Good sources of metal bars?

Rass

Metal bars are necessary for transparent barricading and building metal wall frames, but they seem to be extremely rare. The only reliable way to get them that I've come across is to dismantle road signs. Do you guys know of any more common sources of metal bars?

Never knew you could dismantle road signs, thanks! Does it matter if I've crashed into them? lol

I normally spawn/live around rosewood and find them in the garages, also Crates in factories tend to have them but as you say, few and far between.

Following thread :)

3 hours ago, MrCouper said:

Never knew you could dismantle road signs, thanks! Does it matter if I've crashed into them? lol

Not sure about that, but I'd assume it still works.

1 hour ago, Capt.Motty said:

There are some stores like the one on Riverside where you can find plenty. Idk where else since I've never survived long enough to use metalworking.

That's good to hear! I'm in Riverside and already looted the factory, but I haven't really done much looting in the town itself. Now just gotta find a sledgehammer, looks like I'll be taking a trip to Muldraugh...

I know for a fact the road barriers - those bars that raise or lower at a checkpoint - each drop at least one bar. For example, at the entrance to the country club near Riverside. So each checkpoint is 4 bars.

Otherwise I would try metal shelving like that in warehouses and storerooms. They sometimes spawn in warehouse crates too.

OK just found a great supply, playgrounds! The slides and roundabouts drop 1-2 bars each, plus sheets and scrap. Sadly, the swings aren't salvageable... they look like they'd drop a few bars or tubes.

EDIT: also, clothes stands in shops, even the small ones.

9 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

Nope. Just tested it and you can only pick up and dismantle unscratched signs (you also can't pick up damaged cones and mailboxes).

Thanks for the update, I'll take more care in my worlds now haha got a few streets that have been trashed from when I felt like being a vandal haha

On 14/07/2018 at 2:52 PM, Burger_Time said:

Disassembling metal shelves are pretty good way to get metal bars.

For some reason this is listed as Carpentry and requires a Hammer, but if you don't have a hammer the tooltip is still white and you can select it and walk over to the shelves but nothing happens.

I suggest it's fixed to be a Metalworking job and require a screwdriver, they are pretty flimsy shelves, shouldn't require a blowtorch. They do drop a couple of bars and sheets if you're lucky.

On 13/07/2018 at 5:12 PM, Noncuro said:

You can also dismantle the black fences in Rosewood and Riverside, around the rich houses. You better have a good level in metalworking (min. 4) to get a good loot.

Wow, I didn't think to try them, I tried the wire fences and they don't work so I didn't bother with them. Even at Metalworking 10 I was failing sometimes, but if they do drop it's 1 bar each so a long bit of fence is sure to get a decent amount.

BTW I was finding it really hard to work out where to right click to salvage them, then I tried the Pick Up Tool "Disassemble" option and it worked a charm.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived