Vehicle Breakdowns

Spikelord

Maybe i have not driven the same car long enough

but my engine never seems to well..... break

sure the tires have popped at the worst of times

but i have never had a mechanical breakdown 

Can anyone enlighten me on how breakdowns work?

I haven't played PZ in earnest since about three months ago. I drove the same van for awhile last time I played and it never broke down. I don't think I've ever had a car fail without me crashing it. I don't recall the engine lowering in status as I drove unless I hit something. Just the tires, I think.

What breakdowns are you referring in your last sentence? Are you aware that they do happen but haven't seen it? I'm not familiar with this happening, myself.

If you mean in general why doesn't it happen I'd say that in the rather small amount of time most games last, I doubt even a single oil change would be needed. Other repairs are more about physical damage due to reckless driving, running over zombies, and going offroad.

From the standpoint of somebody who works on cars, the way engine maintenance works is relatively incoherent and doesn't reflect any reality of engine part wear.

There is no real maintenance required because having to perform oil changes (let alone fluids) was deemed too specific. Understandable, but not having real breakdowns or any real maintenance is the result.

At the same time, they use an "engine quality" which is a random 1-100 number. Regardless of your mechanic skill, if you 'rebuild' an engine (still plenty of questions about why that works the way that it does) it will still use the old number, making the mechanical skill limited to only affecting success/fail/break rates and not the quality of your work whatsoever.

How it currently works is that this is a gradual drop in condition (really not how this should work - real maintenance work revolves around replacing parts - you don't just bolt on headers and rods as the current way repairs work seem to wrongfully imply avec the sprites for engine parts)). As the parenthesis implies, you repair this by acquiring engine parts (from destroying the engine of another vehicle) and then following the ingame procedure to fix it (usually having the items in your inventory and the tool and 'applying' the engine parts to the other engine to increase it's condition).

How it ultimately should work for breakdowns is that if you run your engine without oil (or don't change it after an extremely long time - if implemented it should be something a player only has to do every few months ingame if the car is daily driven (or preferably after a certain distance in relation to the engine quality)) you may blow your engine from running it hot.

There should be three states to an engine - running, broken and destroyed.

Destroyed would be representative of an engine that has reached 0% or minimal condition. Less salvage available from these, perhaps give scrap metal instead of engine parts (or 1-2 engine parts instead of the usual).

Broken - now this would be a good fix to the gameplay/realism issue - would occur as a random rare breakdown taken in relation to the lack of maintenance of the vehicle or how hot the engine has been running (in relation to oil, for example - why the developers implemented engine temp and not the main fluid related to that is another oddity in how the maintenance system works). This doesn't change the overall condition percentage of the engine (but takes it into account for probability). What it would mean is that a part on the engine has broken and the engine will not run until the player takes another engine part to replace it. You don't even have to specify what part. Just use 'engine part'. Upon sacrificing your spare part to fix the engine, the engine will run again.

Other realism (and game balance) issues consist of the fact that you need to destroy an engine to salvage some of the parts (which cannot be used to rebuild an engine due to the extremely low condition one would have if the salvaged parts were actually used to build an engine). This makes engine rebuilds entirely impossible.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Short on time so this may not be grammatically correct. I'll make a larger thread in the suggestions about this. This alternative system still doesn't come close at all to real life maintenance but it's an improvement for the gameplay portion as mechanic characters would be more aware and able to deal with problems while giving people with some mechanical knowledge in real life the peace of mind that they can take real life precautions for their vehicles and have it have some reward ingame.

as for engine for the vehicles in PZ it seems that car engines dont ware down over time. Another thing that does not make sense is that when I crashed my car in PZ I have not gotten engine damage at all from the front end collision. also adding some spark plugs to the engine maintenance to help keep the engine running as well as the oil as suggested above.

Didn't expect that many replies So thanks 

On 18/08/2018 at 12:39 PM, Kim Jong Un said:

How it ultimately should work for breakdowns is that if you run your engine without oil (or don't change it after an extremely long time - if implemented it should be something a player only has to do every few months ingame if the car is daily driven (or preferably after a certain distance in relation to the engine quality)) you may blow your engine from running it hot.

A very Good Idea

On 18/08/2018 at 11:56 AM, BoogieMan said:

What breakdowns are you referring in your last sentence?

Engine suspension and Wheels 

19 hours ago, Tails said:

Another thing that does not make sense is that when I crashed my car in PZ I have not gotten engine damage at all from the front end collision

That's one of the reasons i made this post

And overall Thankyou

Archived