Multiplayer almost unplayable - bug? Settings?

BlackSun

It's been a while since I last played - around 2015-16ish or so. Now, with GoG Multiplayer support for rented servers at my preferred hoster (finally), I tried to give it another go.

It used to go like this:

I'd spawn in an empty, safe house, loot it, and get going. Looting along the way to a good safe house, where I'd then set up base - go in, turn off lights, add sheets and close curtains, then loot and organize. From there, I'd go scavenge the neighborhood, until I can build rain barrels and stuff, but I never had to barricade anything. A few Zombies would sometimes follow me home or bonk on door or windows when they heard me, and I'd go out and deal with them.

Now, it goes something like this instead:

We spawn in houses, that either...
- A), have 3 Zombies in the same room with us, tearing us apart while closing all the windows that auto-open. We die.
- Or B), the house is empty, and just when we closed all windows, 3 to 5 Zombies smashed into the house to swarm us. We literally just spawned, are unarmed and have to flee in chaos already without looting anything - no weapons, food or sheets. We both died several times (like twice each) just spawning in. Excuse me, we're trying to read here...

Aren't you supposed to spawn in a guaranteed zombie-free house to prepare a bit, first...? Is there a setting...?

After that though, we meet up and loot houses - but food is set to "rare" by default so we're always hungry - empty fridges everywhere. Constantly sneaking and looking around, we find a promising, empty house. Approaching it from south, no zombies around as far as we can see, nor inside - we get in, switch off lights, add sheets and close curtains. Then we begin to unload so we can go scavenge nearby.

But while we're sneaking around inside the house to organize, suddenly there's 5 - 6 zombies in the room with me. They came through the window, which silently broke just 1 or 2 tiles next to me (I didn't select deaf)... this happened 4 times by now. Windows are breaking silently like 70% of the time, I died to it once, nearly a second time. We then have to evacuate in panic, leaving behind half of our stuff as the house somehow and without any apparent reason fills with zombies from all around, including from the north (while we came from south, and weren't followed).

That happened one, twice, then three times, and a forth time... it's a clear pattern by now.
I'm baffled - that's not how I remember playing this...? I don't see anything obvious we might be doing wrong here?

I expected to be building and fortifying a base once we got enough stuff to do so, and going on raids through the neighborhood with my pal until then.

- How do zombies from all around "magnet" to the house we're in for just 5 minutes?

- How do windows break silently right next to me?

- Do doors or inventory backpacks make noise when using them, or something?

If we go to a parking lot or open field and behave the same way (minus the doors and containers), nothing happens.

Even when there's zombies within view distance, they don't see or hear us.

Are there any currently known bugs with the GoG version, or settings we can use to make the game enjoyable again...?

I already set zombies to be active just during the day, decreased the population multiplier to 0.35, and set them to not randomly attack stuff hoping it would help. The zombies were really slow at night, but still, the same stuff happened to "our" houses. Just... more slowly this time around. Added a slight comedic effect, but didn't fix the problem, in the end.

Halp...?

Edited by BlackSun

Doesn't happen for you...? Like, Zombies won't become magnetic once you've been in a house for a few minutes?

Also, the silent window breaking seems to be on my side only... we got GoG Versions, and only my game doesn't make a sound, 70% of the time, if a window breaks right next to me. Which is pretty much game breaking... other times, the sound works just fine for me, too...

4 minutes ago, BlackSun said:

Doesn't happen for you...? Like, Zombies won't become magnetic once you've been in a house for a few minutes?

I'm constantly magnetic since I tend to shoot every zombie I see, the hordes constantly pull to my location. The rare times I do sneak around theres been no issues. We've had no reports of any problems from players, and their safehouses have remained intact even with hordes lurking around.

Update, with (somewhat) good news!

Logging back in near that last house, I found the area pretty clean - I went to retrieve half of our stuff again, and, as soon as I set foot into the completely empty, and now broken down house, the burglar alarm went off...

Shouldn't that have went off the first time we broke in...? Did it, perhaps, but silently? That would explain the zombies that came from all around... anyways, I hurried up and got the hell outta there, and sure enough, it was swarming in just a minute. I then used the gun I had found to lure the house party down south, out of town, and snuck around back north.

We then found another house, and behold, gameplay like I remember was somewhat possible, for now. It "only" took luring the huge, huge horde away for a bit with all the risk involved in doing so... dunno how long that will last though, so we don't plan on staying too long, just getting a car up and running.

My friend was pleasantly surprised at the gameplay shift, and understands now why I liked / like the game so much.