How long do YOU survive?

Batsphinx

At least 2-3 months in survival, then I sometimes get inattentive and die cause of a scratch or bite. If this does not happen then my char survives more than 6 months. However, most of the time I get bored after the winter and start a new game. The late game and winter are definitely not challenging enough.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2018 at 3:52 PM, Dwight said:

Either I die the first week while establishing myself, or in the first months while doing something cocky (or being victim of a bug, like the dozens of zeds that literally spawned around me in the Mall).

if the server you are playing on was rebooted it resets the zombie locations. this is especially noticeable in the mall where zombies will always be located at startup. we had the same problem. cleared th call out nice a proper made a tweak to the loot respawn settings and on restart we were surrounded and had to c,ear it all over again.

8 hours ago, Laird Thaddeus said:

if the server you are playing on was rebooted it resets the zombie locations. this is especially noticeable in the mall where zombies will always be located at startup. we had the same problem. cleared th call out nice a proper made a tweak to the loot respawn settings and on restart we were surrounded and had to c,ear it all over again.

Nah it was in a singleplayer game, I already made a topic about it and EnigmaGrey responded to it, confirming it's a bug https://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24411-zombie-spawn-in-the-mall/&tab=comments

The longest I have managed to last despite the friend I play with the most is about 4-5 months (I can't remember exactly). The character that replaced that one has only been alive for 5 days and 11 hours. I'm not sure if I'll be going back to that game after my friend burned the safe house down trying to put a roof over the campfire. I died trying to put the fire out before it spread when I probably should have just let it burn. The next longest living character has been alive for only 2 months and 19 hours. Otherwise it seems like I can only last a few weeks until my friend does something to get me killed. Some games my character only lasts a few days or even a few hours. I rarely get into trouble when it's just me. If it was just me I think I could live a lot longer without any troubles, unless the game decides to throw something seriously unexpected at me or I get careless (some days are worse than others). I should try playing the solo game more often. I'd also love to try some multiplayer with teammates who aren't a serious liability. :-(

I don't really like the idea of a shorter year. I want the full 365 days, please. I'm fine with the start where it is now, but I'd be okay with moving it to spring. I think it would be a good idea to identify why people get bored and find ways to fill those gaps. There is plenty to do in this game, but once you get settled in I notice a lot of people get bored and either stop playing or get themselves killed doing something reckless to make things interesting. My friend gets bored just tending to the safe house and so runs off on wild adventures looking for fun. Sadly he insists I come along and usually ends up getting me killed while he survives. The current events and the helicopter seem to take advantage of the currently spawned zombies in the area, so if you've cleared the area out they seem to do nothing. At least that's how things appear to be to me.

Anyway, I think I would keep playing as long as I could, and if I die start the next character and try and pick up from where I left off and keep going until I could no longer sustain myself in the game. I want to play for as long as I could. If I ran out of things to do to keep things interesting I might stop and take a break for a bit by starting up another game and then returning to that one at some point so I could keep going. I'm going to try a solo game and see how long I live without someone else around to get me killed.

• 2 weeks later...

From hours to over a year.  Knowing that there are more mechanics to see over years and that I could face a year with floods or draught would encourage me to play longer, especially if you make it on purpose for wheather patterns to be different every year.  

Of course until NPCs are in is hard to really judge just how long we will survive.

But it could make some interesting stories: "I thought I had survival nailed down until I face the flood in Z year 2.   That thought me some valuable lessons.    Guess I should have studied about droughts too...   Never thought this lake would dry up.  No fish and all my field are dried up...   I hope things are better by the river."

Also has a side note, zombies should be slower in winter and so should we unless we have snowshoes or skis.

Water turning to ice and allowing zombies to cross it in winter would be nice.

Finally different ice thickness would be nice and could be both a killer and a life saver...   Travelling by yourself on extremely thin ice could be a death sentence.   Dropping all you gear and moving somewhat quickly over thin ice before the horde reaches it and crash through it with their combined weight...

The amount of story experience that could come from those things would add to it.

This is always how I enjoy your game the most.  I invent a story around my character and make things up and the game is much more fun that way (at least my version of fun).

I'm eager to try out the weather system more.

I think the problem is not the time, but events. Players get bored and create things to get action.

So most of the people die because they are bored, that's simple. If you want the player to stay longer, you must encourage him to survive longer rather than encouraging his imagination for suicide.

When you are playing solo, you are REALLY alone. Why not? But you must balance this loneliness with events. I know you will add NPCs, and i think it's something really important for your players to not get bored.

Maybe you should create events related to different game stages. Imagine the story of several groups and survivors, what do players do in multiplayer servers (mostly on RP servers) ?  Why do you guys play in multiplayer?

For the events:

Spoiler

In the first months of gameplay, we could get a lot of action: bloody "wars",  stealing, friendship, bartering, etc... After that, this kind of events will slowly decrease (depending on the starting date), and be replaced by other events as you play longer and longer.  When you'll be able to know when the (average) player will be supposed to be no longer sustainable, you could also add very late game events.

But i know NPCs and events require a lot of work.

SO! As it is said earlier in this thread, you could add some zombie siege (small and big) first, you must be forced to get out of your fortress, or at least get some action. I'm thinking about another zombie game i won't quote here, but the more you are camping in an area, the more difficult it would be. (But you have to find a reason for lore purposes ^^ ).

-> Game Stages based on Events

In short: You must create danger and action, but something balanced for the players to enjoy the game. Zombies are (almost) the only real threat.

UI and time:

Spoiler

I know you are working on the UI, but it could really impact the time factor too. If you have a very good keys config and know how to use it very well, you are earning sooo much time (i know what i'm saying!) ! Combine it with a new upgraded UI and you have much more time earned!

SO! Time is not really the question for me, managing player boredom (not the mood in game :P ) is the key, and some mechanics may help the player to be quicker.

I hope it helped both players and developers, and feel free to talk about events and UI in the suggestions section!

Archived