Vehicles should destroy small plants and hinder erosion

bpdlr

One of the major problems with vehicles is navigating off-road with all the tiny trees that are easily mistaken for bushes. In real life, even a small car would knock over and snap a sapling. Small trees should be destroyed by vehicles, and maybe larger trucks could even knock over medium trees (but still take some damage).

Vehicles should also destroy bushes and grass as they drive over it - maybe not all of it, but say 50% of the tiles they pass over. This way, if you drive along the same route often, you'll eventually clear a path. It would be cool if the tiles could turn from grass to mud after continual use, but I doubt that's a trivial coding task.

Yes, that's really annoying especially if you are away from the main towns. I hope it's something to be looked into, as there are more items that stop your car totally that wouldn't do so in real life.

Edited by Faalagorn
typo

Driving off-road after a few months of erosion is basically a nightmare, unless you've cleared the area recently those small trees pop up. At their smallest they are OK but the 2nd stage is the killer, it's still too small to throw a shadow (the normal way to spot trees) but it stops you dead.

On 13/07/2018 at 7:15 PM, Faalagorn said:

Yes, that's really annoying especially if you have away from the main towns. I hope it's something to be looked into, as there are more items that stop your car totally that wouldn't do so in real life.

Thinking more on this, and you're right. There are already objects in the game that are just "run over" by cars (traffic cones, mailboxes and signposts) but others that stop you dead (saplings, small fences) and others that have no effect at all (tall hedges confirmed, small ones and ornamental ones probably the same). More things need a "knocked down" version, or should be outright destroyed (saplings turned into a log).

Which reminds me, the traffic cones can't be picked up with the Pick Up Tool once they're knocked down, haven't played recently to screenshot it and file a bug. Probably the same with the others too.

19 hours ago, bpdlr said:

Thinking more on this, and you're right. There are already objects in the game that are just "run over" by cars (traffic cones, mailboxes and signposts) but others that stop you dead (saplings, small fences) and others that have no effect at all (tall hedges confirmed, small ones and ornamental ones probably the same). More things need a "knocked down" version, or should be outright destroyed (saplings turned into a log).

Which reminds me, the traffic cones can't be picked up with the Pick Up Tool once they're knocked down, haven't played recently to screenshot it and file a bug. Probably the same with the others too.

You can also just drive through some chairs, you rarely get to see that, but for example the plastic ones outside some houses and of source any player-placed chairs that don't block a tile won't block a car either.

Nothing can be picked or disassembled when run over unfortunately – that includes both types of traffic cones, mailbox, dumpsters, signs and most likely anything else I've missed. You can only loot them.