Setting for Zombie destruction preferences - playerbuilt vs. random target

BlackSun

We've had some zeds break into our "base" lately - and we noticed them completely ignoring everything, navigating around chairs and tables, to attack a cardboard box which I got from another house and I placed in ours, in the corner. They also attacked the barricaded window from inside, and outside. Everything else was of no interest.

This seems like some very artificial behavior at play here. I expected them to either just break the doors they suspect someone might be hiding behind, or just break everything in sight, the closest thing. The most interesting being player characters, the next doors that might hide them, and if the house party's up and going, they should just trash whatever's closest to them instead of homing in on that one particular cardboard box that a player once placed - ignoring all other cardboard boxes along the way, because they were there from the start. Breaking windows from the inside is a bit eh, but still somewhat fine, as long as there's noise from zeds outside. But the weird "TARGET ACQUIRED" behavior they display right now is just super weird.

Is there a setting to stop them from specifically targetting stuff they have no right knowing was placed by a human -after- the outbreak...? I'm fine with them trashing the place, but random choice in what they target would be better.

Edited by BlackSun

I take it none of the ignored stuff was picked up/placed/built by the players?

If so, then the game basically has two kinds of items: IsoObject and IsoThumpable. Only IsoThumpables can be attacked. These include windows and doors. This is done for performance and probably to preserve the map to some degree. If they had to evaluate every tile around them when moving and had a chance to become interested and attack them, then performance would likely tank. 

So I take there's no setting for this...?

Hm. Thought there would be, at least for aggro zeds inside player bases. Once they're inside, check for destinations to target, like they do for windows and doors (and player-placed other stuff) already. If it can be destroyed, just start doing so.

That would look more realistic, and give players a chance to try and save what's important to them. 20 zeds piling around one cardboard box tends to be over quickly. Then they just stand there.

If that can be done without supercomputers, that is.