The wiki needs your help

Vaileasys

The official wiki has unfortunately been left in the dust after the last few updates. So I'm asking if anyone is interested in contributing to getting the wiki back to a partially up-to-date state again, to please consider visiting the community portal to see how you can help.

Whether you're a beginner or veteran in Project Zomboid, there is definitely somewhere on the wiki that your time and effort will be needed and appreciated. If you'd like to help but are clueless about anything and everything, please do leave a message either in this thread, the community discussion page, my talk page, the steam thread or on the discord #pzwiki channel.

Don't be shy, I'm sure all new players would appreciate a more up-to-date wiki that you've contributed to.  

Please consider contributing to one of the following projects:

The wiki is a place where the community can really come together and geek-out over the game, sharing knowledge and secrets they've discovered in their time playing. If you're interested in learning more about wiki editing, a number of help articles have been prepared for you, including a beginner's guide to editing. We have also prepared a list of priority issues that are in need of attention. For more out-of-date articles consider seeing these pages that haven't been updated since version 0.2.0p/0.2.0r (2012) and 2.9.9.17(11) (2013)

Edited by Vaileasys
New discord channel :)

• nasKo pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I am definitely not responsible enough to handle all of those changes but I did some miscellaneous quality-of-life changes like fixing redirects, adding/updating some pictures, and rewording. However I tried to make the General game tips page a redirect to the Survival Guide but I got my privileges removed temporarily by an automated system for trying to "blank out" that page. I was hoping to move all the information from that page to a technical-related page. Whoops!

1 hour ago, undeadryker said:

However I tried to make the General game tips page a redirect to the Survival Guide but I got my privileges removed temporarily by an automated system for trying to "blank out" that page

I've fallen for that one many times... Since your account is still fresh, you wouldn't have lost any of your privileges. I'll take a look at what you were trying to do.

Thanks for the contributions :)

EDIT: Redirected the page

Edited by Vaileasys

Any feedback on the new vehicle infobox would be appreciated. If there's anything that should be added or removed, let me know.

Also any recommendations for the layout of the vehicle pages would be appreciated, i.e. topics to cover, e.g. locations, available parts, etc.

Example page: https://pzwiki.net/wiki/Franklin_Valuline

Infobox.png.0e1d2174fe4d0f84df98f9ef9ceb672c.png

12 hours ago, Vaileasys said:

Any feedback on the new vehicle infobox would be appreciated. If there's anything that should be added or removed, let me know.

Looks great! I noticed that the information is repeated from the infobox in the article itself such as it being a 6-seater. Are those leftovers or placeholders?

Here's a new version of InterfaceGuide.png I wanted to upload on the wiki since it was missing the Furniture Options icon on its interface but I didn't have permission to overwrite it:

128727.png

Because of the ordering of the numbers and new addition, I have a new list that can be copied and pasted over the old list in the Interface section of the Survival Guide.

1) [[Player|Player character]] (you!)<br>
2) Primary equip, usually for weapons or tools<br>
3) Secondary equip, either for carrying [[Items#Baggage|portable containers]] or two-handed weapons<br>
4) [[Inventory|Inventory menu]]<br>
5) Character status menu<br>
6) [[Crafting|Crafting menu]]<br>
7) [[Controls#Build.2FMove_Mode|Furniture move/build mode]]<br>
8) Current time. Only shown when carrying a device that shows time ([[Alarm Clock]], [[Digital Watch]])<br>
9) Time controls, for pausing or accelerating time<br>
10) [[Moodles]], which shows any modifiers on your character

It's great to see the wiki being in good hand and getting some updates :). I'm often known to contribute much to wikis, having an account in PZWiki for a while with a few minor contributions myself, but I often tend to burn out in a while, not being good for keeping all things in hand for a long time.

Lately I've been mostly busy with reporting minor annoyances (bug and minor suggestions) on the forums, as you probably noticed, some of which already got fixed in the most recent weather test build (thank you PZ dev team!), even if there's no official notes yet, waiting for the next IWBUMS to come hopefully soon to see what made it there and hopefully seeing invincible multiplayer zombies so I can test how weather works in multiplayer with my wife properly and what other bugs creep out. Plus I have a few bug reports to make, based on my loose notes I make when playing still.

Anyway, back to the wiki, I've been thinking to contribute some info especially for food items and movable furniture (but I see you got that covered mostly), but I'll hold off with at least some major contributions until the next version comes to avoid some possibly doubled work (particularly because of the item correction bug report I made, some of which already got in the most recent weather test build – funny as I was the one that originally suggested moving Dog Food to Dogfood to match in-game name which will have to be moved back soon ;)).

Until then though, I have a few suggestions, some of which would require attention of PZ website administrators, as are not directly related to the wiki, but I decided to post them here in one thread instead. I marked them with [!]:

1. [!] Since we are giving more attention to wiki now, would it be possible to feature it directly in the https://projectzomboid.com/ upper menu? Currently link to PZ Wiki (and the forums) is located under "Community" section. It would be nice if it would be more prominent, similar to the (relatively recently) added PZMap. While at it, I think it would be nice to move forums there to and leave the "community" section to social networks and fansites – also, please update the link to PZMap with https as it currently redirects from http anyway ;).
  2. [!] While at it, would it be possible to add redirect to https:// to the wiki? Though that might be harder, as it's standing on a separate domain to projectzomboid.com or theindiestone.com while PZMap was pretty much moved from the old pzmap.crash-override.net to map.projectzomboid.com. Turned out there is https:// there, it just doesn't redirect you automatically to it. Ideally it'd redirect you to secure protocol when available, but even more important to update the link to https:// then!
  3. [!] Also, it would be nice if some changes would be made to Discord – I initially thought that #wiki channel there was to consult changes to wiki, while it's a bot spam channel to get info from totally different Undeniable PZ Wiki. To avoid confusion, how about creating a new #pzwiki-discussion channel where PZWiki stuff could be discussed, and renaming the existing #wiki to #bot-console or something similar which would be really handy in case SpiffoBot bot gets updated with more functionality or any new bots appears on horizon like in other popular Discord channels ;)?
  4. Finally, back to regular wiki maintenance – since I mentioned Undeniable "Hydrocraft" wiki being featured in Discord and there's even a Hydrocraft category with some content on PZWiki, I assume that while not official, they serve different content and there's nothing wrong between them, so how about addition of links to Undeniable database in item infoboxes etc.? Regular wiki may be slow with the updates and prone to human errors, so it would certainly be handy to have a link to up-to-date content generated directly from the game files :).
  5. It might be too much to ask for a starter and might even use some assistance from the developers, but since there's already a good place to track changes on wiki, something that certainly would be nice to take a look is how the TFWiki handles updates and lists all the files changed, e.g. on the July 18, 2018 Patch page. It would certainly be nice to see at glance which files were changed, especially those from the media and lua folders which would certainly help both users and modders to see what exactly changed that might be missed in the official changelog for whatever reason :).
  6. I assume the information on wiki should be based on the most recent stable version (which currently is on par with the IWBUMS), but should we mention the changes IWBUMS or other public test builds have on the actual pages too, or just leave it to the patch notes and forums until they actually gets implemented in stable branch? While at it, do you think it would be useful to also list the current public testing build (if active) on the main page (currently weather test at 40.3, previously vehicle test builds) with the link to appropriate info on wiki or forum?
  7. I also saw that you did much needed update to the main page listing up to date version and fixing other minor issues @Vaileasys, nice job! While at it, you can update http:// links to https:// when appropriate to ensure secure connections and avoid redirects and for starters at least rename the "Screenshot of the Day" title to something like "Featured Screenshot", as it was last updated on 16 May 2017 ;). I originally wanted to suggest a removal of it, as that section is rarely updated and just leaves the feeling the wiki is rarely updated, but there's issue with filling that spot and other languages that use it.

I may be forgetting something that I wanted to add, but I'll add it later. Wanted to leave that in the meantime, as I wrap my head around the other bugs and things I wanted to communicate :).

Edited by Faalagorn

11 hours ago, undeadryker said:

Are those leftovers or placeholders?

Yeah they're just placeholders. The layout will more than likely be changed completely because there's quite a few differences between each vehicle variant which I can see being a real pain to deal with.

10 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

I have a few suggestions, some of which would require attention of PZ website administrators, as are not directly related to the wiki

I'll pass 1, 2, 3 and 5 along.

10 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

so how about addition of links to Undeniable database in item infoboxes etc.?

That's a good idea. I'd probably have to add a tooltip with a disclaimer, since some items have been changed in some way.

11 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

but should we mention the changes IWBUMS or other public test builds have on the actual pages too

This would be a big ask since there really aren't that many of us editing the wiki. It would take longer to mention the changes than for the new release to come out. So I look at the changelog, do some testing if I need to, then add it to the page, so long as it's unlikely to change much in the next release. Such as changing some of the names, like LightBulb -> Light Bulb, etc. Also, the "History" section was removed for this same reason, the pages weren't being edited enough and going back through literally years of changelogs when they were to finally be updated, is tedious to say the least.

I'll consider bigger things, like the new weather system, maybe adding a notice to the top of the page mentioning that it's in IWBUMS or testing, etc.

While at it, do you think it would be useful to also list the current public testing build (if active) on the main page (currently weather test at 40.3, previously vehicle test builds) with the link to appropriate info on wiki or forum?

Something I was considering too. It's actually already added to the Japanese main page. So I guess I'll add it :)

rename the "Screenshot of the Day" title to something like "Featured Screenshot", as it was last updated on 16 May 2017

Screenshots is something I wanted updated too, along with those before me. But because it's attached to the main page, your average editor can't change or even add images. I haven't been an admin for long, but there's definitely a list of things I want to get my hands on.
Also, with the screenshots, I was considering waiting for the animations to drop, since that'll make it look even more outdated, but I'll guess we'll see what I have time for.

Thank you for all the suggestions :) 

11 hours ago, undeadryker said:

Here's a new version of InterfaceGuide.png I wanted to upload on the wiki since it was missing the Furniture Options icon on its interface but I didn't have permission to overwrite it:

It's because you're not logged in. I'm having the same issue... I'll try to sort it out or good Kirrus the network wizard onto it.

50 minutes ago, Vaileasys said:

This would be a big ask since there really aren't that many of us editing the wiki. It would take longer to mention the changes than for the new release to come out. So I look at the changelog, do some testing if I need to, then add it to the page, so long as it's unlikely to change much in the next release. Such as changing some of the names, like LightBulb -> Light Bulb, etc.

So basically part stable part IWBUMS/testing? I was under assumption stable was preferred, that's why I was holding with adding the stuff that was changed in 40.3 (such as the renames or missing nutrition), wanting to wait until it goes to stable instead, but on the other hand it would be kinda pointless to adjust everything to stable only to change it to the values the current testing have just because the next stable hits next month.

Also, the "History" section was removed for this same reason, the pages weren't being edited enough and going back through literally years of changelogs when they were to finally be updated, is tedious to say the least.

Technically you can forcefully go to the old versions in Steam using the download_depot command (guide here) to compare the changes manually – I also used to keep zipped lua and media folders to compare changes, mainly for my spreadsheet, but sometimes other things for curiosity in diff program – should be more reliable way than going through (sometimes missing!) changelogs, but it's still quite some work, so I understandable why it was removed. That's why I suggested automatic changelogs based on the files as TF2wiki does, as generally it's a good wiki example to follow and PZ files are easy to compare as they are done in an open, mod-friendly text fashion and not obfuscated archive :). TF2 obviously have way bigger community to keep its wiki up to date, but if something could be done at least semi-automatically, that's certainly something to follow.

Something I was considering too. It's actually already added to the Japanese main page. So I guess I'll add it :)

I see they are up to date, that's nice! Since you brought localized wikis, I guess some localized main pages could use some help, as sometimes even the language templates don't render properly. Something to look at is also using a template for the version numbers instead of hardcoded value – that way all language could use it without worrying to manually update the version, and you can even set separate (or not) protection level for this template, so even non-admins could update it. If you don't know what I mean, I may try to brew something like that in my sandbox hopefully to see how it works.

Screenshots is something I wanted updated too, along with those before me. But because it's attached to the main page, your average editor can't change or even add images. I haven't been an admin for long, but there's definitely a list of things I want to get my hands on.
Also, with the screenshots, I was considering waiting for the animations to drop, since that'll make it look even more outdated, but I'll guess we'll see what I have time for.

The same applies here, a separate template that isn't a protecteded page would mean any editor could update it. I don't suspect it'd be trolled (it often isn't in other wikis), but if so it should be easy to allow edit only for editors with certain verified edits. Plus other languages could use it. Even so, I don't think screenshots will be updated much, so maybe we should just use Thurstoid screenshots? Those happen every week steadily and are from the most recent version usually :).

44 minutes ago, Vaileasys said:

It's because you're not logged in. I'm having the same issue... I'll try to sort it out or good Kirrus the network wizard onto it.

I think you might be logged, as I had similar issue yesterday. It may actually be related to http:// vs https:// difference I realized before. Try changing http to https or going to a different page than the main page, as I think you are logged in in cookies, but the site doesn't detect it. Alternatively, try logging in in incognito/private mode or different browser/device.

12 hours ago, undeadryker said:

Looks great! I noticed that the information is repeated from the infobox in the article itself such as it being a 6-seater. Are those leftovers or placeholders?

128727.png

Because of the ordering of the numbers and new addition, I have a new list that can be copied and pasted over the old list in the Interface section of the Survival Guide.

1) [[Player|Player character]] (you!)<br>
2) Primary equip, usually for weapons or tools<br>
3) Secondary equip, either for carrying [[Items#Baggage|portable containers]] or two-handed weapons<br>
4) [[Inventory|Inventory menu]]<br>
5) Character status menu<br>
6) [[Crafting|Crafting menu]]<br>
7) [[Controls#Build.2FMove_Mode|Furniture move/build mode]]<br>
8) Current time. Only shown when carrying a device that shows time ([[Alarm Clock]], [[Digital Watch]])<br>
9) Time controls, for pausing or accelerating time<br>
10) [[Moodles]], which shows any modifiers on your character

Forgot to reply about this post yesterday – I like the new visible addition of the furniture menu and new tilesets are visible too. It will do as it is, as it's still an upgrade, but if you feel experimental few things to consider:

• Have you considered expanding the furniture menu to show all the options?
  • You can also host a multiplayer game to showcase the PVP icon and chatbox if you want to.
  • You took crowbar as you weapon, while the original had frying pan. Guess it doesn't matter much as will change with animation anyway, but it's one of the few weapon that doesn't use it's own arc, so your character is holding a baseball bat :P.
  • And finally, you can keep the original screenshot somewhere just in case too. It's of low priority as those screenshots can be easily remade, but it could come handy if anyone would want to change the font in the future or relocate some elements (Ideally a plain image where the text could be overlayed separately would be great, especially if we'd get some images with visible text for internationalization purposes, but in this case it's going an extra mile I guess).

EDIT: And about the vehicles infobox, something to consider: colors? Unless they are the same for all the vehicles out there.

Edited by Faalagorn
EDIT

22 minutes ago, Faalagorn said:

So basically part stable part IWBUMS/testing? I was under assumption stable was preferred, that's why I was holding with adding the stuff that was changed in 40.3 (such as the renames or missing nutrition), wanting to wait until it goes to stable instead, but on the other hand it would be kinda pointless to adjust everything to stable only to change it to the values the current testing have just because the next stable hits next month.

Stable is preferred, however little things like name changes aren't a big issue. I just take as a case by case situation and try to determine whether it's too big of a change to add. Also, if I figured if I start adding things while they're in testing, I might have it ready for the full release. I guess it really just depends. Also, we have a Page Updated tag at the top of the page which also lets you know which version the page is updated to. Those without the tag, are likely VERY outdated.

26 minutes ago, Faalagorn said:

Technically you can forcefully go to the old versions in Steam using the download_depot command (guide here) to compare the changes manually

I'd consider doing this, but it's a lot of work trying to update pages, add new content, think of design changes, create templates, test game mechanics, read changelogs, then add all the previous versions on top of that? I'd be drained and never want to see PZ again... But if you want to do that, feel free. :lol:

29 minutes ago, Faalagorn said:

I see they are up to date, that's nice! Since you brought localized wikis, I guess some localized main pages could use some help, as sometimes even the language templates don't render properly. 

Yeah those language templates not rendering really doesn't help with the wiki seeming outdated... It's a really easy fix though. You just need to either change it from:

{{Languages}}

To:

{{languages|{{PAGENAME}}}}

or hardcode the actual page name.
At the moment, since the English side is really outdated in many parts I'm focusing on that. Also, the Japanese and Russian are the only languages that get any attention these days.

35 minutes ago, Faalagorn said:

Something to look at is also using a template for the version numbers instead of hardcoded value – that way all language could use it without worrying to manually update the version, and you can even set separate (or not) protection level for this template, so even non-admins could update it. If you don't know what I mean, I may try to brew something like that in my sandbox hopefully to see how it works.

I've already made a very basic template for that, which is literally only used on the community portal for now. It's definitely a good idea to include it in all the main pages. I'll probably look at doing that now.

37 minutes ago, Faalagorn said:

The same applies here, a separate template that isn't a protecteded page would mean any editor could update it. I don't suspect it'd be trolled (it often isn't in other wikis), but if so it should be easy to allow edit only for editors with certain verified edits. Plus other languages could use it. Even so, I don't think screenshots will be updated much, so maybe we should just use Thurstoid screenshots? Those happen every week steadily and are from the most recent version usually :).

it's already like that. You can see the template here the problem is that the main page protection is cascading, so any template or file that is attached to it can't be edited, unless you have permission to edit the main page. I'll think of something, maybe a way to submit images? I've got a list of screenshots I've taken from steam.

39 minutes ago, Faalagorn said:

I think you might be logged, as I had similar issue yesterday. It may actually be related to http:// vs https:// difference I realized before. Try changing http to https or going to a different page than the main page, as I think you are logged in in cookies, but the site doesn't detect it. Alternatively, try logging in in incognito/private mode or different browser/device.

I tried all that, it's as https:// but still says it's not secure, which is odd... Trying to log in on a different browser or private mode is halted for protection against hijacking. Might be an easy fix for Kirrus.

48 minutes ago, Faalagorn said:

EDIT: And about the vehicles infobox, something to consider: colors? Unless they are the same for all the vehicles out there.

I can always add a parameter to the template, even if it's never used. Would be particularly useful for taxis, maybe.

I just did a lot of changes to the Survival Guide (probably more than what's considered healthy in a timespan). I'll look over it more another time but in the meantime any more feedback or changes are welcome. But its translated versions definitely need updating, especially with the new list and all for the UI, since English is my only language I feel I'm even remotely okay at.

17 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

Forgot to reply about this post yesterday – I like the new visible addition of the furniture menu and new tilesets are visible too. It will do as it is, as it's still an upgrade, but if you feel experimental few things to consider:

• Have you considered expanding the furniture menu to show all the options?
  • You can also host a multiplayer game to showcase the PVP icon and chatbox if you want to.
  • You took crowbar as you weapon, while the original had frying pan. Guess it doesn't matter much as will change with animation anyway, but it's one of the few weapon that doesn't use it's own arc, so your character is holding a baseball bat :P.
  • And finally, you can keep the original screenshot somewhere just in case too. It's of low priority as those screenshots can be easily remade, but it could come handy if anyone would want to change the font in the future or relocate some elements (Ideally a plain image where the text could be overlayed separately would be great, especially if we'd get some images with visible text for internationalization purposes, but in this case it's going an extra mile I guess).

Expanding the furniture menu feels a bit strange since it's supposed to be an introduction to the user interface but I'll probably segregate it into its own little section about working the furniture menu. Not to say I didn't change anything about it, but I think it's looking much better now. See for yourself!

18 hours ago, Vaileasys said:

Working great for me now!

5 hours ago, undeadryker said:

I just did a lot of changes to the Survival Guide (probably more than what's considered healthy in a timespan)

Don't worry about how many changes you make, especially on pages that are outdated or guides. It's just page layouts you have to be more conscious about.

I'll look over it more another time but in the meantime any more feedback or changes are welcome.

You've made a lot of good changes, I like it. Guides are something I really don't enjoy doing. I'm more about getting the facts down and organising.

But its translated versions definitely need updating, especially with the new list and all for the UI, since English is my only language I feel I'm even remotely okay at.

Yeah... the other languages are a mess... I figure it's best to focus on English and get that up to date, then it'll be easier to translate to another language.

Expanding the furniture menu feels a bit strange since it's supposed to be an introduction to the user interface but I'll probably segregate it into its own little section about working the furniture menu. Not to say I didn't change anything about it, but I think it's looking much better now. See for yourself!

You can always link to the controls page which has info about the build mode. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 6:51 PM, Vaileasys said:
On 7/28/2018 at 6:03 PM, Faalagorn said:

Stable is preferred, however little things like name changes aren't a big issue. I just take as a case by case situation and try to determine whether it's too big of a change to add. Also, if I figured if I start adding things while they're in testing, I might have it ready for the full release. I guess it really just depends. Also, we have a Page Updated tag at the top of the page which also lets you know which version the page is updated to. Those without the tag, are likely VERY outdated.

Wanted to correct myself here. 

While we update pages to the most current beta/test version we should/will be adding the Upcoming Template at the end of a statement that isn't currently on the stable branch. This can be modified to say the version that it applies to (e.g. "Upcoming 40" for Version 40), it will also add the article to the Future Category, so once the build reaches stable, we can easily find the pages that we've added the tag to. However, if the entire article is in a beta/test branch (e.g. any new clothing with animations update), then we can use the Future Template instead of the superscripted tag, i.e. upcoming.

Wanted to clear that up since I didn't think it would be such a great idea to add all these future things onto the wiki and confuse the majority of players into thinking something exists when it doesn't yet.

• 1 month later...

Hi, when i started to play the game some months ago, i was lost because the wiki was already oudtated from everywhere. But i have some questions as i'm new to wiki contributions:

How do we add pictures/gifs from items, furnitures, etc? For example for the plant growing state you have stage 1-2-3... and so on with a nice image not taken ingame (no screenshot).

I was thinking about reorganizing organizational structure, it would be easier to categorize things.

For example: The carpentry section with a sub-section for furnitures. It's not very clear in my mind, but this is an example:

Spoiler

Carepentry

-- Player Made Furnitures

-----

----- 

-- World Furnitures

----- Fridges

----- Heat Sources

But i don't really know where chairs (world + player made) would fit.

Is there an organizational structure from all the wiki available? I can't really find the whole architecture of the sections. Even it's a lot of work, i think it would be better for the wiki to be more readable, there are a lot of links going everywhere, even on russian pages lol.

Edited by CTN Phaco

50 minutes ago, CTN Phaco said:

Hi, when i started to play the game some months ago, i was lost because the wiki was already oudtated from everywhere. But i have some questions as i'm new to wiki contributions:

How do we add pictures/gifs from items, furnitures, etc? For example for the plant growing state you have stage 1-2-3... and so on with a nice image not taken ingame (no screenshot).

Hi and welcome to the wiki :)

The images are taken from the texturepack folder at: "\ProjectZomboid\media\texturepacks" inside .pack file types. So you'll need UnPacker to extract the files correctly. From there, you'll need image editing software, such as Paint.net, to crop the image you want.

56 minutes ago, CTN Phaco said:

I was thinking about reorganizing organizational structure, it would be easier to categorize things.

The organisation of the wiki is a big thing I've wanted to get stuck into, but it's such a big task. The current structure can be found here and I've been working on a new structure which is here
Any help with organisation would be awesome! You can copy and paste my WIP wiki index into your own sandbox and play around with it if you'd like.
The big problem I've had with the categories is that it's hard to make them nice and linear. I'll give you an example:

Spoiler

Furniture

-- World furniture

---- Refrigerators

---- Heat sources

-- Player made furniture
---- Heat sources

---- Carpentry

------ Tools

---- Metalworking

------ Tools

As you can see, that can start to get pretty messy, with categories like Heat sources and Tools being used in multiple subcategories... 

But, have a play around and we'll see what we can come up with.

If you want better collaboration, we have a discord channel :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...