Fires burning down houses next to ours, without electricity or reason?

BlackSun

We noticed one of the houses in our 'hood having burned down, and not just one - soon it was a second one, then the one right next to us burned down while we were gone. What gives, how does that happen? It's completely random from what it looks like, and there's no water or electricity left that might cause a fire in the first place. So... how? And how do we protect our house from fires?

It always happened while we were gone, offscreen. First a house down the road, then the house right to the left of ours, then the one to the right. We're surrounded by burned houses, makes me kinda uneasy...

Edited by BlackSun

I'm not sure if that's even implemented, but are you playing a weather test build? There's thunderstorms in there and they could possibly do so, but I doubt it'd be it as you'd probably hear the thunderstorm raging in the first place.

9 hours ago, BlackSun said:

First a house down the road, then the house right to the left of ours, then the one to the right. We're surrounded by burned houses, makes me kinda uneasy...

Even in the zombie apocalypse, one can still develop anxiety :D I'd be worried too tho. I have no idea why this would happen, maybe an error when the buildings are regenerated when you comeback. is it on a server?

Are you sure your friend is around all the time? He is never out of sight, switching an oven on while you're not looking?

I guess someone is having a bit of fun by making it more spooky for you.

Edit: I forgot about the "no electricity" part, but there are other simple ways to start a fire.

Edited by Leoquent

11 hours ago, EnigmaGrey said:

Do they burst into flames or just appear burnt?

Just appear burned on return from somewhere, or when setting foot in front of our door. We've never actually seen a flame yet, but I've still disabled fire in the server settings and claimed ours as a safehouse. But I've seen a post of someone playing 6 months (ingame time) and reporting ~50% of houses being burned down. That sounds... like an issue. And judging from our own street (3 burned within few days, no electricity) and surroundings (2 other burned ones nearby) that doesn't seem like such a stretch at... IDK, just short of 1 month playtime now...?

14 hours ago, Leoquent said:

Are you sure your friend is around all the time? He is never out of sight, switching an oven on while you're not looking?

I guess someone is having a bit of fun by making it more spooky for you.

Edit: I forgot about the "no electricity" part, but there are other simple ways to start a fire.

Srsly tho, no he isn't.

17 hours ago, MrCouper said:

Even in the zombie apocalypse, one can still develop anxiety :D I'd be worried too tho. I have no idea why this would happen, maybe an error when the buildings are regenerated when you comeback. is it on a server?

Yes, server that pauses when empty, just us two for now, and thunderstorms yes, but we didn't actually see it happen. Also, if it was that, I'd really like that to spread out eavenly across the map, and not just stick around our 'hood specifically.

On 24.7.2018 at 7:03 PM, EnigmaGrey said:

It sounds normal. A portion of houses will burn down over time, or be converted into survivor houses. Kind of annoying that it's all in one place, of course.

Do unvisited locations on the server count in, or is it only the locations that someone has been to already? Because we didn't cover much of the map yet.

36 minutes ago, BlackSun said:

Do unvisited locations on the server count in, or is it only the locations that someone has been to already? Because we didn't cover much of the map yet.

It should only be based on time since the apocalypse (since the game started, basically).

Then, on load and if enough time has passed, the house may or may not be burn down or be converted into a survivor house. Ideally, this shouldn't affect houses that have previously been explored.

1 hour ago, EnigmaGrey said:

It should only be based on time since the apocalypse (since the game started, basically).

Then, on load and if enough time has passed, the house may or may not be burn down or be converted into a survivor house. Ideally, this shouldn't affect houses that have previously been explored.

That'd be around a month-ish then, and these two houses next to us have already been explored and visited by us several times - looting whatever we needed at the moment.

And, we've had another incident on our street - the house right across from us has converted to a survivors house, all barricaded and packed near bursting with zeds. So that's 3 out of 5 houses directly adjacent to ours, changing within just a few days ( ~1 week) of gameplay, after around half a month from start.

I've disabled fires in general in server settings already, dunno if that makes a difference. Server's paused when empty.

You said, these events happen upon loading...? Like, loading the world (player connecting), or cell (player leaving and coming back)? Do they then burn - as in spontaniously combust - or appear already burned? And, is there a way to tone that stuff down a notch...? Seems like a bit too much.

UPDATE:

Electricity is out, definitely, yet one of my friends had a house alarm go off - nobody else could hear it, but it still drew in a ton of zeds all the same. ... how...? Aren't those supposed to be off?

• 3 weeks later...