Game won't launch

kevgm

Question

I bought this on the last summer sale and actually played it a bit on my shitty laptop with Intel HD graphics while I was out of town and it ran quite well, but now that I want to play it on my main PC, it won't even freaking open, not even the compatibility one, all my drivers are up to date and these are my specs, I also have all of the Visual C++ Redistributable things installed all the way from 2005 to 2017, so that should not be any issue, my specs:

• Processor: 2.9GHz Intel Core i3-4130T (dual-core, 3MB cache)
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M (custom, 2GB GDDR5)
  • Memory: 8GB DDR3 (1600Mhz)
  • Storage: 250GB SSD & 5TB external HDD
  • Connectivity: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 1x1; Bluetooth 4.0.
  • Operating system: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64‐bit)

I tried verifying the files with steam, did nothing so I uninstalled and installed again, and it still doesn't work, I was really liking this game but this is so annoying I might leave a negative review if cannot get it fixed.

5 answers to this question

There are multiple possibilities to the "not starting" problem.

First one I would try is the VOIP problem that some computers have, go to your Steam Library > Rightclick Project Zomboid >  Properties > Set Launch Options > Type -novoip > Start the game.
If that doesnt help, try -nosound

If the game is still not launching, disabling the steam overlay:
Open the Steam client and navigate to the Steam > Settings/Preferences > In-game tab. Uncheck the box next to Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.

And if this doesnt help either, go to your game folder Steam Library > Right click Project Zomboid > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files
There is a file named "ProjectZomboid64.bat" run the game with that file and see if that helps.

If none of those help,

Go to C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid
Open the console.txt
Copy everything from there to https://pastebin.com/
Share the link to the pastebin here.

Let us know which fix (if any) helps your issue.Good luck!

On 23/8/2018 at 1:44 AM, Beard said:

There are multiple possibilities to the "not starting" problem.

First one I would try is the VOIP problem that some computers have, go to your Steam Library > Rightclick Project Zomboid >  Properties > Set Launch Options > Type -novoip > Start the game.
If that doesnt help, try -nosound

If the game is still not launching, disabling the steam overlay:
Open the Steam client and navigate to the Steam > Settings/Preferences > In-game tab. Uncheck the box next to Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.

And if this doesnt help either, go to your game folder Steam Library > Right click Project Zomboid > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files
There is a file named "ProjectZomboid64.bat" run the game with that file and see if that helps.

If none of those help,

Go to C:\Users\YourUserName\Zomboid
Open the console.txt
Copy everything from there to https://pastebin.com/
Share the link to the pastebin here.

Let us know which fix (if any) helps your issue.Good luck!

None of that worked, here's what the txt file says: https://paste.ee/p/PyIE2

Pastebin is blocked by my isp, but I guess that other link should work fine?

Yeah it works just fine.
I noticed in the console log that you are on Demo version 34, which is quite outdated by now.
Could you switch to the public version of the game?
The error also seems like a map problem, maybe creating a new map would help? Though I am not really sure because this is the demo.

21 hours ago, Beard said:

Yeah it works just fine.
I noticed in the console log that you are on Demo version 34, which is quite outdated by now.
Could you switch to the public version of the game?
The error also seems like a map problem, maybe creating a new map would help? Though I am not really sure because this is the demo.

I mean, I did try the demo some months back before purchasing it, but as I said in the original post, this is a clean installation of the game, which for clarification, is not the deno. And I am not using any special versions of the game, I have the betas option set to NONE, I mean, I could try creating a new map, if could open the damned game.

I guess the demo files and the actual game got mixed somehow? But I did a clean installation of the game, so I don't really know what to do now, guess I'll just delete anything related to the game manually, and hope that works.

Final update, seems I only had to delete everything inside the goddamn /Zomboid folder and it worked. Freaking steam didnt delete the demo files, thanks for all the responses, really appreciate your help, I did actually take a look at the console txt file but I would have never really noticed it said demo really, I'd probably just glance over it.

Archived