Zombies in the woods?

Laird Thaddeus

me and the work colleagues have a private MP server running. we have set bases up i various places across the map and have noticed if you just setup slightly out of town at a camp grounds or even build a house in the woods, just anywhere slightly remote the zombies never make it to the base. at the moment im setup at the cabins east of muldraugh. we are 4 months in game time wise and there are no zombies down here. if i go into town i pass entire hordes but none of them ever make it past the cross roads with Molans used cars.

we had the same issue on the last play through when we were right up in the north west living above the shop.

is there a way of setting it up so they actually leave the beaten track and come and find you?

I remember a long time ago when I was playing on the old map, I holed up in a farm house (This was actually back when NPC's were in the game) and lived a solitary life for a while, occasionally making runs into town to scavenge for soup cans. 

One day a random survivor comes running up the road and he brings with him half of the zombies on the map, trailing behind him. 

I just stopped and stared before shouting and running back into the cabin to grab the shotgun. ( I Put 28 days later theme on for effect ) and spent an afternoon blowing heads off.

As for zombie drift now I'm not too sure how it works, I think they more or less focus on urban areas and drifters tend to wander out into the foliage. I'd still watch my back if I were you, Zombies can blend into the trees surprisingly well. If anything, cutting wood and general noise from vehicles may turn a few rotting heads in your direction.

Lock your doors at night folks!

What I do is set the Helicopter event to 'sometimes' - so it will occur more than once. 

Every couple of weeks, the helicopter event happens, and it usually brings anywhere from 50-200 zombies to the base.

My friend and I are always in the same location when this happens, but the Helicopter event targets and 'follows' a random player. 

Any time that you hear a gunshot, scream, dog bark, etc, is a 'migration event' - which is a cue for the zombies to move to a different part of a cell, etc. 

It's possible these may eventually lead some small amount (one or two) to your base, but I just leave the helicopter event enabled.

We like to pile/burn the corpses outside,  clean the blood inside the walls, rebuild any walls destroyed, remove grass and bushes growing insde when the world erosion kicks in. 

Feels like it gives more purpose to building up your base / protecting it, especially if/when your walls are breached.

3 hours ago, Navarome said:

Boredom is the problem of this game.  its need an option for weekly consistent hordes like in 7 days to die, so theres an increase on difficulty 

I'd hate to have some arbitrary horde appear through no fault of my own. If that happened once every week, I'd stop playing to be honest.

I don't understand people's logic. I thought the whole reason you build a base in the woods is to get away from zombies. Something could be done to make zombies more attracted to bases in general, but only if the player is doing actions that would cause it. Sawing wood, building, vehicles etc.

This game is about outlasting the undead, proving that against all odds you managed to survive. Boredom is part of the simulation, in a real scenario in the position of your survivor you will face boredom. That emotion is a luxury, if you have the capacity to feel bored in the apocalypse then consider it a blessing.

You never know when you'll wake up to find the dead at your door.

my house is nestled in here against the lake. i take my vehicle into town about once a week for supplies (mainly nails and metal, the odd book). i mostly off road to get in and out but i have partially floored a strip to give me some road.

https://map.projectzomboid.com/#0.6854095103604153,0.32373763097366753,198.74211800847692

its a good 3-4 cells from the nearest zombie (before i killed it).

helicopter goes over quite often and every time i sleep there is an event of some sort. ive been the only one online for each event as well. none of the other players have been on for weeks (real world)

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2018 at 1:52 PM, OffitMan said:

I'd hate to have some arbitrary horde appear through no fault of my own. If that happened once every week, I'd stop playing to be honest.

I don't understand people's logic. I thought the whole reason you build a base in the woods is to get away from zombies. Something could be done to make zombies more attracted to bases in general, but only if the player is doing actions that would cause it. Sawing wood, building, vehicles etc.

thats why i said option... you select it if u want it or not

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Massi said:

(tophat)  You've Got Red On You

"This game is about outlasting the undead, proving that against all odds you managed to survive. " 

Este juego trata de sobrevivir a los muertos vivientes, demostrando que contra todas las probabilidades conseguiste sobrevivir.

ʻO kēia pāʻani e pili ana i ka hoʻopauʻana i ka undead, e hōʻoia ana e pili ana i nā paʻakikī a pau āu i ola ai

Lately, I've been setting the Sandbox options so there is a more defined goal... 

- Population - Insane

- Starting multiplier 2

- Peak multiplier 0

- Peak day - 365

So basically, it starts off ludicrous, and tapers off very gradually.... The goal is simply to last one year, at which point a cure is announced, and we get to go back to our regular jobs making middle-class wages and using coupons when we shop for groceries...

There's an option in sandbox under "Population" that you can choose. It lets you choose between "Urban Focused" or "Uniform". Choosing uniform should make it so that regardless of how remote you are zombies will spawn. You can also change the "Respawn Unseen Hours" and "Redistribute Hours" under "Advanced Zombie Options" to reflect on how long your periods of peace between zombie spawns are.

I've had this 'problem' on my last couple play throughs. Been in myself safe house for nearly 2 weeks with a broken leg and had absolutely zero threats to worry about.  

I had to stop myself and think that maybe it's just because I've played so many times, but I do remember the vanilla game being much harder. I don't like messing with the sandbox settings as I want to feel as though I've beaten the game as it was meant to be played. 

I'm not complaining per se. Before they are finished though, I would like to see the devs put into a place a version that is 'the game'. It's just more satisfying than having to set things myself with the sandbox options. 

I'd recommend playing with the population settings and choosing were your base is going to be. Different cities have different population densities. First time playing after a long time (last time I played Baldspot and Kate were still in and the game was on Desura only - I think GOG didn't even exist), I started in the first week after and took a farm outside of Riverside after living in a trailer park for a while. Some zombies (2-3) eventually found the farm but they were never a threat, except for one time I was building log walls and a straggler sneaked up on me and landed a scratch while I panicked.

In a new game I played with custom sandbox and played around with population levels - starting at 2.0 and in West Point with everything scarce. I died a couple of times in the first few days (you NEED to try and leave the city running like crazy) but one time I got lucky and found a car with a key inside. I hopped in and drove north of West Point, passing through gigantic hordes on my way (and crashing quite a few times). I stopped in 3-4 farm houses that were overrun by the dead until I found one that only had 2-3 inside. I killed them and set up base and I'd drive to the other farms to clear them out and to the outskirts of West Point looking for resources.

Everything was quiet for a while. One day I woke up in the pitch black night - could barely see anything, with zombies banging on my bedroom door and EVERYWHERE in the house. A huge horde just descended upon the place. No helicopters, nothing, they just wandered there, probably from West Point following my car's sound - they got closer and closer. I stumbled in the dark and only had time to enter a car without one rear wheel and I drove - fast - far away from there. I was still tired and sleepy so I went to another farmhouse that I cleared before to sleep.  In the following morning I drove back to my safehouse to try and claim it back, but I underestimated the size of the horde (that I couldn't see in the dark of the night) and got eaten alive.

Lesson was: never start in westpoint, makes zombies spawn more in peak day than starting with a gigantic horde.
In the end difficulty is something you choose and forcing yourself to raid cities because of loot rarity and increasing the number of zombies is probably going to end your peaceful life. 

Archived