How to Edit Vehicle Skins

RingoD123

1) First create a folder structure for your mod, call the first folder something like "MyCarReskinMod". Inside that create a "media" folder, inside your media folder create 2 more folders, one called "textures" and one called "scripts". Inside the texture folder create a folder called "Vehicles" and inside the scripts folder create a folder called "vehicles". Your final folder structure should look like:

MyCarReskinMod
           media
                 textures
                       Vehicles
                 scripts
                       vehicles

Don't forget to place your mod.info and poster.png files inside your first folder alongside the media folder.

2) Copy, paste and rename the vehicles main texture that you want to edit/reskin from the ProjectZomboid/Media/Textures/Vehicles folder to your media/textures/vehicles folder. Use this texture along with the vehicles texture mask (also found in the same folder) as a template for your skin. The vehicle mask is listed in the code snippet below ("textureMask = ...") and dictates what part of your vehicle texture gets assigned to each part of the 3d vehicle.

3) Find and copy the original script of the vehicle you want to reskin from the ProjectZomboid/Media/Scripts/Vehicles folder and paste it into your media/scripts/vehicles folder.

Below is what the start of your vehicle script should look like, in this example we are editing the taxi skin:

Spoiler

module Base
{

vehicle CarTaxi
 {
     mechanicType = 1,
     engineRepairLevel = 4,
     playerDamageProtection = 1.0,
  /* The first model is always used as the vehicle's model. */
  model
  {
   file = Vehicles_CarTaxi,
   scale = 2.15,
   offset = 0 0.17 0,
  }

/* List the different skins for this vehicle here.
     A random skin will be chosen when a vehicle is first created. */
  skin
  {
   texture = Vehicles/Vehicle_CarTaxiShell,
  }

sound
  {
   horn = vehicle_horn,
  }

textureRust = Vehicles/Vehicle_CarTaxi_RUST,
        textureMask = Vehicles/Vehicle_Taxi_Mask,
        textureLights = Vehicles/Vehicle_Taxi_Lights,
        textureDamage1Overlay = Vehicles/Vehicle_CarTaxiOverlays_DAMAGED_01,
        textureDamage1Shell = Vehicles/Vehicle_NullShell_DAMAGED_01,
        textureDamage2Overlay = Vehicles/Vehicle_CarTaxiOverlays_DAMAGED_02,
        textureDamage2Shell = Vehicles/Vehicle_NullShell_DAMAGED_02,

Change the line "texture = Vehicles/Vehicle_CarTaxiShell" to "texture = Vehicles/"YourVehicleSkinPNGNameHere" and save.

Add your entire mod folder structure into your users/zomboid/mods folder, enable the mod on the in game mods page and play, your edited vehicle skin should now be in game.

You can download an example here: RingoCarSkinEdit.zip

2 hours ago, myhappines said:

Does it work for custom models from workshop, or only for existing models? 

Yes, you can use this method to edit the texture of a custom model downloaded from the workshop.

You will need to include all the folders from the workshop mod (textures, scripts, models and lua folders), along with all the files it provides, then just copy and paste the vehicle texture with a new name and point to that texture in vehicles script file like outlined in the Original Post.

• 2 months later...
On 24.07.2018 at 3:04 AM, RingoD123 said:

3) Find and copy the original script of the vehicle you want to reskin from the ProjectZomboid/Media/Scripts/Vehicles folder and paste it into your media/scripts/vehicles folder.

Where i can find the original script?

I already found them in the game folder :D Thanks for the tutorial!

Edited by nickwind

• 4 years later...

Hey I have been trying this out, Ive played around with everything I can think of. Every time I load up the game and spawn my test vehicle its is invisible. Just four wheels. Im trying to make the Mystery Machine, but all im getting is Wonder Womans invisible jet. Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

• 1 year later...