DayZ seems to be picking up pace

Walther

So, DayZ seems to be picking up pace. Lots of changes to the server version... lots of testing. It seems like its really close to the relese.

Any of you into DayZ? I havent played the mod in ages but I played it a lot back in the golden dayz...

Meh. To quote my hero, DayZ can "Bite my shiny metal ass". Dean Hall is a good man, and his USEC crew brought some damn good stuff into ArmA 1 if you go back 5 or 6 years, with some other goodies once ArmA 2 came out, but DayZ is an example of a community killing disease, possibly one of the biggest examples out there. All the whining brats, and the idiot freakin people who have absolutely *no* respect for Intellectual Property laws, or EULAs, or any sort of license whatsoever.

If you're an addonmaker for ArmA and you find out some dipshit has been stealing your creations, labeling them as their own, and then putting them in a DayZ edit and telling people they will get such and such addon or such and such starting kit if they pay $5 for them, and you try to stop said dipshit from doing this/stealing your work/making money off your work, you get attacked by dozens of other dipshits saying that everything on the internet is freeware, asking if you're the creator then did you get a license to make a copy of such and such vehicle from it's RL company- insinuating you're as much in the wrong as they are, and what pisses me off the most is that the DayZ forum moderators join the dipshits in the attack. It's a complete and total frakking travesty. The example is of an acquaintance of mine, and the money these people are making through "donations" or "starting packs" that include his content? It's enough money that if he was getting it, he'd be able to quit his job and put his mother in a retirement home. A frakking travesty.

The only good news is that there will be absolutely no modding capabilities with the stand-alone game. Hopefully the ArmA mod version will die a quick and very excruciatingly painful death, along with all of it's IP theft promoting offshoots.

(Also... you know DayZ isn't "indie", right? Tis the only appropriate place in the forums, but my inner nitpicker compelled me to say that DayZ is under Bohemia Interactive, a fairly large and global studio...)

(Also also, I apologize for my rant. I've been in the BIS community for 7 years now. It's been like watching the decline of The Roman Empire. ArmA 2 was a giant drop with a slow but steady climb into greatness, but DayZ dropped us off the edge of a cliff, and ArmA 3 we're still rolling down a hill. Not a steep hill, but still half a mile down from the peak of A2. :( )

(Also also, I apologize for my rant. I've been in the BIS community for 7 years now. It's been like watching the decline of The Roman Empire. ArmA 2 was a giant drop with a slow but steady climb into greatness, but DayZ dropped us off the edge of a cliff, and ArmA 3 we're still rolling down a hill. Not a steep hill, but still half a mile down from the peak of A2. :( )

While I agree that with ArmA 3 and the development choices that have been made have resulted in a decline of the franchise, saying that DayZ "dropped us off the edge of a cliff" is strange because if anything it helped boost sales. ArmA 2 made its way back on the top sellers list of Steam when DayZ was announced and became popular. I can understand the anger (I'm a ArmA vet as well as a original OFP vet) but not blind to the fact that extra money in the developers pockets is a good thing for the series as a whole.

It's important to note that ArmA 1/2 have both been launched with relatively little substance to them and took a good part of a year for them to reach a level of completeness. ArmA 3 in a year or two will hopefully have the polish and assets that ArmA 2 had along with its expansions. My main gripe with the game is their creative design, its just horrendous. I've mentioned this before so not about to go into another rant about how bad their creative/art direction has gone.

However there's excellent mechanics in ArmA 3 such as the stance/movement and the non-clunkyness of it that ArmA 2 is famed for, which in a way has sorta alienated a large base of the ArmA 2 community despite it being an improvement. I do feel it has a lot of potential but right now its at least 2 years away before that potential can be reached.

Meh. I meant the cliff bit to refer to the community. Not the developers, not Bohemia or Marek or the amount of players or anything of that sort. Rocket's work is a spectacular boost to Bohemia, at a time when they definitely needed it. The influx of players and paying customers gave BIS the boost they needed to push A3 out, and "Take On Mars" and possibly Carrier Command but I'm not sure about that one. The short term effects = almost all good.

The mid-term effects though... the DayZ community is now it's own separate entity, and it's draining the life from the ArmA community. With continuous Intellectual Property theft by DayZ players and communities, more and more addonmakers, terrain creators, *content providers*, are leaving, or "going underground" and only sharing their work with a select few. The ArmA community, in fact the ArmAversum itself, rests on the shoulders of the content providers. Bohemia provides the public with an alright game. Not good, not great, but alright. Passable, worth the money, but barely. The content providers, people like Vilas and Rocket and GranQ and Rock and Wld and Franze and Footmunch and a hundred others, they are what makes the game good. They are the reason for OFPs success, the reason why ArmA 1 didn't get chucked in the bin, the reason why ArmA 2 survived long enough for BIS to make it stable, etc. etc.  DayZ will be a good game, Rocket is a good man, and I'm sure not all the DayZ players are represented by the idiots I've seen in their forums and moderator staff, but the reason I don't like DayZ players, the reason, if I'm completely honest, why I at times hate them, is that they are running *the community* the real underlying community of addonmakers, off. By direct theft for their little DayZ spinoffs, and by introducing an incredibly large number of people who don't give a rats ass about IP, into the community.

It just... it saddens me. What's good for the community has always been good for Bohemia, but I... I don't think what's good for Bohemia is going to be good for the community, long-term.