Possibility of doing Drive-Bys with vehicles & more vehicle damage.

Icy Motto

Drive Bys-After reading the latest thursdoid and seeing the hit-and-run capibility being added, I thought, maybe we can also do drive-by shootings in PvP enviroments later down the line, kinda like GTA I suppose. I don't know if this would be a great idea or not because it might be too unbalanced as one can simply get a quick injure or possible kill with this tactic and run away with it, or maybe even kill multiple zombies in the safety of your own car. Of course my idea to balance this would be as the driver, your handling of the vehicle would be impaired by 50% when doing a solo drive-by. Meaning you can crash if you take off too fast or your car turns randomly like when your character is impaired when drinking alcohol. Or when accuracy is impaired aswell. Your friends can also help you out and you act as the get-away, this could be cool in RP situations or would make for some cool moments.

Vehicle explosions, fires, and disabling damage- Right now to me, vehicles are missing a crucial part to making them feel more "dangerous" to drive. It isn't punishing to just get an injury when crashing at 100Mph into a tree/building/car just to be able to take off like nothing happened other than some broken headlights and a totaled hood and windshield. You can still drive the car fine as there is no broken radiator that's on smoke and no possible engine fires either. The explosions would be rare, as they would require certain conditions to make them "explode". (car "pops" and is engulfed in flames, not a GTA type explosion where the car goes flying.) If you're in the car the moment you crash and you don't get out in time, you could die immediately or suffer heavy injuries such as burns and fractured bones. Also, cars being shot with fire-arms can damage modules on them, ie. windows, tires, engine etc... 

After all, you guys are trying to make the game pretty realistic right? 

EDIT: Nevermind, since no one bothered to tell us you can do drive bys in like no where at all then how am I supposed to know it's actually a thing. I never tried it because I thought it wasn't a thing, as I don't recall it being mentioned on Thursdoids. Anyways that's cool I suppose but it can use some further improvement later on. But I wanna know what you guys think of the second topic. So far, people agree with me. Thanks for your comments

Edited by Capt.Motty

1 hour ago, Capt.Motty said:

I thought, maybe we can also do drive-by shootings in PvP enviroments later down the line

drive-by's are already a thing...just roll down the window and you can shoot ;)

For the driver to do it though you lose control of the vehicle (basically) holding down the ctrl key means you can no longer steer, accelerate of use the breaks.

30 minutes ago, Arsenal26 said:

No kidding....   Did not know this...

Come on.... who else didn't know this ???  I can't be the only other one.

Arsenal...how could you not know this? This was the first thing I tried after vehicles hit stable...I'm losing faith in you here :huh:

I agree with the second point, cars are a little too safe right now. I think I've had one serious accident in a car that involved lodged glass, but I don't repair windshields or windows anymore and that's prevented it from happening again. Typically the most damage I've taken is half a character's overall health, but I just eat some food and drive for awhile and everything's gravy. I also don't repair hoods, because quite frankly, I'd rather murder zombies like a battering ram with full impunity than have to worry about fixing a part that, as far as I can tell, has little to no impact on protecting the vehicle itself or the engine. If it does have an impact, it's small enough that a person can drive for hours before needing to replace a hood. The only parts that really seem necessary to keep up with are the batteries, the engine itself, and the tires. I know loot is supposed to fall out of trunks with damaged or missing trunk lids, but I've also never seen that actually happen in practice. And I'd probably be more willing to replace missing windows if zombies could bite or scratch through doors that don't have them installed (if they can already, I haven't seen it).

Edited by Lawlmonster

2 hours ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

Arsenal...how could you not know this? This was the first thing I tried after vehicles hit stable...I'm losing faith in you here :huh:

Damnit Jim... I'm a Law abiding citizen not a Gangbanger!!!! 

LOL..  Well, I blame it on the Controller... 

Because for one, it changes the way you think about the input.... ie, You don't really move the mouse around like crosshairs, but rather just sort of push the directional in the general direction you want to shoot...  and the Trigger is the Gas pedal...  There isn't really a [CTRL] that's used constantly....  Good news is, it's quite seemless, and no real loss in control of the vehicle other than coasting abit when the Gas function switches to WeaponTrigger as soon as input from the directional stick is detected... As soon as the directional stick snaps back to Zero, the Gas pedal works again...

How embarrassing, this changes everything...    I like how you can shoot 360*

1 hour ago, Arsenal26 said:

and no real loss in control of the vehicle other than coasting abit when the Gas function switches to WeaponTrigger

Thats pretty much it with the keyboard...you coast in the same direction...but you cant steer, if you were steering before, your wheels kinda lock at that angle until you release, shooting while cornering is extremely tricky.

1 hour ago, Arsenal26 said:

How embarrassing, this changes everything...    I like how you can shoot 360*

Actually i've found from about your 1 o'clock to 2.5 (or 3 o'clock) is a blind spot..cant ever seem to hit at that angle from the drivers seat. Guess the windshield is in the way. Oddly enough you dont get that same blindspot firing backwards.

I've been driving all over the place shooting from cars...theres a trail of spent brass all over the roads lol. Instead driving through that horde, shotgun yourself a path and save your headlights :D

Most fun though is driving around with the ORGM assault rifles, get this massive horde following you as you slowly cruise, pull a bit ahead, blast away in semi-auto...once that large horde gets to your drivers side window flip it into full-auto and let loose point blank lol..then drive ahead a bit, rinse and repeat ;)

Also..its amazing how much accuracy you can get with a sniper rifle and lvl 10 aiming while taking potshots at 120mph

Edited by Fenris_Wolf

2 hours ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

Thats pretty much it with the keyboard...you coast in the same direction...but you cant steer, if you were steering before, your wheels kinda lock at that angle until you release, shooting while cornering is extremely tricky.

Actually i've found from about your 1 o'clock to 2.5 (or 3 o'clock) is a blind spot..cant ever seem to hit at that angle from the drivers seat. Guess the windshield is in the way. Oddly enough you dont get that same blindspot firing backwards.

I've been driving all over the place shooting from cars...theres a trail of spent brass all over the roads lol. Instead driving through that horde, shotgun yourself a path and save your headlights :D

Most fun though is driving around with the ORGM assault rifles, get this massive horde following you as you slowly cruise, pull a bit ahead, blast away in semi-auto...once that large horde gets to your drivers side window flip it into full-auto and let loose point blank lol..then drive ahead a bit, rinse and repeat ;)

Also..its amazing how much accuracy you can get with a sniper rifle and lvl 10 aiming while taking potshots at 120mph

OKIC....  lots of room for improvement with this feature...

First off, the blindspot... I figured since shots were going off, they were actually leaving the vehicle... DOH!!!

hmmm.... I suppose a cutoff of some sort would be ideal here to prevent putting too many rounds into the Passenger side A-Pillar.  Maybe a similar Cover notification system as NolanRi uses in SuperSurvivors! , where the NPC says "!!" when rounds hit cover instead of them... In this case, the player would say "DOH!!!" or something just to let us know rounds are being wasted....

Perhaps a OneHanded firearm ONLY rule ala' GTA.... or at a minimum severe penalty for trying to use a long gun inside vehicle...  On that note, accuracy should suffer across the board, so OneHanded firearms should be penalized also.... just not as much as Long Guns...

Oh man... this just became DAWN of THE DEAD > Meets > ROAD WARRIOR !!?!

Using your Profession Framework, a Driving Skill could augment ones effectiveness while shooting from a vehicle in various ways to enable those 120mph trick shots of yours.... Also, another bonus (or rather lack of penalty) for Collapsing stock equipped weapons fired from inside vehicles...

Penalty system something like :

-15% for one hand firearms

-30% for SMG's (10% added back for Collapsing stock)

-50% for Long guns (10% added back for Collapsing stock)

Also, Aiming Time penalty should be in full effect so long as vehicle is in motion (ie, instead of calculated against player running)

Aiming Time stat could maybe be multiplied as well to better represent the awkwardness of shooting from a seated position with steering wheel and stuff all in your way...

Gotta teach SuperSurvivors how to shoot from cars now....

8 hours ago, Fenris_Wolf said:

Thanks for letting me know! So to do it you just press/hold CTRL?