RELEASED: IWBUMS Build 40.18

Batsphinx

The current IWBUMS version is WAY TOO DARK.

First screenshot is the recent IWBUMS build (40.18), the second screenshot is the public release version (39.67.5). I have the CatEyes perk in both screenshots, and it's a single player sandbox game. There aren't any weather effects, so the darkness is not due to snow/fog/rain.

Since there isn't a gamma control, this actually makes the game unplayable for me.

Shin

Spoiler

180924-Lightinga.thumb.jpg.593a9f8235c74cebad9ec040fadcc55b.jpg

Spoiler

180924-Lighting2a.thumb.jpg.a760962a9a783d55dedca656d4bf10bb.jpg

Edited by Shinjitsu noDeshi

16 minutes ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

First screenshot is the recent IWBUMS build (40.18), the second screenshot is the public release version (39.67.5). I have the CatEyes perk in both screenshots, and it's a single player sandbox game. There aren't any weather effects, so the darkness is not due to snow/fog/rain.

Since there isn't a gamma control, this actually makes the game unplayable for me.

Shin

regarding weather effects there are cloud effects now, so even though it might not be raining or snowing, it could be overcast.

38 minutes ago, thejoker954 said:

regarding weather effects there are cloud effects now, so even though it might not be raining or snowing, it could be overcast.

Oh I didn't realize that.

Even so, it should be bright inside buildings with all the lights on, but they are still pretty dark. Like I said, for me, it's too dark. My old eyes don't deal with dark palettes like they used to...

Shin

10 hours ago, Batsphinx said:

Nah, it's just a quick update on the beta in readiness for a Midweek Community Megatest

Teleport command is borked.  Doesn't work via the command screen or using /teleport "player 1" "player 2" . It just brings up the instructions on the command

Same for spawning vehicle command.

10 hours ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

Shin

Reveal hidden contents

180924-Lightinga.thumb.jpg.593a9f8235c74cebad9ec040fadcc55b.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

180924-Lighting2a.thumb.jpg.a760962a9a783d55dedca656d4bf10bb.jpg

It's 2am. It's intended to be like that.

9 hours ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

It's intended to be significantly darker than prior versions? I didn't see that in the patch notes... Is darkness supposed to cover well lit indoor rooms too?

Shin

9 hours ago, Burger_Time said:

It's 2am. It's intended to be like that.

It's not necessarily intended. The issue is that lights just don't illuminate like they used to anymore. You'll notice that car lights and flashlight are the same, it appears as if they don't do anything. 

All TIS have said about this is that it's an unfortunate side effect of the new shades. They haven't shown any interest in doing anything about it, as this has been repprted/complained about since the first weather build. 

The only "solution" was to make the whole scene brighter, IIRC. 

Would be really nice to get a proper fix to this. The super bright fog, super dark nights, and non working lights have made it a much less enjoyable experience for me, and the only other input I've had so far is to adjust my monitor brightness..

1 hour ago, Bejasc said:

It's not necessarily intended. The issue is that lights just don't illuminate like they used to anymore. You'll notice that car lights and flashlight are the same, it appears as if they don't do anything. 

All TIS have said about this is that it's an unfortunate side effect of the new shades. They haven't shown any interest in doing anything about it, as this has been repprted/complained about since the first weather build. 

Would be really nice to get a proper fix to this. The super bright fog, super dark nights, and non working lights have made it a much less enjoyable experience for me, and the only other input I've had so far is to adjust my monitor brightness..

Well... that's discouraging to hear. :(

1 hour ago, Bejasc said:

We'll no doubt address the effectiveness of lights at night, but because of the way the game's set up (a shader is applied after the lighting is drawn that sets the tint and ambience of the scene), it's not going to be a simple thing to address without diminishing other aspects of the weather build.

The fog being too bright in rare instances or clouds being too dark is more a matter of personal taste and, in-game, is temporary. Clouds move, fog undulates and dissipates.  Fog at night has been minimized since your complaints and its effects have been toned down a bit. We're otherwise open to balancing and tweaking it as feedback comes in, to a point, with the understanding that this has to eventually be "done," released to a larger audience and may not be everything we want right away, nor perfect.

This ignores that, again, we have no control over what anyone plays the game on and thus they may have to tweak their settings to their taste.

e.x. For me, nights are way too bright. The character's FOV might as well be a flashlight. Some of it's just down to running my 300 nits monitor at full brightness/contrast. Some of it's due to the way PZ operates.  Only the latter do we have control over.

1 minute ago, EnigmaGrey said:

We'll no doubt address the effectiveness of lights at night, but because of the way the game's set up (a shader is applied after the lighting is drawn that sets the tint and ambience of the scene), it's not going to be a simple thing to address without diminishing other aspects of the weather build.

The fog being too bright in rare instances or clouds being too dark is more a matter of personal taste and, in-game, is temporary. Clouds move, fog undulates and dissipates.  Fog at night has been minimized since your complaints and its effects have been toned down a bit. We're otherwise open to balancing and tweaking it as feedback comes in, to a point, with the understanding that this has to eventually be "done," released to a larger audience and may not be everything we want right away, nor perfect.

This ignores that, again, we have no control over what anyone plays the game on and thus they may have to tweak their settings to their taste.

I'm glad to hear this as an official response. Does this mean TIS intends to add a gamma setting? I really hope you aren't asking people to adjust their monitor brightness to compensate for one application...

Could you imagine a developer having to up their brightness on their monitors every time they fired up Eclipse or Visual Studio, and then turn it back down to test their build? ;)

Shin

18 minutes ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

Could you imagine a developer having to up their brightness on their monitors every time they fired up Eclipse or Visual Studio, and then turn it back down to test their build? ;)

For games? Yeah, Most  I've owned don't let you control gamma.  Same thing for being unable to set the DPI of the application in-game, most instead rely on the OS's configuration. 

Adobe/Visual Studio/IntelliJ don't care about the edge cases. They design for a specific target then leave the configuration up to everyone else, like any company selling a product. For years, you had to hack the registry to get increased UI elements in Photoshop, for example.

I'm just glad we're not back in the days manually configuring IRQ addresses just to get games to play MIDI sound.

15 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

For games? Yeah, Most  I've owned don't let you control gamma.  Same thing for being unable to set the DPI of the application in-game, most instead rely on the OS's configuration. 

Adobe/Visual Studio/IntelliJ don't care about the edge cases. They design for a specific target then leave the configuration up to everyone else. For years, you had to hack the registry to get increased UI elements in Photoshop, for example. 

Exactly my point. They assume you have your monitor set to the brightness that's correct for you because they don't change the brightness during use.  PZ does.

The reason you don't have to conduct registry hacks and change IRQ's any more is because it was a crappy user experience. People said "This sucks. Change it." 

Maybe PZ will get the gamma setting dialed in - here's to hoping - but I doubt many people are going to change their monitor brightness for one game when it's set how they like it for every other app. I know I sure won't.

Shin

1 hour ago, Shinjitsu noDeshi said:

Exactly my point. They assume you have your monitor set to the brightness that's correct for you because they don't change the brightness during use.  PZ does.

The reason you don't have to conduct registry hacks and change IRQ's any more is because it was a crappy user experience. People said "This sucks. Change it." 

Maybe PZ will get the gamma setting dialed in - here's to hoping - but I doubt many people are going to change their monitor brightness for one game when it's set how they like it for every other app. I know I sure won't.

Shin

It's not remotely unreasonable to ask one person to adjust their monitor.

2 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

It's not remotely unreasonable to ask one person to adjust their monitor.

It's not just one person who's spoken up about this.

The suggestion I was offered was to manage the monitor brightness as needed. I'd need to be turning it up past 100 during some of the darker weather effects, and turning it down some multitude during some fog effects. 

Playing in a dark room on an IPS monitor, I'd never had any of these sort of issues with any other game or program. 

I don't mean to sound rude, but suggesting managing the monitor brightness is a silly "solution", and a bit of a cop out. 

I appreciate that this is a work in progress, and yes, some visuals will appear differently depnding on hardware, drivers, monitor, and environment. I understand that you will continue to tweak visuals to find  what works best. And you are right, much of this is for personal taste. 

For my personal tastes (and many others I've spoken to), the fog is too bright, and the cloud cover is too dark.  Fog is bot illuminated and glowing back in your face. Cloud cover does not cast a shadow so dark that you can't see the land beneath it. 

I like the new weather effects, although fog and cloud break the atmosphere for me a little. It would be nice to see the maximum values for both capped at about 65% of what they are now. I've played with this in the debut climate panel, and with values around that number, the fog and cloud is already much more attractive. 

1 hour ago, Bejasc said:

It's not just one person who's spoken up about this.

The suggestion I was offered was to manage the monitor brightness as needed. I'd need to be turning it up past 100 during some of the darker weather effects, and turning it down some multitude during some fog effects. 

Playing in a dark room on an IPS monitor, I'd never had any of these sort of issues with any other game or program. 

I don't mean to sound rude, but suggesting managing the monitor brightness is a silly "solution", and a bit of a cop out. 

I appreciate that this is a work in progress, and yes, some visuals will appear differently depnding on hardware, drivers, monitor, and environment. I understand that you will continue to tweak visuals to find  what works best. And you are right, much of this is for personal taste. 

For my personal tastes (and many others I've spoken to), the fog is too bright, and the cloud cover is too dark.  Fog is bot illuminated and glowing back in your face. Cloud cover does not cast a shadow so dark that you can't see the land beneath it. 

I like the new weather effects, although fog and cloud break the atmosphere for me a little. It would be nice to see the maximum values for both capped at about 65% of what they are now. I've played with this in the debut climate panel, and with values around that number, the fog and cloud is already much more attractive. 

Like the "I have to play in survival, I can't play in sandbox that's not how the games meant to be played. Please make survival easier." threads all over again . . . 

We can't control your monitor in any way or tell how it'll behave with the game. 

Your monitor has a brightness setting. you say the game blinds you with its brightness on a dark room, so why not use it?

Now, I can't know your situation. So here's mine: I've had a visual impairment all my life. I have light sensitivity due to a lack of pigment in the back of my eyes.  I'm sitting not a foot and a half from a 38" ultra-widescreen ISP monitor at full blast. 

The fog is nothing: Slack's white background? Opening a Firefox tab without a dark mode? Word? Google Docs? Now that's iridescence. And I really fail to see how PZ could somehow top that. So many programs and websites do not handle themes gracefully.

The fog in the game never gets to that extent. It moves, it undulates, it's transparent. Unless you set it purposefully to 1, you'll probably never see a fully opaque fog. If you had in the past (at night), then I understand the concern, but we've already addressed that, as said several times.

Just tossing in my $0.02

I gotta side with TEAM #TooFockinDark

This new Shady Overcast Darkness range does appear to have gone Full-Retard.... and everyone knows, we should never push the darkness to such a level... I mean the darkness is like 15 times more dangerous than Zombies ever were...

To clarify...

IMO, normal rain.... like "Non-Hurricane-of-the-Century" rain clouds should not blot out the sun in the middle of the day making it impossible to see the vehicle you're sitting in...  At night... Oh yeah, game on.... blot all that stuff out !!!   That's why night time sucks during zombie apocalypse...

Another example : mid-morning.... raining.... no thunder, no lightning... just regular every day type rain should not involve fog of war system and near blacked out screen 60% of the time...  

It's great to see the capabilities of the weather system but I can't help but feel it's completely taken over the game and we're being pounded relentlessly with the full might and power of some great force that is not nature...

Edited by Arsenal26
clarify

middle of July - massive storm that lasted 3 days. 

was dark for 3 days.  that deosnt really happen in real life - i mean the darkness. 

unless the darkness is supposed to represent that you cant see far in the rain.  but you cant see that far anyway. 

oh and the dead z's also change the floor tile if you take their clothes.

4 hours ago, Arsenal26 said:

Just tossing in my $0.02

I gotta side with TEAM #TooFockinDark

This new Shady Overcast Darkness range does appear to have gone Full-Retard.... and everyone knows, we should never push the darkness to such a level... I mean the darkness is like 15 times more dangerous than Zombies ever were...

To clarify...

IMO, normal rain.... like "Non-Hurricane-of-the-Century" rain clouds should not blot out the sun in the middle of the day making it impossible to see the vehicle you're sitting in...  At night... Oh yeah, game on.... blot all that stuff out !!!   That's why night time sucks during zombie apocalypse...

Another example : mid-morning.... raining.... no thunder, no lightning... just regular every day type rain should not involve fog of war system and near blacked out screen 60% of the time...  

It's great to see the capabilities of the weather system but I can't help but feel it's completely taken over the game and we're being pounded relentlessly with the full might and power of some great force that is not nature...

Its not even that dark have you ever tried pitch black?