Ammo counter

MrTrololo

Same reason I won't include such a feature in ORGM. Guns simply don't have a ammo counter on them.

Some high capacity rifle magazines may include a transparent strip on the side allowing you to get a approximation of how many remain, but not on older ones, and once theres only a few left in the mag you can no longer see (the transparent strip is hidden by the magazine well).

Pistol magazines often have small holes in the back behind where each bullet sits allowing you to see how many are in there, but you need to eject the magazine to actually see.

For guns that use magazine tubes (pump action shotguns, some bolt actions, lever actions etc) no such feature exists.

Most guns don't even have a loaded chamber indicator telling you if theres something in the chamber. Some modern ones do but it basically just shows you theres something in the chamber...it could be a live round or a spent casing.

The fact you can hold the mouse over the gun in inventory and see the ammo count + loaded chamber is already a realism break.

• 4 years later...
On 8/5/2018 at 3:37 AM, Burger_Time said:

It's unrealistic. Over.

I agree with you, but just saying "unrealistic" is a really bad argument,and makes you come off as a little childish.  Zomboid is not a realistic game in any capacity, and if we removed everything unrealistic there would be very little game left. Please give him actual gameplay reasons.

On 8/4/2018 at 3:32 PM, MrTrololo said:

we should be able to see in HUD how many ammo left for and in our gun

only unpacked ammo in main inventory would be counted in

It conflicts with the design methodology of the rest of the game. You're intended to keep an active count on your ammo yourself, the HUD is designed to be a stopgap to give you only the most necessary information that you couldn't get otherwise. You can hover over your weapon in the hotbar or in your equip slots to see how much ammo it has pretty easily.

If you really want, you can download a plethora of mods that add exactly what you want. Zomboid is designed to be a very modular experience, so tailor it to how you want to play it. I did the same thing when the buggy durability indicator was removed, immediately went and got a mod that added a better one than the original, since I felt it was important enough to be on the HUD. I highly doubt they'll add an ammo counter, since they're adament against a weapon durability indicator.

Edited by PoshRocketeer