Very Heavy Load and Up Causes Injury: Can This Be Disabled or Reduced?

Good evening.

I am writing to ask about a recently included "feature" that didn't exist back on the initial Vehicle Build. I finally got around to updating my game and went from V39 or so to the very latest version that isn't in the Beta system.

Before the updates, I could carry up to forty nine Weight points on my back (bags were factored in) and only faced the inability to move or fight. (Yes, that's unrealistic, so I understand a compromise is in order.) Now, if I have even fifteen Weight points on my back, I instantly get injured and continue to lose Health until my load goes from Very Heavy to Fairly Heavy.

In that is the rub: Very Heavy is three points over the limit. That means that I can't carry more than fifteen Weight points on my back! My non-burdened rate is twelve if I don't get full of food! That's ridiculous! It really makes the game less fun for me, because I like to haul loot and logs. If I even haul a few planks from one spot to another, I get injured. If I carry everything I need to make a door, I get injured. I can carry a full-sized door by myself IN REAL LIFE and not sustain injury, and I'm fat and out of shape! Yes, that's with the doorknob, the hinges, AND the wood!

I don't see this as too realistic: soldiers can carry seventy five pounds of gear on their back. Lumberjacks and firemen can carry similar amounts. Heck, there are lay hikers than can do that. In my opinion, I believe that the penalty should start injuring your character after the weight load hits forty, and be lower if your character is obese. Or, it could be tied to Strength.

I'm not asking the game to be remade around this, but what I do want to know is if a Mod exists, or if someone is willing to make a Mod, that remove the instant and constant injury penalty for carrying a Heavy Load and apply it only to high-level Extremely Heavy Loads.

Thank you.

-TURTLESHROOM

Ignoring that I genuinely hate this feature as it just reduces the general health pool ...

Weight in the game isn't in piunds it kilograms. Its an imaginary bullshit value incorporating encumbrance, balance, and weight. It also gets reduced with equipped bags, making the measure further inaccurate to try and apply to realife.

You could carry a whole kitchen on your back if it were changed to 40.

4 minutes ago, EnigmaGrey said:

You could carry a whole kitchen on your back if it were changed to 40.

Dude, I could barely carry carry half a bed if it were raised to forty.

Also, I'm not demanding "Project Zomboid" be altered for it, I just want a Mod or an Options setting allowing me to adjust the limit before injury, because it really takes the fun out of the game when you can't carry fifteen Weight points worth of anything.

(Also, if we're going to make this that encumbersome, then we really need to lower the weight of things like tissues, cotton balls, alcohol wipes, and so on.)

(Alternately, injuries sustained from weight should heal extremely rapidly as opposed to normal injuries.)

I agree with TurtleShroom that the threshold for it is a bit too low.  That and it doesn't really make a lot of sense, even for gameplay purposes IMO. I've had to help move stuff that was way too heavy for us to be moving and no one got hurt, you just feel tired and a little sore for the rest of the day. Maybe microtears in our muscles just like when you work out but no actual injury beyond that.

Maybe instead have it apply a small fatigue multiplier. Like while you are X amount over, all fatigue gains are increased by 20% and increase the more you are over your limit. Something like that.

Or just increase the limit, that would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2018 at 12:54 AM, TurtleShroom said:

(Alternately, injuries sustained from weight should heal extremely rapidly as opposed to normal injuries.)

Isn't it like that already? I always ignore those injuries since they don't keep any permanent wounds and don't deduct your health beyond certain point, but on the other hand I also have fast healer perk.

I'd actually love more realistic weight on items as well, but not sure if it's planned somewhere down the road at all…

The encumbrance of items is easier to see if you look at it as how difficult it is to pack and carry the item. I think for the most part the system is on target with a few exceptions here and there. Although the system seems to be more about weight than unwieldiness which is reasonable.

Planks may be a bit unwieldy, but since you have to work with them so much I think they are too heavy. Boards of the size you see on barricades for example wouldn't be that heavy. Lowering that a little would be a quality of life improvement more than anything.

Bullets in this game are quite a bit higher than seems reasonable from weight/packing perspective, but that may just be a balance issue, I guess. In reality it can take upwards of 34-40 9mm rounds to weigh a pound. In PZ just 3 9mm bullets weigh as much as a jar of peanut butter. That's more than big shotgun slugs.

On another note, why does it cause sustained physical injury at all?

A random chance for injury, rolled every hour that you carry overloaded, with higher chance for injury on higher overloads, would make more sense.

IRL we start taking damage not when we carry heavy loads, but when we mess up and incur a particular injury from those loads.

Also, my sense is that there is a fatigue multiplier tied to weights already. Hopefully this multiplier increases with heavier loads, though I am not sure that is the case.

33 minutes ago, trombonaught said:

On another note, why does it cause sustained physical injury at all?

A random chance for injury, rolled every hour that you carry overloaded, with higher chance for injury on higher overloads, would make more sense.

IRL we start taking damage not when we carry heavy loads, but when we mess up and incur a particular injury from those loads.

Also, my sense is that there is a fatigue multiplier tied to weights already. Hopefully this multiplier increases with heavier loads, though I am not sure that is the case.

That's what I kept asking for . . . 

Give it a nice "sprain" or "pulled" or "torn" injury depending on the amount of weight and time endured or frequency of the strain vs physical fitness. Or something. Loathe the concept of an invisible health drop. This'll just further unfairly kill people, like hypochondria, misc pain, and colds combined with other injuries already can. 

The health system isn't exactly doing great right now, with it's combined approach to all maladies. 

On an alternative thought, does or what if, carrying heavier loads and sustaining these minor injuries, much like how real life works, caused or causes you to gain strength over time. Minor micro-tears in the muscles is how you generate muscle growth in real living bodies.

Archived