Now the texture is needing work and i'll have to move the wheels with the script.

Any further tips?

20180831235341_1.jpg

Cool, looking much better.

That's it from me, pretty sure your texture issue is most likely caused by your UV's and/or shell texture as FilibusterRymes pointed out, bare in mind, he already has working vehicle mods on Steam Workshop.

29 minutes ago, RingoD123 said:

Cool, looking much better.

That's it from me, pretty sure your texture issue is most likely caused by your UV's and/or shell texture as FilibusterRymes pointed out, bare in mind, he already has working vehicle mods on Steam Workshop.

When I change the wheel script, what axis layout is it? x,y,z?              image.png.4a80929dfdceea0020c528b2e33ebe67.png

6 minutes ago, Harra said:

When I change the wheel script, what axis layout is it? x,y,z?              image.png.4a80929dfdceea0020c528b2e33ebe67.png

Yep, 1st number is how far to the left or right of the centre of the vehicle the wheel is (positive is left, negative to the right), 2nd number is height and 3rd number is how far to the front or back from the centre of the vehicle (positive being towards the front and negative being towards the rear).