Moodles vs Animation

Hello all,

It has crossed my mind that when the animations do eventually drop upon us, will the need of the moodles system still be relevant? 

Alot of the Moodle signals may be more visual with the character e.g. bleeding, panic, tiredness. 

My question is, will this render the moodle system obsolete? If the injury system is implemented then we'll be able to see the degree on blood loss on the character instead of relying on an icon. Limping and bone fractures may also be visual along with infection, vomiting and such?

It's just a general thought.

YGROY

Of course it would still be relevant!

How could you possibly tell if your character is slightly hungry, or very thirsty, or feeling a little sad, or all of the above? You can't tell that simply from an animation. 

That's something I've not considered. I guess we just don't know how in-depth the animations are actually going to be. Will there actually be an animation for all those emotions? I'm not even sure if eating/drinking will be getting an animation.

The moodle tooltips give a you a very good idea of the severity though, something that can't be replaced by any animation. Also, I can't see the animations being extended to facial expression, so something like panic or anger (if it gets added) would be harder to display.

It's a good thought though.

Judging from this video's list:

It seems it's fairly in depth, but of course, we haven't seen all of these in action so who knows if they will make it in or give enough context for moodles to be removed. I'm at least assuming that they are actual animations created for those actions. Raking is one example we've seen.

I doubt it would be a good idea to remove moodles. Animations give the game more life and the moodles give details sometimes on how to heal yourself if you're injured or how wet you are. Even if they are that detailed to show a soaking wet character compared to a dry or slightly wet character, it's unlikely the majority of the player base would even notice a detail like that.

I have thought about it and really until we start to play them and judge for ourselves, we won't really know. Although I'm sure the devs would have considered it if they started to see in their own testing it made it obsolete.

Upon further thought, Moodles do give more background depth. I mean well, it depends how many animations we have to play with since the last proper demo we saw was in 2016. Seemed like they had a big library to play with then, now that vehicles are out they should be implemented soon enough. Right now they're coding... rain? 

1 minute ago, BoogieMan said:

I think it would be best to have animations compliment the moodle system, not replace either with the other.

I agree, it was just something that I was playing with in my mind. Hunger could be expressed through emotion and action but that would be best left to moodles.

Good god I just want anims to drop :')

In theory it could work, but how do you indicate all at once that a character is very thirsty, very hungry, tired, cold, exhausted, drunk...?

Maybe it could reflect your stronger moodle, but it clearly cannot show all that you are feeling, so moodles will always be relevant.

• 2 weeks later...

New animations or not I like the Moodles. I hope they keep them. Even better would be if they upgraded them. Hi-res Moodles please. Maybe even a bit of animation besides the side to side wiggle. Like the faces animate a bit and such.

Also, just editing to add this little bit, but I would love to see the Moodles added to the forums as emoji/emoticons.  :-)

Moodles let us know instantly if something is wrong and whilst it'd be great to see injuries on our characters, there's always a chance you could fail to notice one and it gets infected etc. Moodles help prevent that.

9 hours ago, Kaleidozombie said:

Even better would be if they upgraded them. Hi-res Moodles please. Maybe even a bit of animation besides the side to side wiggle. Like the faces animate a bit and such.

That'd be really cool. Little moodle face turns green when feeling queasy or vomits when your character is nauseous. 

Archived